Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Salicylate sensitivity
Posted by: newhoove ()
Date: March 19, 2010 06:37PM

Salicylates are derivatives of salicylic acid that occur naturally in plants and serve as a natural immune hormone and preservative, protecting the plants against diseases, insects, fungi, and harmful bacteria.

Some people have sensitivities to synthetic (aspirin) and natural sources (found in vegetables and fruits). They may also be called food intolerances. A synthetic source is aspirin. Some drugs for digestive disorders, more specifically ASA drugs, are salicylates. I know a handful of people who tell me that the ASA drugs they take to manage digestive disorders made them worse.

I really think digestive disorders are easily misdiagnosed informally and formally as digestive disorders or candida problems. When the root of the problem is salicylate sensitivity.

I know this concept is relevant to autism literature as well.

What do you think?

Does anyone have any experience with having a sensitivity to salicylates found in fruits in vegetables? If so, what did you do?

Would a salicylate sensitivity go hand in hand with fungal/bacteria over-growth since the body is sensitive against the natural anti-bacterial/fungal properties of salicylates?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Salicylate sensitivity
Date: March 19, 2010 09:15PM

I have this. I'm self-diagnosed, but my (new) doctor agrees with me after an anaphalactic shock incident. The worst things I can put in my body (aside from aspirin) are e-numbers such as preservatives, so being raw automatically cuts out the worst culprits.

When I was young I went for a 30-day allergy test (results showed I reacted to some allergens, but also some placebos. The test wasn't controlled in any way so the doctors assumed the allergy could be stress-related), and saw two different doctors. No doctor EVER suggested I had salicylate sensitivity despite the obvious aspirin issue.

Also, other factors make the allergic reaction stronger- eating on an empty stomach, being too hot etc.

Date: March 20, 2010 08:29PM

Interesting! So there is a gradation of symptoms (mild/moderate/severe) based on the level of salicylate 'ON' the food or 'IN' the food?

Do you still experience difficulties with raw foods with higher salicylate levels?

Anaphalactic shock is probably the worse symptom, but how do other symptoms present themselves at milder levels?

Current literature suggests salicylate sensitivity is caused by a blocked PST pathway (phenol sulfate-transferase). This pathway is an important detoxification pathway for phenols, which salicylates are are subset.

Ways to unblock this pathway is to take supplements like sulfur (MSM) or bathing in epson salts, along with dietary changes/modifications by reducing phenols (Feingold program). I do see some enzymes out on the market specially designed for phenols too.

So I'm guessing its reversible?

I'm wondering...... hmm

Date: March 22, 2010 05:01PM

Yes, the symptoms are pretty varied starting with a light nettle-type rash (hives) to extreme (hives covering entire body) to swollen lips-then swollen eyes- then swollen throat. I've also had a massive pain in my jaw that goes down my neck/back and shoulders. Years ago, that pain would be so bad I would have lay down immediately. Once, I had to lay on a low wall outside a shopping centre because I was in agony! I'm not sure if or how the pain is related to my salicylate sensitivity but there did seem to be a trend with it being onset by drinking fizzy drinks like Dr Pepper and Pepsi Max!

In all honesty, I'm off and on raw so much it's difficult to say if any/which raw produce are also catalysts. I am a little wary of orange juice as I've noticed feeling a bit lethargic after drinking it. At some point, I'd like to be consistantly high-100% raw during which I'll definitely keep an allergy log!

Without fail, the best thing to alleviate it is to rest, stay calm and drink lots of ice cold water.

I've always just 'dealt' with it rather than investigate it so thank you for the info about msm and phenol info. I'll def. look into that smiling smiley

Date: March 23, 2010 02:49AM

Thx for sharing.
Best of luck to you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables