Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

sprouted jungle peanuts
Posted by: Ally ()
Date: August 18, 2006 05:48AM

Just thought I'd pass this on to anyone who's interested.

I ate my first sprouted jungle peanuts today, and they were really good! Usually when you buy them, a lot of them seem pretty stale, but when they're sprouted, they taste nice and crunchy, juicy and sweet, and just a bit of oily - very much like fresh peas off the vine (but a little oilier). They weren't at all starchy like other sprouted legumes can be.

I soaked them overnight (1/4 cup), rinsed them a couple of times the next day, and rinsed them the following morning. They had a bit of a sprout coming out when I ate them later that afternoon.

The jungle peanuts are aflatoxin free. Too bad they're so expensive. I bet they'd grow good in the garden though.

Best wishes, Ally

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2006 05:54AM by Ally.

Options: ReplyQuote
What on earth is a jungle peanut?
Posted by: Piano Gal ()
Date: August 18, 2006 02:33PM

??

Re: sprouted jungle peanuts
Date: August 18, 2006 07:15PM

Hi Piano Gal,

OH sorry! According to Nature's First Law, they are a certified organic, nonhybridized peanut variety harvested from the rainforest by the Shuar Indians of Ecuador. They were tested for aflatoxin by J. Leek & Associates (NFL calls J. Leek "the top independent allergen testing facility in the United States"winking smiley.

You can get more information by googling "Wild Jungle Peanuts".

They're really wild-looking. They're kind of reddish brown with dark stripes. They taste great, but some are kind of stale. The best ones come from the packages that have all the air taken out.

Except for the stale ones, they taste really good right out of the bag. But when they're sprouted, the stale ones seem to come back to life (though it's probably best to discard any peanuts that float).

They're in the (so-called) "superfoods" section of our health food store. Unfortunately, they're expensive. sad smiley

I've been eating about !/4 cup a day, sometimes 1/2 cup. They're very satisfying.

Best wishes Piano Gal and hope you're doing really well! -Ally

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: August 18, 2006 08:41PM

I agree with you - those raw jungle peanuts from Natures' First Law are REALLY good! I thought I was done with peanuts - and then I discovered them!

I have only ordered them once and I savored every last one of them. I'm planning to buy some more and try making a peanut sauce for zuchinni pasta.

But alas, now we've mentioned Natures' First Law: so we may have awakened the "RAW MARCOS MONSTER"! BEWARE!

Life Is Good!

alive!

Date: August 18, 2006 09:43PM

Hi alive!,

What is the "RAW MARCOS MONSTER"?

Date: August 19, 2006 01:41AM

the "RAW MORCOS MONSTER" doesn't like David Wolfe and his cronies over at NFL and usually he wakes up and growls any time we mention them.

Are you out there, "RAW MARCOS MONSTER"?

Life Is Good!

alive!

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: August 19, 2006 02:01AM

I used some of my jungle peanuts to make a spicy thai peanut sauce for some salad. But I ate most of the peanuts unsoaked and unsprouted. I'm glad to hear they can be sprouted easily. Thanks, Ian.

Posted by: lilpaws ()
Date: August 19, 2006 05:56AM

i was thinking about getting them from nfl but can you get them in health food stores?

Date: August 19, 2006 09:12PM

HI Lilpaws,

They're in at least one of the health food stores near where I live. I don't know for sure, but ordering them from nfl could be cheaper.

Best wishes, Ally

Thank you, Ally......
Posted by: Piano Gal ()
Date: August 20, 2006 12:57PM

I"m sitting here singing....to to the tune of Jungle Boogie:

Jungle Peanuts, UH UH
Jungle Peanuts, Uh UH

All is INDEED well - thank you for your very kind wishes. I return them! My album is almost done. Then it's on the road doing house concerts and sharing with people. This looks to be a very fulfilling year.

Love to all!

PG

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: August 20, 2006 01:55PM

What is the best price you've found for them, and where?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 20, 2006 04:20PM

Posted by: rooneyandmuldoon ()
Date: August 20, 2006 07:01PM

I just ordered some from NFL. Thanks for the referral!

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: August 20, 2006 08:08PM

djatchi,

Thanks, and oh they're so expensive. We should grow them here.

Date: August 20, 2006 08:41PM

Boy, you all are making me salivate. Just reading about the peanuts is making me a little crazy. I didn't want to spend the money, but maybe I'll decide to anyway. I've spent more money on food since going raw, but saved money on less eating out. Oh what the heck - I'm planning to save a fortune in health care costs and besides - WE'RE ALL WORTH IT!!!!!!!!

Life Is Good!

alive!

Posted by: juve ()
Date: August 20, 2006 09:26PM

do they taste like peanuts?

Date: August 21, 2006 06:23AM

Hi juve,

Yes, they do taste like peanuts, but not like the roasted ones of course. The sprouted jungle peanuts to me taste like peanuts fresh out of the garden (but maybe even better).

I agree with greenie. We should grow them here! Peanuts are easy to grow. They are somewhat unique because the little flowers push their way back down under the ground and then turn into peanuts. When the plant starts to die, the peanuts are ready. Pull up the plant and all the peanuts are dangling underneath it!

Until then though, the jungle peanuts are definitely expensive to buy. I like alive!'s philosophy: WE'RE ALL WORTH IT!!!!!

Congratulations on your album Piano Gal!

Best wishes, -Ally

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2006 06:31AM by Ally.

Posted by: juve ()
Date: August 21, 2006 07:11AM

nice! I personally prefer tree nuts ie. almonds, hazelnuts, pecans...

I've heard many convincing opinions that we should use peanut oil (and soy) for biofuels!!! sounds good to me! Stop feeding them to slaughter and dairy cows! Run our ridiculously heavy automobiles on it (until they're all light weight and electric, running on cosmic zero-point power)!!! Personally I would reconsider our idustrial cotton, corn soy, and wheat crops. Imagine what we could do in its place!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables