Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
what do you do for work?
Posted by: jeni jolt ()
Date: April 07, 2010 04:13AM

I am a substitute teacher & yoga teacher & DJ..What do you do? I want to get a job that is related to nutrition/food justice. I have been thinking about going to school for nutrition/ayurveda/or raw vegan nutrition. Does anyone have any recommendations? How do you become a "raw food coach"?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what do you do for work?
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: April 07, 2010 10:42AM

I am a gardener and garden designer.

re : raw food coach - I don't think anyone should consider becoming a coach until they have been successfully 100% raw themselves for at least 10 years. The reason I say this, and this is not aimed at you at all as I have no idea of your story, is that I have seen many people setting themselves up as raw food coaches only to have a crisis themselves, a drastic change of thinking or some other health issue that has accured due to their own diet.

Date: April 07, 2010 02:19PM

yeah i was thinking that too--but i didnt think it would have to be ten years..its just that i see so many people around me that could use help and i feel that i have a lot of knowledge that could help them..but my health is not perfect..maybe a "health coach" would be better or a nuritionist..i am starting the 80-10-10 diet soon so hopefully that will help me with my digestive issues.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: April 07, 2010 11:07PM

Computer draftsman.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 07, 2010 11:27PM

bookkeeping, tax accounting, massage therapy, and looking after mommy tongue sticking out smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: buddhistforlife ()
Date: April 07, 2010 11:35PM

I am a sculptor, and sculptor instructor. My website (if I may indulge) is:

www.blackdogstudionyc.com.

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: April 07, 2010 11:57PM

buddhistforlife,

Gorgeous sculptures. Thanks for posting your site.

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: adrian ()
Date: April 08, 2010 12:18AM

dog walker.

Posted by: buddhistforlife ()
Date: April 08, 2010 02:09AM

Trive,

Many thanks!

Posted by: dvdai ()
Date: April 08, 2010 04:46AM

nursing student, musician, social worker, fruitslayer

david

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: April 08, 2010 10:29AM

i run a few businesses mainly onlinesmiling smiley.

Date: April 08, 2010 02:00PM

wow! we have a very diverse board in terms of jobs!

Posted by: desert_om ()
Date: April 08, 2010 07:20PM

Hi Jeni, I'm a special ed teacher. Like you, I'm now considering a job in the nutrition/holistic healing field since discovering raw foods. I'd also like to include physical activity in my job (yoga instructor would be great, although I"m not proficient enough at yoga yet to do the teacher training-- anyway, I give you props for your yoga instruction!)... I'd love to hear updates on your journey. Love, Amy

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: April 17, 2010 01:57AM

I have two jobs, I teach at a special needs school during the school year and I work in histology summers. Still dream about going back to grad school full time but haven't had the nerve to give up my benefits yet.

Posted by: CJJ ()
Date: April 17, 2010 02:51AM

40 hours a week: Operations manager. We analyze trends in the media.

Rest of the time: raging party-girl and all-around maniac who you'd never suspect worked a corporate job winking smiley

Posted by: Mean One ()
Date: April 17, 2010 02:57AM

I'm a lava lamp repairman!! What's that you say? You need to have your lava lamp repaired. Well, it will take six months and cost ya 2 weeks pay!!!

You too can become a lava lamp repairman!! Make big bucks and win community respect!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2010 02:59AM by Mean One.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: April 17, 2010 04:51AM

I'm a musician, visual artist and sound monitor.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: April 17, 2010 07:38AM

I Live.

also, the Living Light Institute can train you to be a raw coach, or raw chef!!! GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!
I am going to do the same. If you hold back for one second on raw info. Imagine how many people you can help just by talking!! and teaching!!

The Raw Lion 440 pounds to 225 pounds!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 17, 2010 12:03PM

Retired massage therapy and anatomy/physiology instructor and practitioner of massage, craniosacral, visceral mobilization, myofascial release, and lymphatic drainage therapies.

Up and coming organic vegetable farmer, presently in training.

Date: April 17, 2010 02:15PM

Mommy at the moment but I have worn so many hats. I'm considering taking a course in horticulture soon(ish), hands in the earth seems a position I would enjoy.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 17, 2010 09:26PM

Where do you train for the farming? I have thought of taking an internship at a farm in my state!

Date: April 18, 2010 12:09AM

Some universities offer degrees in organic agriculture.

For me, I am learning by doing, starting seeds, planting, managing, harvesting, seed saving, and putting food up. The books The Vegetable Gardeners Bible by Smith and Seed to Seed have been very helpful. This is 5 years now for me. Every year is better.

WOOFING is a great way to be able to learn. That is Willing Workers on Organic Farms. Also consult organic farms in your state. Many take on interns or helpers in exchange for food, especially CSA farms (community supported agriculture).

Date: April 18, 2010 02:43AM

if you search for woofing info make sure to spell it wwoof winking smiley. My littlest sis' did it, it was great for her.

Date: April 18, 2010 07:14PM

007: I didn't know that term, but that's what I am talking about. Thanks for the titles of those books--I am gonna check them out. Have you seen the documentary "The Real Dirt about Farmer John?" It came out a couple of years ago and it's about an IL man who grew up on a farm and went off to college but then took over his farm when his dad died. Now it's Angelics Organics. But what is really fascinating is that this was during the late '60s and he was a bit of an character and wears costumes sometimes. The people in that farming community began to talk about him and spread rumors. But it's really about the love of farming the land. And you have many of these small organic farms which seem run by well-educated people, some of whom just dropped out of a corporate or urban lifestyle to "get back to the land!"

Posted by: Helen ()
Date: April 19, 2010 12:57PM

I find this question very interesting. Maybe because I work with socio-economic data a lot. I am in economic research and do my PhD. I guess I kind of stick out of this group here.

Helen

Posted by: rab ()
Date: April 20, 2010 01:53AM

Computer consultant (now "analyst"winking smiley for 10+ years in a big company. Mostly working from home now (which is good, but not as good as it may seem, cause you will never convince your family to treat you differently because you are working. Never).

I will try to find a local "wwoof" option, thanks for the tip.

Date: April 20, 2010 11:13AM

coco, Yes, thanks for the correction, WWOOF. And you are welcome to all those who did not know about the possibilities of wwoofing.

Posted by: arilraw ()
Date: April 20, 2010 02:52PM

I am a PA (physician's assistant) student, dad of five, husband of one, son of one, master of two dogs, gardender, honey-doo-list-getter-doner, volunteer,Ving Tsun practioner, and financial supporter of LOCAL firms (in which I "work"winking smiley who benefit the homeless (who I treat).

A PA who believe in raw foods, exercise, yoga, meditation, chiropractics, some holistics (ie, the frequency of the rock will not cure your bladder cancer), and choice.

Thanks for the question.

Arilraw

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: April 20, 2010 09:52PM

I'm a former special ed teacher and retired certified organic farmer of tropical fruits - mostly apple bananas.

Went back to school (pushing age 60) for a degree in dietetics. Hope to be able to eventually help people improve on their diets - whatever diet choice they might have - plus possibly contribute something to mainstream dietary thought and learn a few things myself!

Vegan nutrition is now accepted by the American Dietetics Association. But raw food vegan nutrition has been considered a "Hot Topic"; the ADA considers it risky, with not much benefit, and no scientific basis. Hope to help change that.

I'm currently volunteering at the local hospital, doing simple (really simple) clerical chores for the dietitians.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2010 09:53PM by suncloud.

Date: April 21, 2010 12:47AM

I am working on a Master's. Not working at the moment.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2010 12:50AM by banana who.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables