Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

veggie hating boyfriend
Posted by: violetrevo ()
Date: May 16, 2010 08:17AM

My bf hates veggies except for corn and taters. blech! His diet is atrocious and despite my hopes and prayers and sometimes nagging, he refuses to eat better. He has been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and g.i. problems. Do any of you have someone like this in your life? Have you any tips on coaxing them into eating better?? Sometimes I can't believe I'm in love with someone who hates veggies!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: veggie hating boyfriend
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 16, 2010 08:20AM

heh tongue sticking out smiley lead by example, maybe try to find or make substittues for the things he really loves with veggie substitutions .. often its not the item tthat one craves but all the flavoring attatched to it smiling smiley

good luck an know you cant change anyone that doesnt want to change smiling smiley

im married to a corn farmer and he eats just as much fruit now as i do .. he hated fruit before but never had really good room temperature perfectly ripened sweet fruit .. now he loves it ..it appeals to his sweet tooth smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: May 16, 2010 12:12PM

try a subtle transition such as vegan or veggie meals which cater to the SAD style recipes but have alot of hidden veggies in them, eventually his pallet should changesmiling smiley.

out of interest whats he doing for his fibro, magnesium malate is a good choice.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: May 16, 2010 01:02PM

violetrevo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My bf hates veggies except for corn and taters.
> blech! His diet is atrocious and despite my hopes
> and prayers and sometimes nagging, he refuses to
> eat better. He has been diagnosed with
> fibromyalgia and g.i. problems. Do any of you have
> someone like this in your life? Have you any tips
> on coaxing them into eating better?? Sometimes I
> can't believe I'm in love with someone who hates
> veggies!!

Yes, I have two people in my life that aren't into the raw food thing very deep - I lament about it in a few of my threads...

In my situation, I find it helpful to be creative when preparing foods & disguising raw foods as tasty ones that they may enjoy. For example, adding increasing amounts of fruits/veggies in a dish they may eat often.

In my Thai coconut thread, I mentioned adding fruits to coconut smoothies as a sneaky way to get them to eat better, and they enjoy it as a "snack".

I have left a couple of Victoria Boutenko's books lying around, & what do you know, my lovely wife actually has picked up "Raw Family" & is just about all the way through it!

It is difficult not to nag, believe me I know. Rather than that, maybe you can take the tact that I have gotten into; I will be reading a raw food/juicing/other book & I will say -

"Wow hon, listen to this; did you know that coconut water closely resembles blood plasma & is used as an intravenous hydration fluid ..."

I know, I really "geek" out on this raw food thing, it has totally consumed my life! grinning smiley

But, I think you get the picture. Little comments like that are viewed as non confrontational conversation instead of nagging, in the hopes that the other party will come to their senses when hearing all the wonderful benefits of raw food.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: May 16, 2010 03:09PM

Its sad because some people are only concerned about ONE thing when it comes to food.....how it TASTES,and have no further concerns other than that,on how it affects the body or mind.
I think leading by example is your best bet.

Vinny

Posted by: rab ()
Date: May 16, 2010 03:24PM

I find it very, very hard to convince someone if they are not interested. Pushing or not, nothing works. Also, they have a resistance towards my diet, and they think that what I am doing is crazy and that I should eat "real food", "snap out of it" etc. If this is the case with someone you live with it can be a very serious problem. This can only be resolved if there is a mutual wish to compromise.

Posted by: Nubster ()
Date: May 16, 2010 04:40PM

My fiance is anti-veggie as I call her. She eats very limited vegetables and I often try to get her to include more but it just doesn't work. I am not a vegetarian yet nor a raw foodie but I am working on it slowly but I do eat quite a bit of vegetables. I prefer the taste of them over meat in most cases. She is good at trying stuff though but I think she is kinda like a little kid in the way that once they have their mind made up something won't taste good, even if it does, they still say it doesn't and they won't consume it regardless.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: May 16, 2010 08:54PM

What about feeding your veggie hating friends some delicious fruit?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 16, 2010 09:22PM

What about focusing on yourself and letting the people around you be responsible for themselves? If you are over there living their lives for them, what they should do, how they should be, then who exactly is over here living Your life for you? Just a thought. I know it's out of love but really loving someone means loving them the way they are, not trying to change them to suit your ideals, no matter how "good for them" it may be.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables