Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
E3 Live.... doesn't look that great.
Posted by: BackAgain ()
Date: March 17, 2010 05:41AM

I've been reading up on E3 live. There seems to be such a tiny,tiny bit of "vitamins" that I don't see how it's worth the price.

Supplement Facts: Calories 5; Calories from Fat 0; Trans Fat 0; total Carbohydrate (GM) 1 0% daily value; Sugars (gm) 1 0%; Proteins <1g 1% daily value;
Vitamin A 1890 IU 38% daily value;
Vitamin K 34 mcg 43% daily value;
Vitamin B1 27 mcg 117% daily value.

So that's it? The rest are such tiny bits of nutrients that it doesn't even qualify for the nutrition label.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: E3 Live.... doesn't look that great.
Date: March 17, 2010 05:42AM

Anyone have any opinions or thoughts on this?

I was considering taking it while fasting because of the "easily absorbed vitamins" but not impressed with the label.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 17, 2010 09:45AM

i dont like the supplement its a toxic algae compared to other better products such as spirulina, wheatgrass etc.

also remember that natural sources of vitamins tend to be stronger, you really dont need grams of vitamin C a day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2010 09:46AM by powerlifer.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 17, 2010 12:14PM

That is a good amount of Vit K, but not impressive otherwise. But people tend to take E3 Live in mega doses, so that would increase the nutrient profile per serving. After doing more research into how it's produced, I wouldn't take Klamath Lake algae, certainly not large doses.

Date: March 17, 2010 02:35PM

Well I was giving 1tbsp a day of it to my dog and I saw it work on him.

But he's 25lbs. So for people I guess it makes sense you have to take it in large doses. Which again doesn't make it worth the pricetag. Seems paying $150 for one of those frozen wheatgrass companies would be more worth it.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: March 18, 2010 12:25AM

well i wouldnt walk up to a pond and suck up algae so it doesnt seem really natural to take this either in my opinion. I put in the processed foods catagory .... of course its probably better then about a billion other things out there smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: March 18, 2010 02:11AM

Backagain,
It might not seem like there isn't much nutrients in it, but it is alive food, if you are talking about frozen e3. My experience with it was very positive, although I will leave it up to the company to make any medical or health claims. It may not do anything for you. It does have a very strong grass like taste. Gabriel Cousens is a big promoter of the product, and he makes some claims for it in several books, if you are interested look them up.

Date: March 18, 2010 10:14AM

its still a toxic algae though which isnt pristine as they claim.

id rather take spirulina or wheatgrass.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: March 18, 2010 11:23PM

I live in northern California, which isn't that far from Klamath lake in Oregon. Around here, in all the rivers, the health officials post warning about not letting your dogs swim in the river when the blue green algae is ripe, as ingesting this stuff will make your dog sick and possibly kill your dog.

Date: March 19, 2010 12:28AM

I watch this fabulous Canadian chat show, "Steven and Chris," which features segments on an array of topics, including decorating, familial relationships, fashion, and health. They have a holistic nutritionist who seems to always know her stuff. Today, the nutritionist was talking about foods that alter mood to naturally calm and energize. When she got to things that fight fatigue, she enthusiastically recommended E3 Live. I just thought, this is surreal.

Date: March 19, 2010 01:16AM

The only real way to fight fatigue is to rest. Get some sleep. Anything else is probably a stimulant.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: March 19, 2010 03:38AM

I am sure there are many species of algae growing in different locations, and under different conditions. Read up about product safety, one producer goes in depth as to how its collected and tested for toxins. Spirulina and chlollera are also tested for safety.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: March 19, 2010 12:02PM

They've done testing in Canada and say to use caution with some algal products--

"A broad sampling and testing of blue-green algal products was recently performed by Health Canada to measure the levels of microcystins in blue-green algal products available on the Canadian market and to determine the level of risk to Canadian consumers. Results of the testing, conducted at three separate laboratories, indicate that no microcystins were detected in blue-green algal products containing only the blue-green algae Spirulina. However, for many non-Spirulina blue-green algal products, particularly those harvested from natural lakes, when consumed according to manufacturers' directions, the resulting daily intake of microcystins was above that considered acceptable by Health Canada and the World Health Organization." [www.hc-sc.gc.ca]

..they caution about possible "microcystins" (excepting spirulina).

..the E3 Live analysis/serving size of 1 gram is tiny. It's about 1/4 teaspoon. So the Canadian Health suggestion would be to stick to this serving size but not long term until product safety is better understood.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2010 12:11PM by loeve.

Date: March 19, 2010 12:33PM

From the E3 Live website --

"We test for: Listeria, Salmonella, Staph aureus, Yeast/Mold, Coliform/E Coli, Aerobic Plate Count, Microcystin, Anatoxin, Saxotoxin & Neurotoxin. We meet or exceed all of the standards for each of these set forth by the FDA and Dept. of Agriculture."

[www.e3live.com]

..I would imagine they test each harvest since it's a natural lake and each algal bloom is going to be a little different?

Date: March 19, 2010 01:33PM

loeve,

But they don't test for organochloric pesticides and ammonia runoff, which, at least contribute to the initiation of flos aquae blooms in Klamath Lake. That's why it's so difficult to separate fact from fiction in the case of E3 Live.

Date: March 19, 2010 01:55PM

They do check the lake using drinking water standands --

"We also test the lake water throughout the year for heavy metals and pesticide residue and we use the standards and guidelines that are set for drinking water. These include: Arsenic, Mercury, Lead, Cadmium. This is done by independent laboratories specializing in food and water quality."

*If* they use the full EPA drinking water test it covers a lot of runoff toxins from farming --

[www.epa.gov]

..then calculating any toxins per 1 gram serving of E3 Live is going to reduce the exposure compared to drinking 2 to 4 liters of water a day.

Too bad E3 Live doesn't publish results of their tests?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2010 01:58PM by loeve.

Date: March 19, 2010 02:40PM

loeve,

Meh, I think the product is probably a bit of marketing overhype, if not exactly fraudulent. And Bryan is right--Tired? Rest!

P.S. I don't hold much faith in the EPA; their standard for safety being less than ten parts per million for this or that is better than nothing, but as a co-author of Slow Death By Rubber Duck has put it, any level over 0 is less than safe.

Date: March 19, 2010 02:57PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2010 02:58PM by loeve.

Date: March 19, 2010 04:53PM

BackAgain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...
> again doesn't make it worth the pricetag. Seems
> paying $150 for one of those frozen wheatgrass
> companies would be more worth it.

Wheatgrass might be a better buy, true.

Date: March 19, 2010 05:31PM

Prana Wrote:
> The only real way to fight fatigue is to rest. Get
> some sleep. Anything else is probably a stimulant.

thats not really true at all, there are many adaptogen herbs which arent stimulative to the CNS. Much like other foods which are supportive to the adrenal glands.

Date: March 19, 2010 06:36PM

>
> thats not really true at all, there are many
> adaptogen herbs which arent stimulative to the
> CNS. Much like other foods which are supportive to
> the adrenal glands.

Agreed. People usually have more energy on raw, that's like saying raw diets are "stimulating". I can get a buzz or zing from a fruit smoothie or green juice.. does that make it an unhealthy stimulant?

Adrenal glands can be a whole mess of issues to fix and "sleep" and diet" just isn't enough if your hormones are out of wack. Some people are so messed up they can go to bed early, sleep through the night and still have a "crash" in the evening due to adrenals/cortisol issues.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: March 19, 2010 06:42PM

I would take a look a maca root as an effective adaptogen. Recommended by Brendan Brazier, author of Thrive, I have really felt a difference with maca. I can't speak to E-3 live because like you I can't get excited by the nutrient content. I gave up chlorella for the same reason. Raising my own wheatgrass and brocoli sprouts seems a lot safer, less expensive, and more beneficial than getting E-3 live. You can fork over hundreds of dollars per month in "superfoods" needlessly. Maca is an exception for me because of both the science behind it and also my personal experience (faster rebounding, greater energy). When I experimented with chlorella, I had none of the same feeling. YMMV

Paul

Date: March 19, 2010 07:56PM

BackAgain, when it comes to healing with sleep, sometimes one night or even a full weekend of extra sleep is not enough. For my detox, I took 4 months off from work, and I slept 16 to 18 hours a day, including naps, for the first month. Each subsequent month I was able to reduce the sleep I needed by 2 hours per month. So for me, it took 4 months of extra sleep to overcome my fatigue.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 20, 2010 03:41AM

Word about the sleep. Just got back from a few days at my mama's and boy, did I ever sleep a ton! I feel great now and am surprisingly tired right now (11:45pm) when I usually have insomnia from the monkey-mind. I'm going to bed, I'm ready to sleep and I am feeling great from the rejuvenating powers of having lots of it lately.

Date: March 20, 2010 09:21AM

maca is ok but its nowhere as good as jiaogulan which has 80 sterols compared to macas 6. Schizandra berry, suma root are other good choices.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: March 20, 2010 12:21PM

powerlifer Wrote:
> maca is ok but its nowhere as good as jiaogulan
> which has 80 sterols compared to macas 6.
> Schizandra berry, suma root are other good
> choices.

Powerlifer,

Do you recommend jiaogulan tea or the extract?

Paul

Date: March 20, 2010 01:37PM

hey Paul, i recommend the tea or the powder, no extracts. My company Natu Health has just got our own brand organic jiaogulan supplement strength foil packed tea in if your interested(best quality ive came across). If i had enough lee way with money id have dished out a few samples to the forum. The tea comes foil packed and is better than any of the jiaogulan powders ive came across effects wise.

other adaptogens i recommend are schizandra berry(my 2nd fave to jioagulan), suma root(more energizing) and ashwagandha(more if anxiety/stress as it acts on intestifying GABA).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2010 01:39PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: March 21, 2010 04:02PM

The nutrient content on all raw organic food supplements are low on the labels. It's meaningless and doesn't show an accurate portrayal of how much nutrition we actually get. Yet if you look at all the synthetic labels, they all show very high amounts that are completely inaccurate because since it's not raw or organic, we absorb very little of it. A great way to test raw food supplements is on an empty stomach, especially during a fast. I found Ocean's Alive Marine Phytoplankton to be the most potent. E3Live BrainON with Phenalmin did have some benefit when I needed more minerals from greens. Others weren't as effective so I'm sticking with Phytoplankton as it's more than proven itself. Not to mention it has an unlimited shelf-life unrefrigerated and barely takes up any room.

There has been many who have found benefit to both E3 Live formulas, so if you're able to, you can test a bottle if someone sells it locally.

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Date: March 23, 2010 01:07PM

"There has been many who have found benefit to both E3 Live formulas, so if you're able to, you can test a bottle if someone sells it locally."

I'm also a believer in marine algae. Blue green algae is a food of Flamingos and the beta carotene is what gives them their pink plumage, ha, they must eat a lot of it.

[www.squidoo.com]

A Nature show explained how their bills are able to sweep through the water for the algae.

--looks good on them smiling smiley

Posted by: DionysianHonorio ()
Date: April 07, 2011 04:55PM

I know this is an old topic, but i would like to point out that the amount of vitamins in E3Live is hardly the reason to take it. It is a living food just like any of vegetable one grows in their garden, or just as alive as any fruit picked fresh off of the tree. All living things have life-force in it, which ranges in potency for each. this is now being studied and proven through research done in many fields of science, in particular, quantum physics. A freshly picked apple is going to have a lot of life-force in it compared to a steak that is sitting in one's freezer. The steak, of course, being dead, preserved flesh, isn't going to have any life-force in it all. In fact, since it is really dead meat and taxing for the body to digest, whether cooked or not, it will deplete whatever life-force the body has. The apple might increase the life-force after consumption, but not that much compared to the amount of life-force contained within blue-green algae. Let's not forget that blue-green algae, archaeans, and bacteria were the very first life forms to appear on Earth. The cell structure of blue-green algae is so simple that it does so much for us genetically, hormonally, chemically, and much more than we can even begin to understand scientifically. Vitamins are so unimportant when it comes to algae. One probably gets more than enough vitamins from an array of other foods they consume. The "Life-force" is what is important. When one consumes E3Live, immediately after consumption, the body's life-force, or energy, is greatly increased. This increase in Life-force can actually be measured with machines. So, too, can the life-force within each living food. Fresh-water algae's, Sea vegetables, and sprouts and grasses are all incredibly high in this life-force and that is why they are so vital to life. They all make it possible for us to live on earth, whether eaten or not, because they provide oxygen. Blue-green algae has a lot of oxygen, so when consumed, one feels as if they have just received extra oxygen from a tank. Try it for yourself, and don't worry about the "unimpressive" amount of vitamins that are contained within it. That is by far the last thing one should look forward to when about to eat this algae. Feel the increase in energy after eating it, that is what will draw you towards it. It will repair damaged cells and the DNA structure in the body. It'll bring you to your natural state faster than the absolute, very best vegetables picked completely fresh from your garden and eaten immediately, even if it has less vitamins, because the life-force is so much more potent and abundant. Try it for yourself and see.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables