Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Reward
Posted by: rab ()
Date: April 09, 2010 04:58AM

This is my little story about a rewarding experience with raw food.

I work for a big company, and we have a fitness center within our headquarter. It is free for all employees, but one has to pass a physical exam in order to have his pass enabled for the gym. If you are not a member, you cannot get in, obviously.
I have played sports all my life, and was looking forward to using the fitness center, especially to play soccer and basketball (there is a smaller but very good court within the fitness center). When I first tried to become a member, after I got a new position and moved to the building where the fitness center is, I was denied - short medical test showed that I had high blood pressure. I was disappointed and did not want to go on any medication. I was overweight, significantly (30-40 pounds), but still able to play - and I did. I used to sneak in, when some of the colleagues opens the gym door using his pass, I would get inside walking behind them, grabbing the door before it shuts and locks. This worked, as everyone could see my company pass, I was an employee obviously, so nobody suspected anything. Still, it was embarrassing, and some of the regulars at the gym noticed what I was doing and had a laugh or two at my expense. This could have also been a serious problem for the company, should I suffer any injury or worse. But, I thought if I just played for a while, lose weight, I will be able to pass the physical. Never happened. I played, I lost weight, but, as I drank a lot of coffee, and my diet was full of salt, bread and other harmful components, I failed the test two more times. I never lost as much weight as I wanted, no matter how hard I tried (played soccer several times a week, along with basketball, ran, etc.).

Finally, after I gradually changed my diet somewhat, I decided on January 31st 2010. to go raw 100%. I am doing smoothies every day, mixing greens and fruit, along with nuts and seeds.

Well, today, I took the test again, and my blood pressure was fine (I lost about 15 pounds) - they enabled my pass, and I first time entered the gym legally! That was my small victory after years of embarrassing moments, waiting in front of the door pretending I am talking on the phone and similar ridiculous acting performances. That is now over! I am legally a member of our fine fitness center!

smiling smiley))

I hope I made you laugh a little, but this is a very significant moment for me! smiling smiley))

p.s.
I intend to stay on this diet, but I am still learning - there is a whole science about it, a lot of interesting authors, but I like to keep it simple - I like to eat what I like, and try to make it as healthy as possible. Slowly I am moving to organic, but for now, I also use some of the non-organic greens and fruits.

I have yesterday made the first smoothie that makes me want to eat even when I am not hungry. It has organic carrots, avocado, asparagus, bananas, and different greens (I try to not put any with "strong" taste). I guess carrots, avocado and bananas are giving such a great taste that I cannot resist it smiling smiley) It is a simple smoothie, but, as I said, I like to keep it simple smiling smiley

(there is a lot to read on this forum, and I have only started my research).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reward
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 09, 2010 05:25AM

cute story, welcome to the site smiling smiley

i found it odd to read tho that one would be banned from getting healthy untill they are healthy enough to join in and get healthy tongue sticking out smiley seems very backwards smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: eecho ()
Date: April 09, 2010 12:50PM

cool

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 09, 2010 01:19PM

Hello, congratulations, and welcome! Also, I agree with Jodi that it is an odd and counterproductive policy to allow only fit people into the fitness facilities. The company is hoping to prevent a heart-attack related lawsuit, I suppose. [sigh]

Date: April 09, 2010 11:19PM

Thanks for the responses and for the welcoming. Yes, I agree - it would be nice to let me use the facility at my own risk or something - which is not an option. They wanted me to "see a doctor" and get his approval - and doctors would want me to be on some medication, which I simply do not want.
So, I chose this path, and it worked for me.

The biggest fun when I go to work now is to just swipe the card and open the door - finally! And I don't have a secret I never wanted any more. Maybe it is not important, but this is a great relief for me smiling smiley

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: April 10, 2010 05:11AM

Long before I went raw, and nearly 20 years ago, I had high blood pressure. Just removing salt out of my diet (and really not a true removal, but certainly I didn't add any explicit salt to my food) made my blood pressure go back to normal, and that still eating a SAD diet smiling smiley

Date: April 11, 2010 12:43AM

Prana, I can see how that could really work (removing salt from the diet) , but in my case, I drank a lot of coffee also, and ate a lot of bread (our traditional food), so, I was probably 50 pounds overweight at one moment. Also, due to hectic schedule, my sleeping schedule was bad, and I drove about 70 miles a day (to a from work). I am sure if I had a doctor check up, he would have asked me to take a few types o medications, those that you take as long as you live...

So, this is probably more than just access to the gym, this is a little victory for me and my world views. I just have to learn much more and make this really work for me in the long run.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 11, 2010 04:33AM

Hi rab

just wanted to say that i think it was cool that u sneaked into the gym irregardless

good going * ( two thumbs up! grinning smiley

hey.. that is a nice feeling that u can hit the gym now without having to put on any charades

wow..

superawific!!

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: April 11, 2010 04:40AM

That's great rab! Congratulations! smiling smiley

Makes me happy reading about it.

Date: April 14, 2010 10:04PM

I already replied here, but somehow my post did not make it, obviously.

Thanks la_veronique, suncloud. I have learned so much from other people, I am glad to share my little victory. Gens una sumus! (we are one kind).

Date: April 16, 2010 11:55AM

yeah hey rab]

gens una sumus to ya too smiling smiley

Date: April 26, 2010 12:05AM

So, here are some updates:

I still haven't had a chance to show those colleagues that I can now legally enter the fitness center...whenever I get in, nobody is watching sad smiley...but it is still a great feeling to swipe the card, see the light go green and walk in without frustration smiling smiley Remember, I have been sneaking in for at least 2-3 years! Many times I had to explain to others, and I had to invent some story sometimes, but over the time, I am sure some people figured out that something was not right.
That is now behind me.

I played basketball at the fitness center a few days ago (second time, after becoming a legal member), and, of course, noticed that I can move much easier, and, even though I got tired after 4 games, it was not the same kind of "tired" as before...I recovered quickly, and was ready for the rest of the day. According to all weight calculators, my ideal weight should not exceed 180 lb (81 kg). I am at 205 lb (92,5 kg) now, so I still need to lose significant amount of weight. This only tells me how fat I really was! After losing so much weight, and feeling so much better, I am still not close to my ideal weight (which could be even less then 180 lb as I am 6'/183 cm tall, my frame is probably large, but not huge). I still have a belly around my waist, not huge but very visible...the one that everyone says is so hard to get rid of - and they are right. It goes so slowly, but they say it is the best way to go, at a natural pace.
I understand very well that physical change is just one aspect of improving ones life, but I feel amazed at the level of neglect I had for my body (some lazy habits I still have to work on) and at the recovery our bodies can pull off, if we just give them a chance.
I am not in my thirties any more smiling smiley, I would like to share my age also (and post my picture), but I am trying to stay somewhat anonymous, due to some personal reasons.

p.s. I just read my first post, and I wanted to add that I was probably much more than 30-40lb overweight when I was fist time denied the membership. I always looked at the 200lb as my target, which was ambitious as I measured 235, 240 and once 250 lbs! But my ideal weight is really about 180 lb, which means that I was probably more like 50-60lbs overweight when denied membership (several times). My blood pressure was 150/100 and my resting heart rate was over 100, I remember.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2010 12:18AM by rab.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 26, 2010 03:15AM

Good for you! I too felt very happy when I read your post. You are a success story!
I believe the best way to rid oneself of a belly are crunches, burn that fat right into muscle! You seem a very determined sort, I won't be suprised to read about your further success down the road.

I agree that it is very strange to deny the people who need it most a chance to get healthy but in this age of litigation I understand the company policy, as ridiculous as it may be. We live in quite an age my friends.

Date: May 02, 2010 04:03AM

coco, thanks a lot!

I am very firm in my decision, and I agree with you that I need more exercise to add some muscle to my body.
As far as my company, like any other company, they just protect themselves. Business is business. I am grateful to have a fitness center which I can occasionally use (some people use it every day). The bureaucratic rules at the fitness club are far from perfect, but it is better to have that than no club at all, I think.

I am losing weight at a healthy rate, I think. No drama, no exhaustion, just steady improvement. I did notice that I feel much better when I exercise. I like playing sports, but have never been good with weights, treadmills etc. (just too boring for me). My other challenges are to have a solid sleeping schedule ("late bird"winking smiley, to not forget to drink enough water, to spend more time outdoors, to watch TV less etc.

Thanks again for your encouraging words!

Posted by: tdquigley ()
Date: May 02, 2010 04:24AM

We are all on a journey. Every day I think about the person I know I am; the person that does yoga every day, that writes and creates, the person that eats sustainable living foods. I, too, should watch less TV, maybe laugh more and eat before midnight. We all have challenges. What's important is that we support one another, raw, vegan, SAD, what have you.

Date: May 05, 2010 02:02AM

hi rab

i'm thinking that maybe you could put up a chart
that shows all the cool fun and wonderful sports you are doing
the time period in which you are doing them
and also a food log
and that in and of itself could be a reward
just looking at what you put down
and acknowledging (by writing down praise for yourself) how great you have done and how much you are improving
each and every day
this may create a fireball of momentum
visually
then absolutely nothing can stop you from gaining all your goals
nothing

you have been doing so terrifically
you have a lot to be proud of
focus on that
and hold in your mind
all your victories
continue happily in
doing all the sports you enjoy
and eating all the healthy nutritious foods
and your triumphs
like a snowball will
indubitably
expand and increase
ad infinitum

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: May 05, 2010 05:18PM

congrats great to hear you lowered your BP alsosmiling smiley.

Date: May 05, 2010 06:40PM

la_veronique, thanks for your kind words. I try to stay realistic, and to have small, achievable goals. I am by no means a model for anyone, as I have a long way to go, but I hope that this "instant reward" that I received from raw food could be a little bit inspirational to other people as well. The spiritual part of the raw foods journey is really unbelievable, and hard for me to describe.

I still do not eat completely organic (cannot afford some of the prices, also don't have the shopping options, or not aware of them), and I do not follow any plan, just improvise, trying to follow general advice (reading the 80/10/10 diet book, etc.).

powerlifer, thanks, that was a good moment in my life. I have been playing basketball at the gym several times since and I noticed that I had similar level of energy as younger players who play much more often than I do. Honestly, I would say that the difference is significant,compared to my old self. I still need to lose at least 20lb (10kg), so I am looking forward to that.

On the other hand, I think I could really write a manual on how to be careful when going back to sports after losing weight. Injuries and not balancing your activities can cause serious problems. I play cautiously, not trusting all my muscles and bones 100%, trying to avoid injury. Also, I try to manage my energy and don't let excitement carry me to far, I feel like I would like to loose the last part of my belly tomorrow, but it is going slowly, at a natural pace. And that is the best way. I have read somewhere that it takes 2 years to really cleanse your body, I try to keep that in mind.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: May 05, 2010 10:26PM

Good for you and I got a great mental picture of you sneaking in the gym.....smiling smiley Awesome!

Posted by: shazz150 ()
Date: May 06, 2010 01:26AM

Congratulations Rab, on finding your path to health!!

You made me smile thinking of you sneaking in....your determination will definitely help you succeed.

Best of luck with your journey
Shazz

Date: May 15, 2010 12:39AM

Before I forget (this happened a couple of weeks ago), let me just add this as and epilogue to my story. A very nice lady, retiring in a few months, had noticed the change on me, but was not sure exactly how I lost weight. When she had asked me about it before, I would just say something like: "Oh, I just replace meals with smoothies", and the reason for that is that I did not want to be considered a "freak" at work, corporate atmosphere can be so unforgiving sometimes. I told her the truth about the smoothies, but that was not the only change in my diet.
Well, this time, as we met again, I was going to our little coffee kitchen and service area to wash some grapes, and she said: "I don't know what's your secret, but you look great!" - and there I was, standing with 3 lb of red globe grapes in a clear bag, saying "thanks, you look great too" smiling smiley
The "secret" was in my hand: grapes. Too obvious, it appears.

Another colleague, a young guy somewhat overweight, also noticed that I lost weight and asked me about it - I said I was on a diet, and was ready to tell him more, if he asked me, as I thought he would understand me in a right way. Instead, he started telling me about Atkins diet that he was on, and he really looked stressed, but I would not make a comment on it. It is so hard sometimes - if you start giving some advice to people, they feel pushed and most of them don't like listening to anything. I am fine with that. Even a good advice, if it is unwanted, misses the point. Sometimes though, I feel that I could help somebody and even feel guilty for not telling them anything. It is somewhat of a dilemma for me sometimes. Mostly I learned to follow the golden rule: "don't ask don't tell", I only explain my views if asked about it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables