Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Addicted to...seltzer water?
Posted by: buddhistforlife ()
Date: March 08, 2010 03:16AM

So i am trying to wean myself away from seltzer water. i just crave it, and I'm not sure why. I drink the good stuff (i.e. high mineral, in glass bottles only). Could it be the minerals in the water? Actually, I like the bubbles too.

But it is expensive, and just I want to not drink it so much. Are there any negatives to drinking seltzer water?

Thanks for any info...

Re: Addicted to...seltzer water?
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 08, 2010 03:20AM

Well: #1 - I can sympathize.

#2 - I'm sure it probably has high carbon-dioxide & carbonic acids....but in the scheme of things....I think its a fine transition food. If you want to wean off it? Go ahead. Drink more fresh juice - of whatever kind you prefer and is easiest for you to make.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 08, 2010 11:53AM

isnt that the ant-acid stuff which alkalizes your stomach if so id stop before you cause a range of digestive problems.

Date: March 08, 2010 12:00PM

Fizzy water and lemon has always been my coke replacement drink smiling smiley I find it refreshing, but what puts me off drinking it is how it tastes when the bottle has been open a few days. It tastes funky (in a bad way), like I'm not supposed to be drinking it.

How much of the stuff you drink?

Date: March 08, 2010 01:22PM

Well, I drink maybe 1/2 to a bottle a day (if I have it around). I agree; it does not keep very well. But there are times when I just crave that fizzy, bubbly-ness. Lately, I have been keeping water infused with lemon or cucumber in the fridge and it is nice... but after a few days, I start dreaming of the seltzer water.

I mean, how odd is that?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 08, 2010 01:40PM

Seltzer is just carbonated salty water. I am guessing your palate likes the sparklingness and your body likes the sodium. You can purchase carbonation devices at kitchen supply stores to make your own carbonated water; if you want a low salt or fruit punch one, say. You could see if home made is as satisfying. Otherwise, seltzer water is, like, the least of many evils and I would not fret about drinking it : )

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 08, 2010 02:58PM

water kefir is a great way to get the carbonated type beverage but supply your body with lots of good bacteria in the process.

Date: March 08, 2010 04:41PM

Interesting-- I had never even heard of water kefir. Just googled it and found a very informative website (water kefir secrets). It looks promising; I may give it a try. I already make Kombucha, and enjoy its benefits and "fizziness."

Tamukha, you are right-- not the greatest of evils, to be sure. But I am spending way too much money on this product, as well as hauling all of those glass bottles around. Your idea of looking into an at-home carbonation device is a good idea. Thank you!

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 08, 2010 06:04PM

buddhistforlife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So i am trying to wean myself away from seltzer
> water. i just crave it, and I'm not sure why. I
> drink the good stuff (i.e. high mineral, in glass
> bottles only). Could it be the minerals in the
> water? Actually, I like the bubbles too.
>
> But it is expensive, and just I want to not drink
> it so much. Are there any negatives to drinking
> seltzer water?
>
Funny! I was going to ask about mineral water myself and whether any raw fooders include it in their diet. I think you meant to say mineral water because from what I understand, seltzer water is just carbonated water. In other words, it's not a natural type of carbonation. But then I also heard that mineral water contains inorganic calcium, which isn't supposed to be good for us. But a little couldn't hurt, especially if it's from Italy or something?
> Thanks for any info...

Date: March 08, 2010 09:25PM

Banana who-- right, I believe the correct term would be sparkling mineral water, or something like that (usually from Italy or Germany). Plain ol' seltzer water from plastic bottles tastes horrid... huge difference in quality and taste! I have no idea whether or not the minerals are actually absorbed into the body.

Good question.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 09, 2010 02:39AM

buddhistforlife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Banana who-- right, I believe the correct term
> would be sparkling mineral water, or something
> like that (usually from Italy or Germany). Plain
> ol' seltzer water from plastic bottles tastes
> horrid... huge difference in quality and taste! I
> have no idea whether or not the minerals are
> actually absorbed into the body.
>
> Good question.

I have bought it from Whole Foods--green bottle--made in Italy. It's like Perrier. But there's a brand in a can that is popular (can't think of the name) and it's just seltzer water--they carbonate it! And I don't even think it's filtered. The mineral water has its own natural carbonation. I am pretty sure that it's not from a contaminated source. I am thinking that Europe is pretty good about that...I am glad to see that other people drink this stuff because it really tastes like 7-UP without the sugar (lemon flavor)!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables