Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Dried fruit? Yay or nay?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 17, 2010 04:25PM

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone knows whether most dried fruit is sweetened? Even if it isn't, is it a poor snack choice? What would be an appropriate portion size?

Thanks smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dried fruit? Yay or nay?
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: June 17, 2010 05:05PM

Dried fruit is OK for an occasional snack or a transitional food, but eaten all the time is not a great idea. Even if it is dehydrated at 110 degrees, which most fruit in the store is not, it still dehydrates your body, and sticks to your teeth, making your teeth more cavity (or carie) prone.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: June 17, 2010 05:06PM

some commercially available dried fruits are, but they should say right on the ingredient part of the package, dried fruits tend to taste much sweeter than their fresh counterparts, because their sugars are concentrated into a smaller, drier package... I love them as snacks, and im fairly sure they are considered ok on here, although the consensus seems to be that fresh is better for you than dried when available...

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: June 17, 2010 06:38PM

I agree with Prana
Nay! they rob you of vital water. I eat them only occasionally.

Posted by: Nubster ()
Date: June 17, 2010 06:41PM

Where do dates fall as far as dried fruits and being ok to eat or not on a daily basis? I know they are a pretty important component for raw food recipes, especially deserts and things that need sweetened. I just love to eat them though and I don't want to over do it. A pound will last me a week to week and a half so I am not eating that much but if that is even too much I would like to know so I can cut back.

Date: June 17, 2010 07:02PM

I find myself unable to eat small quantities of them. When I was at my highest with raw, I remember buying a packet of dried figs, eating the entire bag and not feeling in the food for anything fresh sad smiley

That said, I swear I read somewhere that dried figs, raisins etc are high in iron?

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: June 17, 2010 09:44PM

I would say just a few pieces of dried fruit now and again - not a daily food

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: June 17, 2010 10:54PM

unsweetened and unsulfured, it can be a nice treat. as a basic, daily part of the diet, nah.

actually, i'm not a fan of dried anything except for herbs.... i like my fluids to come from my foods, so taking that part out is not ideal for me. i soak my dried fruits sometimes too...

so enjoy if you would like, but like the candy they taste like. i love dates, but we only have them as a rare treat. raisins are around- i don't eat them. i love dried mango and figs, but only eat them when on the road b/c in normal daily life there are better things to eat.

hmmm. now i'm thirsty- off to enjoy green juice!

Date: June 18, 2010 01:55AM

Watch out for dried fruits that are coated in oil as well, often it's hydrogenated oil if you can believe that! Way to make a healthy snack completely poisonous. Also bear in mind that the chemicals used to grow non-organic foods will be concentrated in that dried produce so opt for organic wherever possible.

I have had apricots and dates around for so long that they've gone bad, that's how infrequently I eat them. They are, as mentioned above, excellent travel foods and nice for satisfying a craving for sweets. Nice for gourmet raw dishes too though those are best eaten infrequently as well.

Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: June 18, 2010 10:56AM

I eat heaps of dried fruit, organic dates being one of my yearly staples.

I pitt em and blend em in water and its 'datorade'.

Me and Freelee drink between 30-90 dates a day, depending on what other fruit we are eating or how much fuel we want for the next day. More fruit equals more passion and stamina for life.

Combine that with water and as much rest/sleep as you care for, your ready to rawk!

Date: June 18, 2010 01:15PM

That's... a lot of sugar. Too much for me. I don't know if I'd consider that fuel so much as a sugar high. To each their own though, vive la difference!

Posted by: omega-3 ()
Date: June 18, 2010 01:26PM

I agree with the folks saying to be very moderate with dried fruit. I've really had a problem with eating too much dried fruit as a sort of "transition food." It's been hard to kick the habit... dried figs and raisins are really addictive. To me all that sugar feels really speedy and unbalanced. Gabriel Cousens says that occasional use in recipes is OK, but it's best to soak them first. I do like dried apricots on occasion. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I think dates are technically not dried fruit, as the state we eat them in is their original state... but same idea, yeah.

Date: June 18, 2010 01:33PM

You gotta ask yourself too, how was this fruit dried? You're fooling yourself if you think it was set out in the sun instead of baked in an oven. Unless you dried it yourself chances are pretty good that it's nowhere near raw anyhow.

Posted by: omega-3 ()
Date: June 18, 2010 01:42PM

That's a good point, However, I'd like to make an exception for goji berries. My bag of goji berries says that you're sun-dried, and they are, after all, a himalayan superfruit, and profoundly delicious and relatively low-glycemic. :-) And you can't get them fresh unless you're in the mountains of Nepal (I believe).

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: June 18, 2010 02:05PM

I got some mango from the local asian store here (they are gonna be shutting down soon! *cries*) that said it was sun dried...it was different to, as its the only dried mango ive ever had, that had a small amount of salt, it actually added a really nice counterpoint flavor wise, and is part of what originally made me think if using mango in a curry...

Date: June 18, 2010 03:07PM

Gogi berries taste like dirt to me, nowhere near my beloved medjools. The kids like them though, only a few at a time but that's enough from what I've read.

Posted by: Nubster ()
Date: June 18, 2010 10:24PM

omega-3 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's a good point, However, I'd like to make an
> exception for goji berries. My bag of goji berries
> says that you're sun-dried, and they are, after
> all, a himalayan superfruit, and profoundly
> delicious and relatively low-glycemic. :-) And you
> can't get them fresh unless you're in the
> mountains of Nepal (I believe).

You can get goji berry plants. Not sure how well they grow away from asia but the price was cheap so it might be worth a shot next year.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables