Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Migraines and a RAW diet, what to eat?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 16, 2010 11:38PM

Today is day 1 on the Raw diet. And it has been good so far. ; ) Yummy raw spaghetti for dinner. But I have a problem there are a lot of trigger foods that I should avoid like avocados and almonds and sprouts due to severe migraines. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to substitute those things for? I am open to anything at this point.
Thanks

Candy

Re: Migraines and a RAW diet, what to eat?
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 16, 2010 11:54PM

Candy,

None of those foods is essential; you could just omit them until a later time when you might no longer be sensitive to them. Unless, do you need these for recipes? If so, fatty nuts; soaked, rinsed, and homogenized in a high speed blender, can stand in for avocado in a recipe. Also young coconut flesh. Hydrated and blended hemp or flax seeds, to a lesser degree. Other nuts can sub for almonds, especially macadamias and cashews. As for sprouts: which kind make you react? Almost any seed, as long as it's viable, can sprout, so there are many kinds of sprouts.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 17, 2010 12:29AM

I guess I mean beans not necessarily sprouts. And I really should have no nuts of any kind...this sucks! But I am trudging.... gonna do it!

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: March 18, 2010 11:30PM

I like hemp seeds as my fat source, which can substitute for almonds or avocados.

Sunflower seeds are a cheap alternative to expensive nuts.

Beans are unnecessary, and no substitute is necessary. Beans are hard to digest as they contains high amounts of starch and protein, which don't food combine well together. Even with cooking, beans can produce serious gas.

If you are concerned about protein, don't be. There is enough protein in fruits and vegetables assuming you are eating enough raw produce to meet your energy needs.

However, if you are looking to replace the grounding nature of eating beans, well, that's tough to do with just raw produce. I guess you can create bad food combinations that are hard to digest, but I wouldn't recommend that.

The starch found in beans, and starch in general is unnecessary on the raw diet. To get carbohydrates, eat plenty of sweet fruits.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables