Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Do you openly share with people your diet/lifestyle?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: June 04, 2010 04:09AM

I have always mentioned my vegetarianism to others but now I feel like I would think twice. Some people seem threatened by those who are different, or maybe it's because it triggers guilt in them, that they should be eating better or something. Raw foods is like a whole other universe so I was curious how all of you cope with what you will share with others...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do you openly share with people your diet/lifestyle?
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: June 04, 2010 05:12AM

If people ask, I share. But I don't volunteer information if not asked.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 04, 2010 05:37AM

im the same , my friends good friends know what im all about and respect me and my boundaries

otherwise if people ask i will share , not in a pushy way smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: June 04, 2010 11:52AM

if asked.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: June 04, 2010 04:43PM

Prana Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If people ask, I share. But I don't volunteer
> information if not asked.

Same - I used to be more enthusiastic about sharing, but that has worn off, since I always ended up in a defensive position...

Date: June 04, 2010 05:39PM

I was working in this school and since I brought my lunch every day, I disclosed that I was a vegetarian. I gave a recipe to a co-worker and she told me that she liked it. I really didn't run into that deal where the person asks you questions about your eating habits to challenge you, rather than due to genuine curiosity, although it really wouldn't faze me if someone wanted to debate the merits of a vegetarian diet. I have done this for a quarter of a century. Case closed. I would just tell people that I am not interested in changing them and that I'm just putting it out in the Universe. Oh, and at that same school I had another co-worker who talked to me about my food choices and mentioned that her husband would never go for it because he's a "meat and potatoes man." Later I found out that he had been treated for colon cancer...

Date: June 04, 2010 06:00PM

banana -

In response to your post - I believe it is easier for a female to share info., of any kind. I was told a long time ago by a wise man - "A woman's voice opens doors..."

As a male, I seemed to always find myself having to defend my thoughts about diet when asked why I was eating that "wacky food". It seems that it can be as charged a subject as politics or religion...

Date: June 04, 2010 06:14PM

JK: Interesting...I never thought of it in terms of gender. Perhaps eating meat is considered macho? So "manly men" would never be vegan or vedges? Ha ha...Also, I think your location in the country (I assume you are American?) makes a difference. I live in a liberal area but the school I worked at was in a workingclass neighborhood where people tend to be more conservative; traditional.

Posted by: Born2BeRaw ()
Date: June 04, 2010 06:16PM

Being somewhat of a naturally fit guy, others are quick to question my physique. Of course in doing so my answer usually centers around diet and eating habits. Although not 100% raw vegan on a daily basis, I do have it in myself to restrict meat, dairy, and processed foods at will. But when introducing my dietary choices to others, I usually get all kinds of strange faces and am met with the infamous "Why?" in response. It's rather depressing not knowing anyone who chooses this narrow path as I have and sometimes I give in to the temptation of my surroundings just because others are doing it--my way of fitting in. Deep down inside I know I'm doing a huge dis-service to my body. Guess that's why I joined this site today to get some kind of support system in my life.

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: June 04, 2010 07:42PM

Although I like talking about raw food, I do most of my "talking" about it here on this site. smiling smiley It's safe here. I really like the information exchange and discussion about raw food without anyone thinking I'm a wacko.

In face-to-face conversations, I REALLY a steer clear of talking about raw food. How many times have I said, "No thanks, I've just eaten." Ha! When I say that I eat raw food, I never know what reaction I'll get. People have such passion about the food they eat! Who would guess that eating fresh food would be such a radical topic! Some people get defensive, viewing MY dietary choices as a personal criticism of THEIR lifestyle. Some people just like to argue (mostly because it's their personality, I think). My mother becomes "concerned for my health" and tries to get me to eat something she cooked. Whatever! So, I avoid the topic unless I'm sure the person is sincerely interested in a positive way.

My favorite raw vegan

Date: June 04, 2010 08:38PM

Trive - you hit it exactly...

"Some people get defensive, viewing MY dietary choices as a personal criticism of THEIR lifestyle."

I used to get that a lot, & at first, it seemed out of left field, like "what the heck did I do to deserve this onslaught?" But I now see it as you said; they view it as an attack on their lifestyle.

A lot of folks are VERY self-centered...it gets annoying...

I would really like to talk about raw food with friends, so that is why I come here as well.

I mean, they have no problem discussing stuffed shells, bar-b-ques, cook-outs & the like, but if I show up its' like - Oh great, here comes the pine-cone, acorn & weed eater!

Actually, they are not too far off the mark, lol grinning smiley

Wow...what if man had never discovered fire? Guess we'd all be crazy plant eaters!

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 04, 2010 10:27PM

people just assume i'm vegan or "different"

if they ask if i'm vegan or raw

i just say

yes

they just say

oh

simple

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 04, 2010 11:11PM

If asked

but it comes out. People are always trying to feed my kids crap, they notice when nothing they offer gets an ok. Have you ever seen a "kids" menu at a restaurant? It's amazing that any of us reach our teens let along adulthood without cripling illness considering what is generally thought of as appropriate nourishment for children. I'm not 100% vegan or raw but still people say of me that I'm "very strict" when it comes to my kid's diet and I supposed compaired to them I am. I think they are "insane" when it comes to their and their kid's diets though so I suppose we're even.

ETA oh wait, a high number of people now don't actually reach their teens or adulthood without cripling disease/illness. Right.

Date: June 04, 2010 11:48PM

Coco: Regarding kids, many people seem to think you're abusive if you don't allow your child to eat any and everything. I don't have kids, but I would be fit to be tied if someone gave my child junk food when I specifically said not to! It breaks my heart when I see a parent give Flamin' Hots (hot cheeze puff thingies that are full of chemicals) to their 1 year-old!

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 05, 2010 02:23AM

yeah i know they should just give them flamin hot raw nacho jalapeno kale chips

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 05, 2010 02:41AM

Yup, baby is a stroller with a bag of cheetos and a can of coke. I've seen that so many times. Or McDeath burger phood. For the baby. In the stroller. Gack!

You know the biggest culprit? It's the FREAKING SCHOOL! They had a track and field day a couple weeks ago and you know what was on the menu?

Hamburgers
Hotdogs
Chips
Pop
Licorice
Chocolate
Freezies.

Seriously. During a fitness event this is what they offered the kids to eat. Needless to say I kept my little darling home, not that he'd eat that garbage anyhow, even at 9 he knows better.
I ask you, what exactly is wrong with a BANANA? Some juice or, better yet, water. Even a sandwich would have been more acceptable than that junk. Abysmal.

Oh, the school is one entity that I have NO problem expressing my dietary views to. The rest of the world, they don't deserve my knowledge unless they are open to it so why bother?

Posted by: gz ()
Date: June 05, 2010 04:07AM

I love to share my thoughts on diet, and I've made the mistake of thinking it would be a good conversation starter. But as most people have found out, talking about how you're different is a good way to alienate yourself from a group. However, when I've made friends with a person first, and waited for them to take notice of my obvious habits, they seem more likely to find it admirable or at least interesting.

Now instead of telling people how bad their food is for them, when they bring up how much they like some food item, i just say something like "Oh yeah, that does taste good, have you ever had..." and I just go on from my memory of the days when I ate only for flavor. If I just act accepting of their lifestyle, they seem to be more accepting of mine.

However, eating together is a major bonding experience for people, its very hard for me to have a normal social life when I don't eat at restaurants, I'm still looking for a way around this. If only there were more of us.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: June 05, 2010 10:06AM

same as prana, if people ask i will share as there most likely interested but i dont really start the talk as most arent really interested in healthy eating sadly.

but if someone wants to know ill try share my knowledge best i can.

Posted by: Nubster ()
Date: June 05, 2010 04:28PM

It has not come up yet in any of my conversations. Since I just started my healthier eating lifestyle most people I know don't even know and like most I don't plan to volunteer the info unless I really need to though I will talk about it if asked.

Date: June 05, 2010 07:51PM

la_veronique Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> yeah i know they should just give them flamin hot
> raw nacho jalapeno kale chips

That is hilarious! You should think about marketing that concept with that exact name...

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: June 05, 2010 08:45PM

I always tell people I'm raw and I've never had an issue with anyone. If you come across as enthusiastic and confident about your choices, people tend to be fine. Usually it sparks curiosity and conversation. It's never scared anyone away or made them upset.

Raw is too much a part of my life to keep it a secret. Food is too much apart of society for people to not find out without going to extreme measures or compromising my food choices, neither do I want to waste time, energy or health on.

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Posted by: RaysofLight ()
Date: June 07, 2010 07:08PM

Yes, when asked or noticed, I do, If it comes up, it comes up...
If someone has an issue and is looking for other ways, I try to shine the light. I always ask first too or let them know, I'd share what I do, if they were interested.

If you're interested, I'll share with you-just click below for "A Day in the Life" smiling smiley And yes, there is a reason to eat 5 properly combined and compatible fruits for dinner with greens! You cannot clean a house while building a house...in other words I build my body (house) all day with my Salad for LIFE and other living and raw foods. Before I go to bed I know that will be my "fast". Fruits are mostly water and very cleansing, cleaning my house which is actually more like a temple. smiling smileyIf they go in last, they clean while I sleep...enough said.
Wishing you all health and happiness through living and raw foods. smiling smiley

[www.livingfoodvillage.com]

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: June 09, 2010 02:27PM

I usually dont share,and the most common question when asked is "where do you get your protein".

Vinny

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: June 10, 2010 12:30AM

I usually start such conversations as more of a culinary technique conversation, we get into the subject of food, and I ask them their favorite recipes, then they ask mine, and mine usually tend to impress them and they ask more about them, and it usually ends with an invite to make them dinner,lol...its the only way I get dates:/... as an incredibly shy guy, Ive mastered the art of getting them to ask ME out...lol...plus I always have fun sharing awesome recipes with people, and even though 9 times out of 10 I only end up liking the person as a friend, its still super fun hanging out with them and making yummy stuffgrinning smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables