Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Are all cooking method harmful?
Posted by: greenman ()
Date: August 21, 2006 09:22PM

For example is steaming harmful?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Are all cooking method harmful?
Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: August 21, 2006 09:43PM

I burnt my hand on some steam once, judging from the pain, redness and blistering, I think that steaming is pretty harmful (even if it's just your food you're steaming).

I think "cooking" your food in acid (i.e., soaking grains or whatever in lemon juice over night) isn't really harmful.

Ian.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: August 21, 2006 09:44PM

-I'll flip the question around. Can you tell me one thing that cooking does to improve the nutrient / protien / vitamin content of food?

-Of course, there is a spectrum there too....with deep fried fats on one end....and lightly heated or steamed fruits / veggies on the other! Ha! ha! Eat whatever YOU have determined to put you on an upward trend forever my friend.

-You are asking the right questions!

-David Mason

Posted by: innervegetable ()
Date: August 21, 2006 11:26PM

thank David Mason as always.

I would suggest that heating homemade soups up at low temps is perfectly ok, especially until your digestive system is ready/recovered enough to digest all raw plants, and real fiber.

Also, dehydrated breads, there are many recipe's out there for raw bread, TASTES ALOT LIKE COOKED BREAD AND BETTER if you feel an unstopable addiction to cooked carbs (becomes essentially pure sugar) reach for the dehydrated bread instead ha

Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: August 22, 2006 02:29AM

I steam potatoes in a little water. I heard you are suppose to avoid raw potatoes.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: August 22, 2006 04:10AM

Streaming foods, or better yet, cooking them in a low temperature water, is the healthiest way to cook foods. Using dry heat, will be worse, and the worst is frying foods in oil.

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: August 23, 2006 05:48AM

A naturopath advised to just put your beans in a thermos jar, pour v. hot or just-boiled water in, and seal it up for several hours. He said this improves the digestibility greatly, yet the beans would still be able to sprout in some cases. I do like this method of sort-of-cooking. It is easier than sprouting, and the beans taste mighy good. Better than raw sprouts, which don't do anything for me.

Posted by: chilove ()
Date: August 23, 2006 04:26PM

Raw is always better of course, but light steaming is the least "harmful" method of cooking.

All the best,

Audrey
www.rawhealing.com

Posted by: mallow ()
Date: August 23, 2006 04:38PM

I miss steamed vegetables more than anything else.
Steamed broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, oh my.

I remember reading in one raw food book (I think that it was the Raw Detox one by Natalie something, but I'm not sure) that lightly steaming (5 minutes max) foods like corn, broccoli, etc. really didn't destroy much at all, that almost all of them enzymes were still alive, and that the light steaming was beneficial because it broke down some of the cellulose.

When I read that, I was so hopeful, but I decided not to steam anything until I received some more wisdom on the subject.

In your opinion, would adding some lightly steamed veggies in anyway harm the health of one of a primarily fruit-based diet, who eats seaweeds, greens and other veggies, with occational ferments, n. yeast, and sea salt?

Posted by: juve ()
Date: August 23, 2006 08:15PM

steamed broccoli turns all sulfury and nasty in my opinion.

as discussed steaming is LESS harmful then other forms of cooking.

steaming is perfectly OK (especially if you digestive system is compromised and cant handle all the plant fiber yet), great transition food, not my "cup of tea" but certainly better than alot of things...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables