Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Winter Fruits and Veggies
Posted by: Yogamama ()
Date: August 24, 2006 04:02PM

Now that summer is coming to an end here, I was just curious as to which fruits/veggies all of you eat during the winter motnhs?

As I sit here eating my really yummy mango, I think about how much I am going to miss Summer! sad smiley

Kim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Winter Fruits and Veggies
Posted by: Little Bug ()
Date: August 24, 2006 04:25PM

When it's summer, I can't imagine how I could possibly live without watermelon every day for breakfast! But, somehow, it works out fine. In the fall, there are persimmons! I LOVE persimmons. Love, love, love them!

In So California where I live, tangerines and naval oranges are ripe in December so I clean out the trees in my neighborhood when I can. Also, winter is the time to play with raw recipes since I mostly eat fruit and salad in the summer. Pesto, cucumber salads, soups, raw burgers and pies. Lots of fun! :]

J.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: August 24, 2006 04:33PM

Yes, how can you skip the fall and go straight to winter?

I love the persimmons in the fall. I enjoy both the fuyu and the hachiya varieties of persimmons.

In the winter I enjoy the satsuma tangerines, and last year I tried a new variety called Murcotts which I really liked. Also, in the late winter a lot of mangos are available, the ataulfos I love, and I found a new variety last winter/spring from Haiti called Madame Francique.

In the heart of winter, where the isn't much fresh local fruit, I tend to rely on bananas for more of my calories.

Posted by: chilove ()
Date: August 24, 2006 05:05PM

Bananas, dates, oranges, tangerines, ataulfo mangoes

All the best,

Audrey
www.rawhealing.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2006 05:08PM by chilove.

Posted by: summer ()
Date: August 27, 2006 04:12AM

you call it winter when you can still eat persimmons and oranges in december as they come ripe...
let me tell you about winter...3 feet of snow, anywhere from end of october on to as late as mid april...kind of covers the bare dormant branches of any local fruit trees quite beautifully, sprarkling magically in the moonlit frosty air...
apples come out of the root cellar, and thats it for fresh fruit...in the winter we eat dried pears, cherries, plums, apricots, and try not to eat to many bananas from the import store...
veggies fresh, this year kale and other ones that will survive in a warm but unheated solar greenhouse...and whatever the import store has
we eat sprouts now, never in the summer...and sauerkraut...
and play in the snow....we eat that too, but only if its pure white...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables