Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Split Green Peas- Sproutable?
Posted by: buddhistforlife ()
Date: March 11, 2010 04:43PM

I found a glass jar of split peas hiding in the back of my pantry-- I actually have never heard of split pea sprouts.

Anybody successfully sprout these little guys?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Split Green Peas- Sproutable?
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: March 11, 2010 05:41PM

They do. I've soaked and sprouted split peas and some of the halves sprout tails while the others at least soak up water. They don't keep well though after all they've been knocked around a bit!

Posted by: cherimoya ()
Date: March 12, 2010 04:31AM

Maybe a half of a sprout.

I never tried but who knows?I would think not but Loeve says yes sounds a bit messy they must ferment fast.

Cherimoya,

Love Peace and Happiness,

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: March 12, 2010 12:25PM

When peas are split it is usually neatly on a fault line between the cotyledons (future first leaves), but the radicle (future single root) tends to adhere to one half or the other. That's the part that gets messy and results in roughly half of the split peas able to soak up water but not sprout while the luckier halves with attached radicles can sprout--

" The peas are round when harvested and dried. Once dry, the skin is removed and the natural split in the seed's cotyledon can be mechanically separated, in part to encourage faster cooking." Wikipedia

[search.aol.com]

..soaked or sprouted split peas need to be used within two or three days in my experience.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables