Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How do you eat your avocados?
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: April 01, 2010 12:37AM

I have recently re-discovered this delectable fruit, and have simply been enjoying them by just cutting them down the middle & scooping the fruit out of the skin. I can only get them "organic" at one store I go to that is about 25 miles away.

I can only get a few at a time as they don't keep very long for me, they go bad rather quickly just sitting on the counter. Doing some online research, I see where some folks scoop out the fruit & freeze them for up to 6 mo.

I don't know if they would retain the same consistency/taste once thawed. How do you eat/store/enjoy your avocados?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do you eat your avocados?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 01, 2010 01:06AM

Avo is one of those things that you don't have to bother buying organic, they are pretty hardy and not sprayed much if at all. I always have several in the kitchen, I buy them hard and green only because if they are even slightly ripe at the shop I know they will be bruised. I keep them in a set of hanging baskets in the kitchen window and when they are ripe (yield to gentle pressure) I put them into the fridge and buy some more green ones to hang up. By the time I'm finished the ones in the fridge the others are ready to eat and I buy more green ones (usually 5 at a time).

I mash them with garlic, lemon, cumin, a touch of sea salt, sometimes adding some chopped tomato and celery for guacamole. I also dice them into salad and sometimes soup, use them in sandwiches (with regular bread or the dehydrated kind) and I eat them on their own every now and then. I love avo though I wish they didn't have to travel so far to get to my plate.

Date: April 01, 2010 01:29AM

Coco,

Curious - how do you know that these are not sprayed?

I try to stay away from the softer ones too, they definitely don't last long. We have been getting the "Hass" variety. Have you had any of the others? Do they have a similar taste?

Posted by: dvdai ()
Date: April 01, 2010 01:30AM

quickly

david

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: April 01, 2010 01:35AM

That's good to know about not having to buy organic, my next step is to go mostly organic and I've been thinking about what is important to buy organic and what is not.

I do basically what coco does except I buy 4 every time I go shopping instead of 5 - I consider this vital to my raw food habits. Like her I also buy the greenest ones I can find to avoid bruising. I make a guacolmole every day for lunch that is about 1/5 avocado and the rest is greens and vegetables like celery, tomato, lemon juice and beets.

Date: April 01, 2010 03:55AM

There is a produce list out there of the 12 most sprayed and the 12 least sprayed, if you google it there's even a wallet sized card you can print out. I have one in my wallet winking smiley

Hass is the variety that is the most available where I live but I have had reed in Cali and they are SPECTACULAR! Huge, light green, lusciously creamy, this is the variety that I think David W means when he refers to them as "emerald cream".
I have had another large, light green avo that resembled a reed but it was disapointingly bland, watery and too light for my tastes. Not sure the variety but there are more than 500 so who knows!

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: April 01, 2010 12:20PM

fuerte aren't very interesting - we only get those and hass, I always choose hass.

Posted by: buddhistforlife ()
Date: April 01, 2010 12:41PM

Haas avocados, sliced in half, sprinkled with fresh pepper, a bit of cayenne and a squirt of lemon juice, I scoop out the flesh and eat in tandem with some fresh, chewy dulse.

Creamy, spicy, tart, salty goodness!

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: April 01, 2010 02:32PM

I just mash mine in a cup and add some seasonings.
Use it for a celery dip.

Vinny

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: April 01, 2010 04:22PM

i usually mash them with a fork so that there of a filling type consistency add some different seasonings and stick on raw crackers.

or i make a raw desert with cacao with themsmiling smiley.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 01, 2010 07:43PM

I halve the avo, pit it, scoop out each half unbroken, invert the halves round side up onto a plate, gently dust with sea salt, and eat with a knife and fork. Simple and satisfying.

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: April 01, 2010 10:31PM

I halve it and then whack a knife on the pit and twist to remove the pit. Sometimes I use a fork to scrape through/mash the avocado and eat it in its shell - leaving only a fork to wash. I also add chunks to salads. If I have a lot, I make an avocado dressing.

My favorite raw vegan

Date: April 01, 2010 11:28PM

I shared some guac today with the baby. You should see her gobble that stuff up, garlic and all!

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: April 02, 2010 01:55AM

coco, ha! I think, generally speaking, all critters love avo. It seems even baby human critters!

Occasionally, I like to peel one end and hold the other end while I eat the avo like an icecream cone, peeling as I go. (Slurp!)

Usually I eat a half avocado chopped up with cucumber, and a bit of lemon juice. Avo is good with any fruit: avo and pineapple, avo and banana, avo and oranges, avo and papaya. I like it too in salad or a nori roll.

Transitioning to raw, I liked to cut an avocado in half, take out the seed, and fill with Picante Sauce, taking a bit of Picante with every bite of avo.

In Hawaii, we currently have avos coming out of our ears - mostly Sharwil, Linda, Yamagada, and Green Gold. Earlier this year, we had Murashige and Malama Ki.

Often it seems that the ungrafted, (unnamed) avos are the best, the creamiest, and sometimes the biggest. Since avocados don't grow true to seed, there's an unlimited number of unnamed varieties.

Of the grafted (named) avocados, I like the Murashige best and usually eat them alone to savor the taste. It's tough to try to eat just a half Murashige!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2010 02:08AM by suncloud.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 02, 2010 05:18AM

i take the avo in my hand an give it a little squeeze .. i ask it .. are you ready yet , yes or no .. if yes i take a paring knife and carve my way all around it , give er a twist and pop the two halves open , scoop out the insides as is smiling smiley

or i blend it with some nut milk (usually almond) and water to make a real fattening vegan type cold soup , carefull here this could clog arteries i think but its tasty smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: April 03, 2010 03:45AM

I almost always eat avocado cut up into a salad with tomato and whatever else is at hand. I love them, because when they're ripe, you can add a squirt of lemon or vinegar and you don't need any oil at all-- just squish the avocado pieces around until it's all mooshed together. :-)

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: April 17, 2010 01:58AM

I chop them up into veg salads or make guac. I've never had them with sweet fruit.

Posted by: CJJ ()
Date: April 17, 2010 02:47AM

My fav treat is chocolate pudding: avocado + dates + cacao + a touch of agave and a pinch of salt. I usually make a bug batch then freeze little servings that I can bring with me to work. I think it's from one of the Jennifer Cornbleeth books =)

Date: April 17, 2010 04:39PM

The only time I made avo chocolate pudding it ended up tasting like... well, like avo. Not very nice. I just prefer them with a little lemon myself. They are nice with apples too.

Posted by: The Fruit Faery ()
Date: April 20, 2010 12:30AM

I love to eat them with soaked almonds, sprouted seeds and pesto alongside a huge green salad. Yum.

When I first went raw and experimented with loads of uncooking, I made a pie filling out of avos by combining them with lime juice and coconut oil. I placed this in a 'nut pie crust' then froze it. I would remove it from the freezer about half an hour before eating.
We called it 'ice cream pie'. Everyone loved it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2010 12:31AM by The Fruit Faery.

Date: April 20, 2010 12:40AM

Enjoying all the feedback, thanks!

Right now I seem to be addicted to them, and I am eating about 3 or so a day. Slicing them open, removing the pit & eating with a spoon, nothing fancy.

Posted by: rawrnr ()
Date: April 20, 2010 06:40PM

dulse flakes

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables