Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw water
Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: March 08, 2010 05:06PM

Folks.
Is there such a thing as raw vs. cooked water,with the same issues as food would have?
I drink steam distilled water only and wonder if there is anything negative about it.I would think distilling would make it cleaner.But it isnt "raw" per say.

Vinny

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw water
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 08, 2010 08:13PM

Vinny,

There was a post about this over a year ago. In it, I believe I said something about the fact that if the distilling is done in a container made of toxic metal, that could release toxins into the finished water. There's no real way to know this unless you visit the company that does the processing and take a tour. You could distill it yourself; there are kits. I drink reverse osmosis filtered water, which is filtered cold. But I don't really fret about cooked water vs. noncooked, as I still drink tea occasionally.

Posted by: faeterri ()
Date: March 08, 2010 09:25PM

Also, in what containers are you getting your water in, plastic. Distilled water in plastic probably contains plastic components. I also use RO water that I make myself. The cost of the unit was less than buying water. It also does not use electricity, but there is waste water. And then I store the water in glass.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: March 08, 2010 10:15PM

raw water -- defined
(civil engineering)
Water that has not been purified.

David Wolfe has a video describing how wonderful spring water can be, in ways he can't quite articulate but has something to do with minerals and energy.

When in Hardwick, Vermont we'd stop at a roadside spring and fill up jugs for drinking water, or go down to the spring at my uncle's camp, also in Hardwick. My cousins have a similar setup using a hillside spring in Wheelock, VT.

My well water is untreated. There are definitely pros and cons to it. A municipality would neutralize the pH and do frequent testing. I've learned to live with it.

Raw water can be a mystery as to exactly what's in it but from a trusted source it's very sweet.

Date: March 08, 2010 11:01PM

When I was in Norway me and my boyf. snowshoe-ed across a frozen river and our guide had us drinking water from a crack in the ice. It was the cleanest, freshest water I have ever tasted and was a pleasure to drink, whereas even ice-cold filtered water can sometimes have an 'ughh' taste to it.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: March 09, 2010 12:28AM

I get my water in #2 plastic containers from my supermarket.
I have no idea where its made.Or how.
Just know its distilled,and ozonated.

Vinny

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 09, 2010 12:57PM

Most Americans drink relatively pure water - even right out of the tap. I think that if you are concerned: Buy the purified water of your choice - and leave it 3/4 full in a glass bottle in the sun for 8 hours. Shake to oxygenate & drink. It should be very clean and oxygenated at that point.....and about as alive as you are going to get it...heh...heh.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: March 09, 2010 01:46PM

excellent... I came here to ask a question about raw water... and bingo, here's a ready made thread smiling smiley

I've recently started to drink spring water as I found a spring not too far away, I love it.

My question though involves water and sunlight. I've been accustomed to leaving my (filtered, tap) water in the sunlight for a day (as David mentions above), but now that I'm using spring water, after watching the Daniel Vitalis talk about how important it is to keep spring water out of the sunlight, now I'm not so sure... maybe just one day in the sunlight is ok...

anyways, here are a couple of interesting videos; the 1st is Fred Patenaude 'debunking' raw water and the 2nd is Daniel Vitalis's response.

[www.fredericpatenaude.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Awesome! xx

Free Newsletter: [bit.ly]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Blog: [RawFoodScotland.co.uk]

Date: March 09, 2010 06:26PM

At least in David Wolfe's video on spring water he talked as a mystic, for instance saying if the oceans lost their mineral content they would "levitate", raising both hands as he said the word. I didn't realize anyone was actually marketing "living water", which to me is simply a religious idea, having nothing to do with literal water.

Jabs taken at "cooked" or filtered water are truely low, messing with people's minds to no good end.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2010 06:27PM by loeve.

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: March 10, 2010 02:34AM

living in this sense is not literal. But water that has been in motion for a long time,IE-natural flowing water, is put together in such a way that it carries the most electrical current and is the most bioavailable. this is less and less true for water that has been sitting. water is cleaned by the sun, but considering that the spring water is clean, i see no reason to take away the benefit of properly put together water, by letting it sit stagnant for any amount of time. if i was drinking nasty water, yes, i'd let it sit in the sun. according to research, i think its more beneficial to "love" your water before drinking it, by showing it intention, rather than setting it in the sun. Also, if the decision is between distilled vs purified, then get distilled, as they are from the same source, i'd choose the cleaner one, the distilled. home distillers are getting much more popular lately as people are learning that no matter what filtration system you use, even Reverse OSmosis, you still have all the dioxins in the water. only distilled is ideal for cleaning. and spring is best.

The Raw Lion 440 pounds to 225 pounds!

Date: March 10, 2010 01:24PM

In his video above Daniel Vitalis describes his Maine spring water as "living" based on the presence of life forms in the water. He says to keep it out of the sun because eventually it could become a "swamp". It might take weeks and weeks for that to happen but it's fair notice that it's a truely raw water containing whatever bacteria and algae were present in the spring, which can proliferate given the right conditions.

Leaving water out to breath for a day is a way to let the chlorine from municiple tap water evaporate, sunlight speeding up the process. That's the theory anyway, seems to me.

Water sterilization in sunlight is done with raw water that is reasonably clean to begin with and then set in the sun in a clean sealed container for a couple days to allow the UV rays to destroy anything organic, as I recall.

Posted by: frances ()
Date: March 10, 2010 03:34PM

I think this is right, Loeve.

Water that has been chemically sterilized can benefit by sitting in the sun. Chlorine can be reduced, etc...

Water that has not been sterilized can grow stagnant sitting in the sun as the stillness and the warmth of the sun create a comfortable environment for most living things that might be in the water to expand and reproduce. Until water springs from the earth it's generally too quickly moving and too cold to allow much growth.

In between these, I imagine that distilled water would not benefit from sunning but only become stagnant once some life finds its way back into it.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: March 10, 2010 11:52PM

that makes sense, re stagnant vs flowing water.. reminds me of how cats much prefer to drink water from a flowing source... clever little things smiling smiley

Free Newsletter: [bit.ly]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Blog: [RawFoodScotland.co.uk]

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: March 11, 2010 03:11AM

Clean a distiller once and see the "minerals" (i.e. dirt) that you're missing out on and you'll never drink anything but distilled water again.

Date: March 11, 2010 10:33AM

what's the science behind leaving water out in sun? I'm confused.

Date: March 11, 2010 01:27PM

The sun has UV rays which can break down organic compounds, and has energy that I suppose can speed up reactions like the dissolution of any chlorine salts that might be present in municipal tap water causing the release of any residual chlorine gas which can then evaporate.

"Ultraviolet disinfection
"Ultraviolet light is very effective at inactivating cysts, as long as the water has a low level of colour so the UV can pass through without being absorbed. The main disadvantage to the use of UV radiation is that, like ozone treatment, it leaves no residual disinfectant in the water. Because neither ozone nor UV radiation leaves a residual disinfectant in the water, it is sometimes necessary to add a residual disinfectant after they are used. This is often done through the addition of chloramines, discussed above as a primary disinfectant. When used in this manner, chloramines provide an effective residual disinfectant with very little of the negative aspects of chlorination." [en.wikipedia.org]

[web.mit.edu]
[search.aol.com]

Date: March 11, 2010 01:56PM

> ...This is often done through
> the addition of chloramines, discussed above as a
> primary disinfectant. When used in this manner,
> chloramines provide an effective residual
> disinfectant with very little of the negative
> aspects of chlorination...

..by the way, "chloramines" are more stable than chlorine, so for those with tap water so treated it might take more than a day of sitting in sunlight to neutralize these chloramines--

"Removing chloramine from water
"Chloramine can be removed from tap water by treatment with superchlorination (10 ppm or more of free chlorine, such as from a dose of sodium hypochlorite bleach or pool sanitizer) while maintaining a pH of about 7 (such as from a dose of hydrochloric acid). Hypochlorous acid from the free chlorine strips the ammonia from the chloramine, and the ammonia outgasses from the surface of the bulk water. This process takes about 24 hours for normal tap water concentrations of a few ppm of chloramine. Residual free chlorine can then be removed by exposure to bright sunlight for about 4 hours." [en.wikipedia.org]

.. I guess it's things like this that sway some towards distilled, filtered or spring water...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2010 01:59PM by loeve.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 11, 2010 03:13PM

ozonated water is my favorite and has a wealth of benefits to follow.

ozone for the winsmiling smiley.

Date: March 12, 2010 12:39PM

powerlifer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ozonated water is my favorite and has a wealth of
> benefits to follow.
>
> ozone for the winsmiling smiley.

I saw a progam where spring water was ozonated in a verticle column where the ozone gas is allowed to percolate up through the water to purify it. Ozone is O3, pure oxygen.. can't beat that.

Even chloromines seem pretty harmless in the amounts used, 3mg/liter. I'd guess they get broken down quickly in the digestive tract. The problem is with fish aquariums where it could be absorbed through the gills directly into the bloodstream, or for use in kidney dialysis because of the direct bloodstream connection, or for people who are sensitive to the chemical.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 12, 2010 01:11PM

ozone water was one of the best things i done for my health whilst ill.

sadly i dont have a medical grade ozonator so cant try some of the other applications such as ozone enemas, bagging etc.

Date: March 12, 2010 06:21PM

Speaking of raw water and enemas, there's a survival show where a man on a raft has collected a bottle of water that contains bird @#$%& and who knows what else causing it to be too risky to drink. His solution is to take it as an enema, the colon acting as a filter while the body absorbs the much needed water.

Now that's raw water of a different colour.

I read saline enemas prevent anything from being absorbed into the colon (if that's an issue). So a salt water enema on a raft on the ocean would not do any good for hydration but in a controlled setting might be beneficial for cleansing.

I need to look into it some more..

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 12, 2010 06:43PM

I don't think it was prudent for "Survival Man" or whoever to have taken the @#$%& water through his colon; it's a gamble because the portal vein would efficiently suck any bird-borne pathogen, like meningitidis, right to his poor liver.

If you're ever expecting to go to sea, just remember to take something shiny with you and hope for a search party if she sinks, for heaven's sake.

Date: March 12, 2010 06:56PM

It wasn't the show, Survivorman, but in that genre, yes.

Date: March 12, 2010 09:07PM

"Is there such a thing as raw vs. cooked water" (OP)

Maybe this question has been answered..

"Raw water" is a civil engineering term and can mean anything from deep well, spring, river, or lake water to municipal outflow and even to sea water.

"Cooked water" is a contradiction in terms. Water can be heated and even boiled off into steam but cannot be cooked. There is no way to change the structure of a water molecule in the kitchen. You can change its state from ice to liquid to gas, but H2O can't be changed into something fundamentally different simply by adding heat.

just my opinions

Date: March 14, 2010 12:34AM

..more on raw water, it's not always potable of course and is sometimes beyond foul. Search and Rescue has put together tips on using raw water which again includes use of enemas as a potential life saver in extreme situations --

"Using saline and foul water -

"...Foul water collected on a raft is usually safe to drink but because of the taste it might cause vomiting. To avoid vomiting is can be absorbed rectally by means of a water retention enema.

"Another beneficial use of water enema: After a long period of dehydration (and diet) the stomach shrinks and can’t hold much water. During a strong rain storm, if you don’t have much container to store water, you want to fill yourself up. You can absorb up to one pint rectally.

"In case of severe dehydration the body will more quickly be hydrated with an enema. It is a method that has saved knowledgeable survivors. But careful not to use salt water (sea water is as dangerous absorbed rectally as it is orally)." [www.ussartf.org]

..they also discuss the *possible* use of sea water to stay alive though in no case more than 32 oz/day, though not quite a proven method. Explorers have been known to mix fresh and salt water to make their supplies last.

....what I wrote last post about heating water not changing it, could have been put better. Distilled water lacks electrolytes and so might not be absorbed as well as some raw waters particularly hard water, some adding back a pinch of sea salt or eating regularly for minerals.

Date: March 14, 2010 01:54AM

The account of the "real life family Robertsons" describes their ordeal at sea in a raft living on sea turtles and "poison" (raw) water. Putting up with the discomfort of hydration by enema might have saved them from having to clobber more sea turtles. It actually could have gotton a lot uglier.. has anyone read the shipwreck novel Life of Pi ?

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2010 01:56AM by loeve.

Date: March 14, 2010 12:24PM

"Raw vs Cooked" water

Raw water is being bottled by Summit Springs of Maine [www.summitspring.com] . Their website includes results from water testing showing very good quality except for an acidic pH of 5.7 [www.summitspring.com] which is not the most acidic water out there but quite acidic enough so it would fail the secondary standards of the Environmental Protection Agency [www.epa.gov] on grounds that it's corrosive to water pipes. Bottling in glass is good but expensive at about $10/litre shipped. They offer it in plastic at a savings of about $2/litre but then the question of corrosivity.

That's more on the pros and cons of raw water. The marketing of the product implies you can't be "raw" without it and uses the word "cooked" in the manner raw foodists do with food, which is a misapplication of the word as water can't be cooked, and so is at the very least confusing and at worst manipulative. Spring water is fun to seek out and may or may not be good to drink. At least with distilled water the pH will be neutral and you know roughly what you're getting.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables