Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

100-0-0 The Fruitarian Diet
Posted by: brome ()
Date: June 07, 2010 07:52PM

Here's an inspirational blog by a 100% fruitarian:

[www.myfruitarianlife.blogspot.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 100-0-0 The Fruitarian Diet
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 07, 2010 08:38PM

lovely i bookmarked it to check it out later smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 07, 2010 09:41PM

What a lovely, pleasant looking website. The writing style is nice. However, I don't think three years on just fruit is long enough to state with such certainty that, if you are eating anything besides fruit, you are "harming yourself . . . you are poisoning yourself." I didn't like reading that!

Thanks for posting, brome : )

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: June 08, 2010 01:21AM

A fruitarian diet would not be 100% calories from carbs, 0 from protein, and o from fat, just so anyone seeing this would know. You would get some fat and protein, though I think including greens would be optimal.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: June 08, 2010 03:25AM

Nice blog. Fruity Jules used to post on this forum.

Posted by: Ariel55 ()
Date: June 08, 2010 09:55AM

I found that blog a nice read too. She mentions Theresa Wright whose fruitarian story inspired her to be fruitarian and can be found in Arnold Ehret book and here

[www.librarising.com]

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: June 08, 2010 10:35AM

"100-0-0" does seem to be a play on words of "80/10/10". I guess sugar cane would not be included in this diet.

"And, lucky for us, fruit is the most beautiful, ethical, loving, delicious, soothing, comforting, healing, blissful and magical food on the planet, freely given by Mother Nature." - from blog

Nope, sugar cane/juice wouldn't qualify.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 08, 2010 06:39PM

drink yer greens
eat your fruit smiling smiley

Date: June 09, 2010 03:32PM

I agree that greens are needed until balance is achieved. The use of highly nutritious grass juice eliminates the need for nuts and seeds, tho.

My error on 100-0-0. I've always translated it as %fruit %greens %nuts but know its %carbs %protein %fat. Impossible to edit now.

Much of librarising.com (above) reads like science fiction. From the site:

The Grand Conspiracy

These Illuminati families completely know the agenda of these friendly Galactic Federation aliens who have come to our shores to support this planet into a better future. But these Illuminati families worked for evil and bad aliens called Zeta Grey aliens, these aliens have been eradicated by the Galactic Federation in the past few years. These little Grey Aliens did genetic manipulations on Earth humans and worked closely with the American Government through the auspices of the Illuminati. The Zeta Grey aliens in turn worked for the Reptoid aliens who had a base on the moon which used psychotronic weaponry on this planet.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: June 09, 2010 04:14PM

Well then maybe sugarcane does have a place in the diet, as a species of grass, though not one of the more nutrient dense species unless looking for its energy value, and though the nutrients have to be wrangled from the fibrous stalk.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: June 10, 2010 12:23AM

fun to gnaw on though!lol

Posted by: Ariel55 ()
Date: June 10, 2010 04:42PM

brome Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >
> Much of librarising.com (above) reads like science
> fiction. From the site:
>
> The Grand Conspiracy
>
> These Illuminati families completely know the
> agenda of these friendly Galactic Federation
> aliens who have come to our shores to support this
> planet into a better future. But these Illuminati
> families worked for evil and bad aliens called
> Zeta Grey aliens, these aliens have been
> eradicated by the Galactic Federation in the past
> few years. These little Grey Aliens did genetic
> manipulations on Earth humans and worked closely
> with the American Government through the auspices
> of the Illuminati. The Zeta Grey aliens in turn
> worked for the Reptoid aliens who had a base on
> the moon which used psychotronic weaponry on this
> planet.

The link I posted was too an article from Arnold Ehret book on Theresa Wright a fruitarian. I don't know anything about the articles sourced for the rest of the site and is not particularly relevant to Theresa Wright or Arnold Ehret.

I posted it for information purposes. Did you read it?

[www.librarising.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2010 04:46PM by Ariel55.

Date: June 10, 2010 07:20PM

I did read Theresa Wright's account of her road to health by way of Ehret's teachings. Excellent. Thanks for the link.

The above quote (from the same site) was just so wild I thought it worthy of note.

Posted by: rab ()
Date: June 10, 2010 08:30PM

Thanks for the link, I love stories like this.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: June 11, 2010 12:35AM

Cool, but I have many questions:

Why is it that there are so few people who have consistently followed a 100% fruitarian diet, long-term? Arnold Ehret's writings have been around now for many decades.

Is it because this elusive diet is obtainable for only the most spiritually/emotionally/nutritionally advanced among us? If so, then what real benefit does it hold for the rest of us?

Is 100% fruitarianism the ideal that we should aim our raw food diet toward, with the idea in mind that the closer we are to the ideal, the more healthy - and possibly the more spiritually/emotionally advanced - we will become? How would we know, when so little evidence of long-term (a decade or more) benefit exists?

In contrast, there are many of us who have consistently been raw food vegans for decades.

For about 13 years beginning in my early twenties, I thought that if only I could stick to a 100% fruitarian diet, I could become a living demonstration that fruitarianism is the ideal diet. Other humans would of course benefit enormously from this realization.

Then I'd kick myself in the butt for not being able to live up to the great knowledge I'd been gifted with.

Isn't it possible that 100% fruitarianism is not physically sustainable for human beings over the long-term, even though the diet may be dramatically beneficial for many of us in the short-term?

Nowadays, I'm grateful to have followed a 100% raw vegan diet for many years. The raw vegan diet that can be followed with consistency and satisfaction may prove to have more value than the diet that is temporarily superhuman.

Please don't misunderstand. I love everyone here, and that's why I'm speaking out. And I love fruit, having devoted a substantial portion of my lifespan to planting and caring for the trees.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2010 12:41AM by suncloud.

Date: June 11, 2010 05:08PM

Good questions Suncloud. Several factors could explain the difficulties:

I believe, after many fruit fests (fruit and grass juice), that the transition to a 100% fruitarian diet would be a diet of fruit with grass juice (wheat or other grain or wild) and maybe some other sprout and vegetable juices to provide balance and healing. No nuts, no seeds, just fruit and juices. Wheatgrass is the best but most people avoid it like the plague and hence the problem.

Getting high vitality fruits is difficult. Even organic and ripened on the plant, may not be enough. Plants that are over watered and fertilized will not have the vitality needed. I came across this Concord grape vineyard that was bought for development and hadn't been tended for several years, no irrigation or fertilizer, in California's central valley with dry summers. The grapes had an incredible vitality with concentrated flavor and sweetness, a far cry from their well tended cousins. Stressed plants are known to produce high levels of antioxidants and other chemicals, again nutritionally important. A fig tree I ran across growing wild on the Stanislaus River had rich green fruit high in chlorophyll, with sweet yellow flesh, and a huge dose of pollen. Very unusual nutrition and vitality for a fruit.

The proper balance of beneficial micro-organisms in one's digestive system is vital. With the right balance, nutrients like amino acids and vitamin B12 will be created in the digestive tract just as they are in every other vegetarian animal. This can be very difficult to achieve. Everything needs to be just right. Yerkes, in The Great Apes (1929) wrote how a need for protein developed after the apes were fed a human diet and the internal microflora was destroyed.

Here's a post I made some time ago:

When I took animal nutrition at Humboldt State University it was emphasized how critically important the balance of the internal microflora was in digestion for the grazing animal. These beneficial bacteria and a few other organisms help not only in the breakdown of the food but can create needed nutrients like amino acids. When they are not in the right balance the vegetarian animal can starve, or in our case the would be live food vegetarian. As one is working to establish proper health and balance to one's digestion a supplement is needed to prevent starvation, and wheat grass juice is it.

One example: A herd of deer were starving late in the winter (in northern New Mexico I believe). They air lifted alfalfa hay in to save them. They all none the less died. Autopsy revealed they were stuffed full of the alfalfa but that their beneficail microflora in the digestive system was keyed to the twigs and buds of the high winter range and could not aid in the digestion of alfalfa, the most nutritious of all forages. If deer, live food vegetarians their whole lives, with perfectly healthy and clean digestive systems, could starve on the most nutritious forage known; a human struggling to restore health and cleanliness to their digestive system and to become a live foodist certainly can expect gigantic problems with starvation as they also need the proper intestinal microflora to succeed. Studies with sheep showed that just switching from one type of brush to another took weeks for the internal microflora to readjust for successful digestion.

Wild grasses sprouting in the spring are also very good and much better tasting than wheat grass. Dried wheat grass juice is more palatable and is still a good supplement. Wheatgrass can be taken as an implant and much of the nutrition will be absorbed.

On the skin of unwashed fruit there are colonies of many, beneficial I think, micro-organisms. This could be the needed source for proper internal balance. And even vitamin B12. Unfortunately in this polluted world the skin of fruit also harbors many unwanted chemicals.

I think rejuvelac needs to be revisited. Why even make it from grain? Use some unwashed grapes from as clean an environment possible. Crush them and ferment them for a day or two, just for the micro-organisms. Many other fruits would surely work well too. The other cultured foods may be good too: sauerkraut and that cultured sunflower seed blend. Even a shot of kefir, clabbered milk (like buttermilk), or yogurt may help to establish the microflora.

The whole diet needs to be rethought in terms of keeping the internal microflora properly established.

The most successful long term fruitarians are our close cousins, the Great Apes, esp. the Bonobo. Close study of them would lead to many new insights, I think.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: June 11, 2010 07:20PM

Brome, thanks for your very kind and thoughtful reply. It is so appreciated!

I'm just starting to learn for myself about the value of cultured foods. In my opinion, you are so right! I started fermenting greens and veggies just recently, and the results are noticeably very good.

My diet has consisted of more fruit than anything else for over 30 years (including several years before I gave up cooked food). Since greens have been difficult for me (and still are in some ways), I rely more on seeds to fill some of my mineral requirements. The seeds too are easier to digest when cultured, as you say. For me, they're fine uncultured in moderate amounts, especially sprouted overnight and blended.

It's interesting that many of the more active centenarians include cultured foods regularly in their diets.

Some definitions of "fruitarian" would include the Bonobo chimp, whose natural diet is mostly fruit. In my opinion, a mostly-fruit diet is fine. I don't think there's a wild primate species whose diet is exclusively fruit though.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: June 11, 2010 07:24PM

I think the fruitarian diet doesn't work for most people because of the nature of modern society, and it takes quite a mature and free individual who can break past the self limiting aspects of how people are socialized into being self destructive.

Given the violent nature of our post industrial society, eating a diet of fruits only leaves the individual to feel the pain of our society in full force. So you don't see many successful fruitarians living in the big cities.

However, if a person were to get in touch with the pain in society, and move to a gentler environment, one could live on fruits without the usual degradation we sometimes see in people who try to live a fruitarian life in a modern society.

But removing oneself from the industrial environment is still not enough, as there is social programming to overcome that can be self limiting.

It takes quite a bit of consciousness to see these self limiting behaviors and beliefs in oneself. But once seen, they can be let go.

Posted by: rab ()
Date: June 11, 2010 09:20PM

Prana, well said, I agree with every word of your post.

I just want to add, that, maybe, there is something either biologically or psychologically different in those people who manage to change their diet and switch to natural food. I was able to stop smoking when I was 23, and very few of my friends succeeded in doing that. That is just one example. I just feel that due to some hardships in my old country and some wasted years, my decision to change the diet (and not only the diet, it is a way of life) came later that it should have. I simply did not have the knowledge that internet gave me. Now, a lot of people also read the same information I found and they never do the switch. There are some individual differences that may be subtle, but could be a deciding factor. I am very, very grateful for having this opportunity.

Posted by: omega-3 ()
Date: July 19, 2010 08:12PM

This is very interesting, so I hope people keep checking this thread. Prana, do you include fatty fruits such as avacadoes and olives in your view of fruitarianism? Or do you think the ultimate ideal is only eating sweet fruits?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 19, 2010 09:01PM

There are too many other foods that I love to eat and make me feel good. I wouldn't want to give them up for a healthy "ideal", they are not harmful foods, they have lovely health benefits along with being tasty. Perhaps if I naturally gravitated in that direction that would be something else. I'm open to the possibility though it hasn't happened so far...

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: July 19, 2010 09:50PM

Prana Wrote:
> ......So you don't see many successful
> fruitarians living in the big cities.
That's where you find the best Fruit (unless you grow
your own.....and how many can do that?). I live in a small
town, and couldn't be a Fruitarian if I wanted to, the quality of
Fruit is so poor here.....especially the Organic. It's usually old
whereas the conventional Fruit is fresh.....WY

Date: July 20, 2010 02:52AM

same here yogi, even if I could afford organic most organic fruit here is really bad, got some organic fuji apples awhile ago, they tasted horrible...Luckily I just found a great source of local organic kale, im getting 7 bunches a week for only $10grinning smiley

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: July 20, 2010 03:19AM

Curator Wrote:
> ........Luckily I just found a great source of
> local organic kale, im getting 7 bunches a week
> for only $10grinning smiley
That's great, but how long can it continue?
I'm looking for my local Publix to improve its Organic
Department. I've quit buying organic Celery, it is so
small, and limp, these days. I've had good luck with
their organic Mixed Greens, and juice anywhere from 5 to
10 ounces a day. It's good in Smoothies too. I can't get Kale.....WY

Date: July 20, 2010 03:22AM

I dunno how long it will continuesad smiley im hoping forever...LOL... we dont get to cold during the winter or two hot during the summer here...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: July 21, 2010 10:43AM

You could get 80% of your calories from fat and be a 100% fruitarian living on avocado's..or you could be living on guava's and be getting 14% of your calories from protein..

How come fruit Jules only ever has one photo up on the net? I want to see more of fruity Jules eating fruit! smiling smiley

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: July 22, 2010 12:21AM

brome Wrote:
> Here's an inspirational blog by a 100%
> fruitarian:
>
> [www.myfruitarianlife.blogspot.com]

"If you are eating anything besides fruit, you are harming yourself. . . you are poisoning yourself". Lost me at that point irrespective of what other merits he or she had in their posts.

Paul

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables