Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Best Green Powder?
Posted by: joymaearth ()
Date: June 10, 2010 10:35PM

I need a recommendation for a Green Powder supplement to put in my juices. Which is best one? Limited budget so I want to find a great one and focus on that monthly. Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Green Powder?
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: June 11, 2010 01:03AM

Can I make a suggestion for no powders and only eat fresh greens? That'll save you money and give you more usable nutrition!

Posted by: buddhistforlife ()
Date: June 11, 2010 01:42AM

My vote would be spirulina-- organic, if you can find it. Lots of usable protein, omega 3's, and no weird fillers. I love the richness it adds to smoothies.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: June 11, 2010 02:15AM

joymaearth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I need a recommendation for a Green Powder
> supplement to put in my juices. Which is best one?
I take Sun Chlorella on a regular basis. It's pretty
expensive (about $1/serving). The best prices are on eBay.....WY

[www.sunchlorellausa.com]

Posted by: back2eden ()
Date: June 11, 2010 04:56AM

Because they are all dried and basicly cooked I dont like any of any of them. i plan to grow my own spirulina soon and only use it fresh.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: June 11, 2010 10:18AM

id say either chlorella, spirulina or wheatgrass, if you get the good organic wheatgrass from new zealand. I sell most of these at the site in my signature if interested.

the chlorella has really boosted my health recently, im half wondering if i have some heavy metal problem and its removing the metals.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: June 11, 2010 12:21PM

Ive used spirulina in the past with allot of obvious benefits...I just felt better in general when using it... Is it wrong that now I cant afford it, I find myself eying my poor fishies food? (100% spirulina flake, weirdly far cheaper than that meant for human consumption...)

Date: June 11, 2010 10:48PM

Utopian Life, thanks for reply. I grew up in the South, eating lots of greens happily, albeit boiled to death. Now as an adult, when I juice raw green of any kind with fruit, I throw up. I don't know what is the problem; thought of pesticides on greens (tho I buy organic 90% of time), maybe the stems are harsh on my system? I just don't know. I would grow my own if I could. Haven't tried to juice frozen yet. What do you think?

Thanks to all for other info as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2010 10:50PM by joymaearth.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: June 11, 2010 11:13PM

Brian Clement says Green Powders are less than 1% effective. But he does believe in the Green Algae Chlorella. I've heard him say that he (and his family) takes it. That's good enough for me.....WY

[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 12, 2010 01:55AM

Why are you juicing greens instead of eating them? I would recommend eating them whole in a salad or blended in a sweet fruit smoothie.....

Posted by: stellium ()
Date: June 12, 2010 06:24AM

I used to use spirulina but after I read more information on raw food diets I realized it's pointless and a waste of money. Eat fruits and vegetables in their natural form. The plus side is that is also the simplest and cheapest way to eat/consume food and nutrients! Don't bother with supplements of any kind.

Date: June 12, 2010 11:54AM

they are what they are called they are supplement to a good diet.

but alot of these powders such as chlorella, spirulina etc provide and do things that no raw diet can give.

Same with herbs, so to say not to bother with any supplements is abit silly. You could eat SAD but eat Raw because its healthier, you could eat raw and exercise which is even better, so why not use tools such as herbs, other foods rich in antioxidents/phytonutrients that cant be obtained elsewhere to acheive better health.

Date: June 12, 2010 12:05PM

Probably because our bodies process foods best in their natural form.....and we don't need anyone to try to sell us anything different.....

Date: June 12, 2010 08:25PM

Utopian Life Wrote:
> Why are you juicing greens instead of eating them?
> I would recommend eating them whole in a salad or
> blended in a sweet fruit smoothie....

I thought I had to juice greens to get enough for optimum health? How much constitutes a good raw day's amount to eat? I eat a salad each day; a head of romaine, lg cuke, 2 tomatoes. Zucchini and green beans 3 or 4 days a week for dinner with brown rice. The rice is the only thing I eat cooked now.

Date: June 12, 2010 09:50PM

1-2 lb. of greens. tomatoes, cucumbers, and zucchini are fruit; green beans are a fruit unless you're speaking of the legume type of bean?

Date: June 16, 2010 09:05PM

Utopian Life Wrote:
> 1-2 lb. of greens. tomatoes, cucumbers, and
> zucchini are fruit; green beans are a fruit unless
> you're speaking of the legume type of bean?

Seriously? My first instinct is that you are playing a joke on me, but I trust this board too much to accept that thought.

Why aren't the cukes, jucchini and string green beans labeled as fruits? My grandfather was a farmer and I am shocked that I was not aware of these foods' real identification.

So basically, except for the brown rice and romaine, I have been living on fruits? No wonder my body kept urging me about what it needs. The body's intelligence never ceases to amaze me.

Just to be safe, spinach, broccoli, kale, collards, and legumes are definitely greens, right?

Thanks for your help. I will definitely be eating 2 cups of greens a day.

Date: June 16, 2010 10:12PM

Cucumbers, zucchini, and green beans are fruits.

spinach, broccoli, kale, collards are vegetables/greens.

Legumes are legumes; there are subtypes, including beans, lentils, and peas. They are NOT a fruit or vegetable. They are a legume. smiling smiley

Posted by: BackAgain ()
Date: June 16, 2010 10:41PM

Whole foods sells individual packets of green powders. The wheatgrass one actually gives me energy. Some say it's "sugar' but doesn't feel like sugar to me. I take it every now and then when a boost is needed.'

'That'll save you money and give you more usable nutrition!

Disagree with blanket statements like that. Some people are so messed up they absorb more nutrition out of their juices than eating them.

Date: June 17, 2010 09:55AM

I'd go with spirulina too.

I used to use barley wheat grass- I found it okay to drink with just water, unlike a lot of other green powders that taste a bit gross. I think it might be more expensive than spirulina though.

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: June 17, 2010 04:18PM

I like chlorella powder the best because it actually tastes good compared to the others, has tons of nutrients and is versatile to be used daily or for a portable meal.

Ocean’s Alive Liquid Marine Phytoplankton is my favorite though of all the green supplements because it's the most effective and extremely portable (barely takes up room).

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 17, 2010 07:17PM

The best green powder is the one that has the roots and the blades. There are many green powders out there but there is only one that includes the roots. Ask yourself why? This powder is grown aerponically (without soil), is organic, and processed with a cold drying process that retains the enzymes and nutrients. Is it better than fresh, Yes because it contains the roots. The roots have 13 amino acids and 3 cancer fighting agents, you don't get that in the blades. And the taste is more like a "green tea" and not strong like what you get in the juice bars. And best of all the cost is 64 cents per serving. Google "bestorganicwheatgrass" to find out where you can get a 1 weeks FREE sample. Try it first!

Date: June 17, 2010 08:06PM

sounds like marketing to me, so your saying anything above the roots is useless basically, all these people juicing the blades of these cereal grasses havent been getting much.

if im right its usually the blades which were tested for there nutrient content rather than the root.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: June 18, 2010 09:24AM

I dont think the person was saying the roots where also really good for you with stuff the blades dont contain, not that the blades themselves are useless... does still sound like marketing though... makes sense however.

Posted by: Ariel55 ()
Date: June 19, 2010 07:48AM

Utopian Life Wrote:
> Cucumbers, zucchini, and green beans are fruits.
>
> spinach, broccoli, kale, collards are
> vegetables/greens.
>
> Legumes are legumes; there are subtypes, including
> beans, lentils, and peas. They are NOT a fruit or
> vegetable. They are a legume. smiling smiley

well I knew cucumbers and zucchini were fruits but I never knew green beans were, so that is another thing, I can add to my list to eat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables