Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Do you drink coffee, soda, tea and such??
Posted by: rad gal ()
Date: July 11, 2010 04:53PM

I'm curious~

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do you drink coffee, soda, tea and such??
Posted by: rad gal ()
Date: July 11, 2010 04:58PM

Also, how come my post doesn't have the word "new" in red next to it like the others below??

Posted by: omega-3 ()
Date: July 11, 2010 05:09PM

I'm a recovered coffee addict (preferred espresso), and I believe that coffee is the elephant in the living room of bad health and robotic, non-creative behavior in the western world. It totally shuts down your third eye; it's an extremely powerful drug that's highly addictive and very, very bad for you at every level. Yet its totally accepted in society, and generally glorified. Caffeinated tea and chocolate are only slightly better, and no comment on soda.
Stimulants in general are highly destructive to our health and happiness. For energy stamina we should eat proper raw foods, and there are also good stamina-boosting "adaptogenic" herbs, such as ginseng and rhodiola rosea. For someone trying to switch from coffee to a better alternative, I'd recommend herbs, not caffeinated tea.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: July 11, 2010 08:31PM

I do not drink coffee, teas or soda. Actually I'm not sure what soda is but I'm assuming it's a fizzy drink of some kind?

I do drink rooibos and home made herb teas.

Posted by: rab ()
Date: July 11, 2010 09:48PM

not any more. Never liked soda, but was a slave of coffee and tea. Coffee free for 6 months now smiling smiley

I only drink distilled water, and eat a lot of fruit.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: July 11, 2010 10:23PM

Bout the only thing I drink is distilled water.
I got into the soda trap years ago,where a day didnt feel complete without one.
But no more.
Never was a coffee drinker.
I have an occasional cup of herb tea.

Vinny

Posted by: Nubster ()
Date: July 11, 2010 11:07PM

Never been much for coffee, soda not that often though rarely now trying to make it ZERO but I still have one on the rare occasion, tea used to be my preferred cold drink but now I also drink it very rarely. These days I am on filtered water with almond milk as an occasional treat.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: July 12, 2010 01:14AM

flipperjan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I do not drink coffee, teas or soda. Actually I'm
> not sure what soda is but I'm assuming it's a
> fizzy drink of some kind?
>
> I do drink rooibos and home made herb teas.

LOL--have we hit a regional difference? I call soft drinks (carbonated beverages) 'pop' and 'soda.' I think my Midwestern region mainly calls it pop, but my mom spent years in NYC where I think they call it soda. I studied linguistics and one professor handed out a map of the USA regarding usage of terms for soft drinks according to regions: [popvssoda.com]

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 12, 2010 02:01AM

hmmmm.. interesting

i did hear it called pop in a movie maybe once or twice

so i'm aware that it is called pop

would u call kombucha a "pop"

it sure tastes good and not so good sometimes

in between vinegary and whoaah

soooo anyhow i drink kombucha once in a blue moon

and i like it

kinda

its all good

Date: July 12, 2010 03:44PM

No, pop is just like sugary/sugar-free carbonated beverages like Pepsi, ginger ale, etc. Kombucha is a ferment. So is wine and beer, right? I still have to try kombucha! It's very intriguing to me. About the vinegary taste: when I was a kid, I used to chug white distilled vinegar! My lips would be this weird whitish color afterwards! Of course, I also drank sauerkraut juice (canned) and pickle juice from the jar! So I wonder what I needed...

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: July 12, 2010 03:51PM

Never liked coffee but sometimes my parents would make me drink it as a kid to calm me down, drank soda allot for awhile there, but haven't more than a few times a year for over 3 years now, I love tea, and Id say its quite a bit different from coffee, as even the strongest black teas have at most 1/3 the caffeine of coffee, green, and white teas even less... As I'm ADHD caffeine doesn't have the same effect on my body as it does on most people as well, It is not harmful to me, it actually calms me down, reduces stress, and can even help me get to sleep, as long as there's no sugar involved,lol. (Tisanes, herbal infusions and the such, I find quite wonderful as well... both hot and cold.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: rab ()
Date: July 12, 2010 04:08PM

Curator,

This guy has great improvements with his ADHD with raw food:
[www.youtube.com]

(I just did a search on "raw food for ADHD"winking smiley

It must be possible to completely cure ADHD with the right diet.

...and I don't buy your "coffee relaxes me" argument smiling smiley

Date: July 12, 2010 04:21PM

if you dont buy it, its cause your not ADHD rab, and obviously have no experience at all with ANYONE who has ADHD,as caffeine does the same thing to ANYONE who truly has ADHD (its misdiagnosed often) its been this way my entire life, caffeine will help me go to sleep, I just dont like the taste of coffee, so I seldom use it except on nights in which is very important I get to sleep on time, tea, I have to drink to many cups to get a strong enough effect to put me to sleep, and honestly, I am slightly insulted that you would even question something that has been a daily reality to me for my entire life without having any personal experience with it at all.

Last but not least, there is no "cure" for ADHD as its not a disease, and in reality isnt even truly a disorder, the brains of those with ADHD are physically wired different, and the medical community believes its a disorder because of this, However it can be of major benefit to one that learns how to control it and use it to their advantage, especially considering the average person with ADHD has a much higher I.Q. than average, thinking of a dozen things at once, and actually not getting lost in it is of major benefit, especially in school, taking in everything that's going on around you, and actually training your mind to analyze all of it, instead of just getting overwhelmed by the massive amount of input, is of great benefit... its taken me most of my life to get to that point, but I am far better off having learned to control it and use it to my advantage than I would have been on meds, or using any other method to "cure" it... and really, to move towards gaining control of it, all anyone with ADHD has to do to start out is eliminate most, and if they can, ALL processed sugars from their diet... processed sugars have a much more horrible than usual effect on those with ADHD.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 12, 2010 04:55PM

I was addicted to it all. My favorite drinks were lattes, coke and ice tea. When I gave up caffeine (and sugar) for fertility reasons, my heart palpitations started going away. The joy I felt being released from those was enough for me to give it up forever. I didn't think I could be happy eating a meal with water alone but, it's what I love now. Sometimes, I drink 100% fruit juice. Freedom from these addictions feels so good.
Be well,
Tamara Carr-Morgan

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: July 12, 2010 04:58PM

Omega,
You said that coffee shuts down the third eye? Does black tea do this also? I typically have black tea every morning. Sometimes two cups. I never drink coffee or colas, soft drinks. What else damages the chakras?

If certain foods close a particular chakra, what can reverse that process?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 12, 2010 05:00PM

Curator, ridalin has the opposite effect on me that it's supposed to, so does valium (I have heard this is common with those conditions though I don't exhibit any other symptoms of them). Coffee makes my heart beat like a little hummingbird's though.

Date: July 12, 2010 05:07PM

I have ADD, too, although I have never been formaly diagnosed. I believe that although it's true that some children take Ritalin and it's more of a mellowing-out drug (some to the point of being zombies), when you're older it can really make you speedy, which is why college kids take it to study or party. As for taking coffee before bedtime, sometime people are so addicted to it (because they drink so much of it) that they can drink it at night and not be kept awake. I know that when I stopped all caffeine for almost four years, when I first started again I had those heart-pounding nights where I couldn't sleep until 2 am! But you become acclimated thru the addiction to be able to tolerate more and more of the stuff. Omega 3-- so glad you brought up that stuff about the 3rd eye because I believe you! Coffee/tea/chocolate are soft addictions. "Soft" because they don't seem to impact your life all that much but very insidious none the less. I am about to quit them and I am glad to read yet another reason to stop!

Date: July 12, 2010 05:11PM

If Ritalin has the opposite effect its supposed to, then your not ADHD, that stuff turned me into a zombie, it felt like I suddenly went mostly blind and deaf, for normal people Ritalin acts as an upper, will make them more energy in really small doses, in larger doses, really wires them, and valium of course makes normal people sleepy, for me, normal sleep aids dont work except for some reason NyQuil will, for about 3-4 hours after I fall asleep from it, then I wake up and am wired and cant get back to sleep no matter how hard I try...

There are some people, who dont have ADHD who are made tired by Ritalin, and wired by Valium, my friends ex fiance was one, she supposedly had Severe Bi-polar, but that was what she used as an excuse for her behavior, I dont know whether it was officially diagnosed or not, but If coffee makes your heart beat like that, you definitely don't have ADHD, as that is one of the main ways they can be sure someone does, as ADD/ADHD is the only condition in which caffeine has the opposite effect, as well as any stimulant having a calming, focusing effect...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 12, 2010 05:55PM

I was an inveterate black tea drinker since toddlerhood, but lately I've been making Moroccan spearmint tea--crushed spearmint from my garden, organic white tea leaves, and stevia or bee juice + lots of ice cubes. I don't feel anything but pleased after drinking it : )

P.S. In Michigan, Pepsi, Coke, 7 Up, etc. are "pop." "Soda" is something you mix with scotch, as any civilized person knows ; )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2010 05:56PM by Tamukha.

Date: July 12, 2010 06:03PM

Curator: I think you just browsed my post because I said that when I stopped coffee and started again, THEN I had some sleepless nights while my body was getting used to the caffeine. So I am trying to communicate that caffeine is a highly addictive drug which you can increase your tolerance of. And then the effects are not as noticeable. So I knew someone who would drink a whole pot of coffee a day, which is insane to me. And she could fall asleep at a normal time. The coffee wasn't mellowing her out, it was simply that her tolerance was very high. I am sure that this widely varies. Some people are highly sensitive to caffeinated beverages, like my boyfriend. He had some iced tea the other day and said it made him feel sick. And there are also people who react the opposite when taking various drugs. Like some people with bipolar should not take St. John's Wort or Prozac because it causes them to get agitated or something like that. I have heard the same thing about valerian. It causes some people to get very hyper when it's supposed to be a tranquilizing herb. The bottom line is why are people taking these meds all the time? I don't care if they are "natural," there is some reason why they feel they must medicate and I think that should be investigated!

Posted by: buddhistforlife ()
Date: July 12, 2010 10:40PM

I am a no-apologies, green tea snob. I admit it, it's a fact. Since discovering what REAL green tea tastes like- not the supermarket stuff- several years ago while visiting an established tea shop in Chinatown, I was smitten. Wow!

Since that day, I have searched out a reliable and honest, free-trade and organic, whole tea supplier on the internet. This is my elixir that I enjoy morning before eating my green smoothie, and during the afternoon (now that it's summer, I chill the second infusion for a refreshing cold drink).

Now, there are many health claims for green tea-- that is important-- but my body and soul just love the ritual, taste, and effects.

Just get the good stuff!

Date: July 13, 2010 12:09AM

Oh, and the whole "soda" vs "pop" thing-- as a former Michigander (yes, that's the term), now living in New York, I find it amusing to overhear tourists from the mid-west talk about grabbing a "pop" somewhere to drink...

Luckily, soda/pop was never brought into our home growing up, so I never developed a taste for it. So many I know, though, have an addiction to the stuff,

And coffee-- I used to drink it daily, but rarely consume it nowadays... once in a blue moon. I like the bitter taste, but it's just too intense.

Date: July 13, 2010 12:36AM

banana who, I didnt even see your post, I was replying to coco, you must have entered yours after I came in the thread, but while I was writing my post.

I know that caffeine is addictive, and that people increase their tolerance, I was actually just talking about that to my friend phil the other day when he was lamenting about how he couldn't get any "up" out of his coffee at all anymore, yet felt like crap if he didn't drink it,told him to stop drinking it for a week, then keep it to one cup a morning (instead of the over a pot he would have) and he should do allot better... I dont partake of any caffeinated beverage very often, but there is a big difference between still being able to go to sleep after coffee, and not being able to sleep at all, I wont even be tired, then I drink a couple cups of coffee, and I pass out within 20-30 minutes... I still don't do this often, as I cant stand the taste of coffee...

Hey Buddhist for life! Ive purchased from so many different sites, and at least for me, Ive found www.uptontea.com to be consistently the best for the price, plus their return policy is unheard of, I dont know of any other place that lets you return tea that you feel is stale or whatever...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: July 13, 2010 12:56AM

Hey Curator-- just checked out upton teas-- I will peruse through it more when I have some time. Where I go is www.rishi-tea.com. It's a beautiful website, with lots of info as well. And the teas are amazing!

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: July 13, 2010 01:07AM

Asking if people are consuming cooked foods really doesn't serve the purpose of this of this forum, which is to support people in their raw food exploration.

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables