Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Update and thank you...
Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: March 14, 2010 02:41PM

Progress is usually thought to be good. However, in the case of ALS, well, "not good" does not describe it. I am typing this laboriously, with one weak hand. The progression has been quite rapid. I ended up giving away my juicers because I do not have the strength to use them. I am very weak. I still use my Blendtec.

A year ago, I was kayaking and rock climbing and doing yoga. Now, the process of getting dressed is excruciating. My once dominant right arm/hand are essentially useless. The left is going...

Why post here if not cured or if at least if raw, vegan foods are not slowing the rate of progression? It is quite simple: I feel somewhat better when I eat raw, vegan foods. But, the disease is progressing rapidly. In my case, although it is helpful, I think it is too late for me to be a cure.

Nevertheless, I feel worse when I eat the SAD so don't think I have entirely given up.

Modern medicine and society offer nothing. I do not have close family or friends to take care of me when I can no longer take care of myself, and I do not have long term care insurance, so the continuation of this trajectory will be circumscribed.

I want to thank everyone here for the guidance and sharing that helped me tremendously early on. I don't want to try to list everyone for fear of leaving anyone out, but a special thanks are due to Bryan for his making some things that seemed so complicated to me, so simple. It was his sharing that I needed early on to "get it" and continue with this lifestyle.

Your prayers, good vibes, and positive mojo for the journey ahead are always welcome.

With gratitude,

Lee

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2010 02:45PM by Lee_123.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Update and thank you...
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 14, 2010 03:23PM

Lee_123 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Your prayers, good vibes, and positive mojo for
> the journey ahead are always welcome.
I don't think there's anyone here who doesn't reach
out to you with their Heart.
Don't give up. If SAD, and Raw Food diet haven't done it for
you, I'd suggest you take your Healing to the next level. I'm
speaking to me too. I'm 'toying' with a 100% Raw Vegan Organic
Liquid Diet. I've noticed improvement with my ruptured disc. I
had a very nutritious Green Smoothie last night, and woke up
with Back Pain this morning. For me, eliminating all Fiber works
best. I'm sorry to hear that you can no longer use your Juicers.
Fresh Juices, in my opinion, is your next level.
If you have a Juice Bar nearby, that's where I would be living.
Go heavy with the Wheatgrass Juice.
Thinking of you.....WY

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 14, 2010 05:50PM

Lee,

Please know that I wish you comfort and ease, and that you receive as much joy in your life as the Universe can provide, each and every day. Your courage is heartening; feel it within yourself, and trust in the things that make you feel as strong as possible--food, rest, people. Lastly, and I don't know where you are, but please try to find resources for care for yourself. New legitimate organizations are cropping up all the time because of an aging population and disorders such as yours. Don't handle this all by yourself if you don't have to. Peace to you.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: March 15, 2010 04:40PM

Hi Lee,
I was thinking of you when a few people were remembering Arugula on the other thread.. you two seemed to really connect. Glad to see your update.

Total juicing has never gone out of style in some circles, the Blendtec great for that, and with all the fresh and frozen produce out there...

Where did you like to kayak and rock climb?

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: March 17, 2010 02:55AM

Lee,

Thanks for the update on your process. Your presence is a blessing, and your participation here has made a difference to me. I am glad that my input was helpful to you.

Hearing of your process is a reminder to me to stay present with my own life, and for me to attend to the feeling of peace, love and bliss, rather than to allow my mind's tendency to languish in thinking and though, which removes that feeling.

Should you need someone to connect with, I am available. I will be sending you my contact info in a private message.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: March 17, 2010 03:09PM

Hi Lee,
Please know that you're in our thoughts and prayers.
Also, I'd like to 'second' WY's suggestion that juicing is the next step, if possible.
XOXO

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: March 19, 2010 11:54AM

Going through your old posts it was just a few months ago that you were at work, this is a very rapid illness! Do you have any idea what caused it? In particular have you ever worked with chemicals or do you use insecticides in your home or do they use them at your work?

Looking it up in Wiki it said that there are several suspected sources, I also thought that it was interesting that soccer players get it a lot!

[en.wikipedia.org]
Despite not finding a definitive or primary cause for ALS, the onset of the disease has been linked to several factors, including: a virus; exposure to various neurotoxins or heavy metals; DNA defects; immune system abnormalities; occupational involvement in military service and elite sports (where the issue again may be toxic exposure); extreme stress; and enzyme abnormalities.

. . .

"The very high incidence of the disease among Italian soccer players (more than five times higher than normally expected) has raised the concern of a possible link between the disease and the use of pesticides on the soccer fields (several of which have been linked to neuronal toxicity)."

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: March 19, 2010 05:02PM

I'll bet its some kind of neurotoxin. For example, organophosphates are the basis of insecticides and herbicides. They are also the basis of nerve gas, which kills nerve and brain cells.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: March 19, 2010 05:31PM

One of Lee's threads was Spirulina (cyanobacteria) + ALS, which is timely since we have an E3Live (cyanobacteria) thread on the board now as well.

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: March 19, 2010 08:31PM

To Lee, thank you for your story. I apologize for not knowing what to say to help smooth your journey ahead, but I wish for you happiness and hope.

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: March 26, 2010 04:17PM

The following link is a post from curezone on someone inquiring about ALS. Don't know if any of the suggestions have been considered already, but if not, maybe something could be of some benefit:

[curezone.com]

Wishing you vibrant health

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: April 02, 2010 10:54PM

Thank you, everyone, for your kindness.

Sometimes I think the healing I seek is not, ultimately, physical. Although I sure wouldn't mind be able to kayak again...

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: April 02, 2010 11:52PM

Lee_123 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sometimes I think the healing I seek is not,
> ultimately, physical. Although I sure wouldn't
> mind be able to kayak again...
I'd like to run a 5K race.
Perhaps the Mental Body has to be healed before the
Physical Body can be healed.
Lee...How is your condition now? Any improvement?....WY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables