Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Chia seeds
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: April 17, 2010 11:29PM

Mean One Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...Not sure what micro
> sliced means...

"Getting Chia's Best
“Opening and slicing the chia creates a powder, which exposes more surface area to stomach digestion,” Coates says. “This process makes it more bioavailable to the body, so a person gets more out of the seed.”

[www.retirewithlifemax.com]

Grains can be hammer-milled, essentially pulverized, or they can be sliced into a powder by very sharp blades as in a high power blender with very very sharp blades.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fruitylou ()
Date: April 27, 2010 10:50PM

If you grind chia seeds, will they still form a gel when water is added?

Posted by: stellium ()
Date: April 28, 2010 07:18PM

I just got some of these today! I was hoping to find a thread like this, but am now a little confused. I threw a tiny bit into my blender with greens as well as sprinkled some on a salad. No problem. I've been familiar with flax seeds for a long time but never bothered to use them regularly. But, I decided to bring them into my diet and got some as well. The store down the street sells cheap grinders, I was going to get one for sesame seeds. SO, which seeds should be ground?

ALSO - the gel thing sounds interesting. Curious to find the answer to:
If you grind chia seeds, will they still form a gel when water is added?

AND - what do you do with this gel? Please list your ideas/uses!

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: April 28, 2010 07:31PM

stellium Wrote:
> SO, which seeds should be
> ground?

Flax seeds need to be ground to absorb nutrients. Chia seeds may be ground but don't have to be.

> ALSO - the gel thing sounds interesting. Curious
> to find the answer to:
> If you grind chia seeds, will they still form a
> gel when water is added?

Dunno, never grind mine. Loeve?

> AND - what do you do with this gel? Please list
> your ideas/uses!

1 part seed to 9 parts water (weight), flavor as needed. Be sure to stirr frequently to mix the seed. I like coconut water and chia seed. Traditionally, it's been lemon freshly squeezed into water with a little sweetner and chia. Experiment.

Posted by: Krefcenz ()
Date: April 28, 2010 11:05PM

I'd just start with whole seeds and see where that takes you. Whole seeds are digestible and mix well with water or juice.

Krefcenz

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: April 29, 2010 11:38AM

Like Wayne Coates says, people's experiences will be different --

"Dr. Coates: We receive similar reports from customers. We've heard some truly amazing things, but generally we don't go into much detail telling people about what to expect from chia. Everyone has their own perception of what chia seeds can do. Call it mind over matter. If nothing else, you can believe what you want, and if you really believe it, then that's what it is. There's no arguing against or changing a belief.

"Let's assume that chia affects a certain person in a specific way, and honestly it does. That is only the experience of that particular person because different people have different experiences with chia. Or it can depend upon the conditions they may have because then there can be different effects. For example, one person's results using chia could depend upon how effectively their digestive system is working, but another person's results could be entirely different."

[www.naturalnews.com]

Date: April 29, 2010 02:17PM

My pudding didn't expand that much... I don't think I put in enough liquid. I just wanted to make one serving. Somehow online I got 2TBSP of seeds for 1/2c liquid but I will add more next time and use almond milk instead... still, weird consistency. I made mine to cacaoly to make up for the 'unknown' and put it on top of oats with bananas. Interesting. Better as a snack than a way to start off the day, I think anyway.

COOL SEEDS!

Date: April 29, 2010 02:47PM

Two tablespoons of chia weights about 20 grams. 1/2 cup is 4 ounces or about 114 grams. That's a ratio of about 1 part seed to 5 or 6 parts liquid. You need about 9 parts liquid. 3/4 cup (171 grams) to 2 tablespoons should do the trick.

Paul

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 29, 2010 03:15PM

Our ScoobyDoo chia pet says 2 teaspoons seeds to a 1/4 cup of water. That was pretty jellyish.

Did people say how much they are taking? I think it's just a TBSP/day that's recommended, is that right?

Date: April 29, 2010 04:21PM

For flax seed, it's usually 1-2 tablespoons. I put about 1-2 TBSP each morning in my smoothie. If I'm making a coconut water fresca, then I use 3.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: April 30, 2010 06:22AM

I do 1/4 cup chia seed and add maybe about a cup of water. I stopped eating it for a while (for no particular reason), but when I started again, I sure did notice that it seems to really help my running. And it makes my tummy feel just exactly right.

I think I like the white chia best. Does anyone else have a preference?

Date: April 30, 2010 07:48PM

OK...... round two soaking in the fridge according to pborst's measurements, roughly. I got some almond milk (not ready to make my own yet), and blended in the blender with two dates, some cinnamon, a few drops of agave nectar, a tiny bit of cacao powder. The plain fluid tasted alright.... assuming the seeds soak it up well, I should have a nice snack tomorrow!

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: April 30, 2010 08:30PM

I've been experiment with the chia fresca since I started reading this thread. Lemon is good. I have made a quart with orange juice now.

Any idea how long chia fresca will stay fresh in the refrigerator?

Would love to make some with coconut water, but we can't seem to get fresh coconuts here in PA, plus I am concerned about that formaldehyde dip they take to preserve them for the month long boat trip...

Date: April 30, 2010 10:37PM

stellium Wrote:
> OK...... round two soaking in the fridge according
> to pborst's measurements, roughly. I got some
> almond milk (not ready to make my own yet), and
> blended in the blender with two dates, some
> cinnamon, a few drops of agave nectar, a tiny bit
> of cacao powder. The plain fluid tasted
> alright.... assuming the seeds soak it up well, I
> should have a nice snack tomorrow!

snack tomorrow? Well your move. I wait 10 minutes no more as that's about how long it takes for those seeds to soak up what ever liquid they are going to take. Maybe 15. I wouldn't wait until overnight to judge. If does, great. If it doesn't, try 15 minute window and drink fresh. If it works out overnight, let us know. Never tried that.

Paul

Date: May 01, 2010 01:26AM

My goal was MANY pictures I've seen online from recipes where the seeds get HUGE!! I was going for that. Maybe it will never get to that point! I thought I was doing something wrong. Well... maybe I am getting hungry now...

Maybe I was mislead by the picture below. Mine are much mini-er seed blobs. I just took a sample bite... the liquid I made to soak it in tastes very dairy-like and creamy, it's disorienting. Anyhow, I read a bunch of recipes where you can leave it in overnight. However last time I did that, they stayed the same size. Still, fun and tasty.

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: May 01, 2010 01:39AM

My seed blobs are smaller too, whether I soak them 10 minutes or a few hours. Maybe it is just a different variety of seed?

Today I had soaked chia seeds with mashed date slurry and lime juice. YUM!

Stellium (or anyone else), I would love it if you would share your favorite chia seed recipes. Please, please?

My favorite raw vegan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2010 01:40AM by Trive.

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: May 01, 2010 08:09PM

I like to soak my chia seeds and then blend them with a bit more water which makes a delicious milk (without needing to strain).

Here's a chia cream I made:

3 tablespoons chia seeds soaked in 200ml water for 20 minutes or so

Then add the gel to a blender (I'm using a Vitamix) with

100ml water
5 fresh dates
5 tablespoons lucuma powder
1 tablespoon mesquite
1/4 tsp vanilla
dash reishi mushroom powder (optional)

Blend!

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables