Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Are my deglet nour dates raw?
Date: April 18, 2010 03:22PM

I bought a box of these from the supermarket. They're organic, still on the branch and don't have that waxy covering the definitely non-raw deglet nour dates have. I heard it's really hard to find raw deglet nour dates, so I'm a little dubious.

Is it safe to assume these are raw, or are all deglet nour dates heated in some way?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Are my deglet nour dates raw?
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: April 18, 2010 06:43PM

Not all deglets noors are heat treated. That they are on a branch is a good sign that they might be truly raw. Why not ask for the vendor's name, call them and ask? If they still have their pits, that's another good sign.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 18, 2010 07:08PM

I buy mine from the bulk bin at Whole Paych...Foods. When you say waxy, I don't know what you mean. I always have a very hard time plucking them out of the bin with that scoop because they are so sticky. I have taken to turning the plastic produce bag inside out and scooping them by hand (it doesn't touch the product). Does that mean they are really raw? I never even thought it would be an issue! Also, they have dates that are refrigerated. I am assuming that they are fresh dates...I have never bought them because they are a bit more expensive. Do you know what's up with them?

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: April 18, 2010 08:28PM

Whole Foods rarely has truly raw dried fruit or nuts so it's always a good idea to contact the supplier which varies at each of their stores. Make sure to ask the right questions because all companies will say yes if you just ask if they're raw. I always ask how the products are grown, processed, what temperatures they're dried at or the heat is, etc. It becomes tricky sometimes because some dried fruit will be sun dried, but then it goes through processing or has additives, which makes it not pure/raw. Sun Maid raisins is an example of this, as is most cold pressed olive oil. It ends up being easier to stick with specific suppliers you know for a fact are reliable. Usually this means purchasing online to get the best products and prices. Unless you're lucky to have places near you.

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Date: April 18, 2010 09:20PM

Hi Brian- they still have their pits- good idea about asking the distrib.- I'll see if I can find their details from the supermarket as they are badged as the supermarket's 'own'. Thanks!

bananawho- if you buy deglet nour dates in those cute little plastic boxes, they're often coated with a few things to make them shinier and sweetener (I've seen sucrose used quite a lot). The dates I have look dull. That said, if you get them from the bin, they might get all sticky where they've been squashed together so looks may be deceiving smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables