Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Anyone know what's the best liver flush?
Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: August 28, 2006 02:29PM

I know some people will say don't do it but I think I should try one. I know there are probably different ways of doing it - has anyone had good results with not too much gross food all blended together? I've read things like, blend olive oil & lemons then drink it - not sure I could do that.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone know what's the best liver flush?
Posted by: mark58 ()
Date: August 28, 2006 06:53PM

I don't know if it's the best but I am doing my fourth "Dr. Hulda Clark" Liver Flush tomorrow. Information about the flush is here...
[www.curezone.com]

good luck

Date: August 28, 2006 07:57PM

Wow, neat, thanks Mark!

It reads like some crazy science project, it's so thorough & time-sensitive - I'm def going to try that one.

Posted by: Jose ()
Date: August 28, 2006 08:57PM

Has anyone ever analyzed those stones that form once the liver flush treatment has started? I'm a little skeptical and I think those stones might be due to the high amounts of oil that one is encouraged to consume. So in fact created by the treatment itself.

What about documented analyses of before and after liver enzymes and function? Have people checked this out? I mean, liver function is something that is reasonably well measured, so the efficiency of this treatment shoud be measurable.

Also, fat metabolism by the liver is a relatively tough process, I would have thought a low-fat diet would be the best recovery plan for a dodgy liver.

Like in the movie Supersize Me, where the guy ate a very high fat diet much to his livers chagrin, but afterwards, to detox, his girlfriend fixed him up with a low-fat vegan diet. That would seem more reasonable than make him drink all that olive oil after all those burgers he had, don't you think?

Cheers,
J

Posted by: Raine ()
Date: August 28, 2006 10:08PM

I have never heard of a liver flush - this makes for interesting reading.

Posted by: innervegetable ()
Date: August 29, 2006 02:02AM

healthy raw fat will displace accumulated bad fat (fats that heal, fats that kill)

so it is not accually counter-intuitive

the gallstone flush requires fasting for three days on green apple juice and water, on the third day you down 8 oz of lemon juice and 8 oz of extra-virgin organic stone crushed olive oil, then lay on your right side for six hours... I have never done this, but people swear by it... olive oil and lemon juice flush relieves SYMPTOMS of gallbladder distress and CAN pass OLD galstones.

some would rather fast on apples and/or eat a lot of radishes.

dandilion and milk thistle are POWERFULL liver tonics

(Do your own research trust your intuition)

here one example of a liver cleanse product
Nature's Secret Ultimate Liver Cleanse
"The liver is the target for nearly every toxin, chemical and contaminant that we contact during the course of our lives. Fortunately certain herbs have the remarkable ability to effectively cleanse and support the liver to rejuvenate its optimal functioning state. Ultimate Liver Cleanse combines many of these ingredients in a blend that will cleanse and support liver function."

ingredients: Dehydrated Green Beet powder 100 mg, Artichoke leaf extract 60 mg, Dandelion extract 50 mg, Milk Thistle extract 50 mg, Turmeric extract 40 mg, Barberry extract 35 mg, Boldo extract 35 mg, Fringetree 30 mg, Greater Celandine extract 30 mg, Phyllanthus amarus 22 mg, Picrorizha kurroa 22 mg, Schisandra extract 22 mg, Dandelion 20 mg, Milk Thistle 25mg, Proprietary blend 212mg.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2006 02:14AM by innervegetable.

Date: August 29, 2006 02:27AM

I'm still not convinced. Any scientific data?

Cheers,
J

ps Ingesting 8oz of pure fat (as in olive oil), after a fast, could induce the liver/gallbladder to do strange things I think.

Posted by: mark58 ()
Date: August 29, 2006 04:54AM

Andreas Moritz , author of the "Amazing Liver Cleanse" answers an e-mail regarding questions on liver/gallbladder cleansing. Thought folks might find it helpful.
Full post found here... [curezone.com]

3. The oil and juice cannot turn into stones, the body cannot do that, not even a laboratory. Analysis of the stones shows that they consist of 90 percent cholesterol crystals. The cholesterol in olive is minimal and not sufficient to form any clumpts. Besides it is soluble cholesterol that is unable to coagulate. The reason why the the liver can easily accomodate 4000-5000 stones becauuse of the huge biliary network. Instead of having bile occupying the space, bile stones begin to occupy that space. Of course, the bile ducts dilate because the stones are relatively large in comparison with the normal diametre of a smaller bile duct. This causes the typical enlargement of the liver among people with chronic health problems. In fact most people, even children, in the industrialised world have enlarged livers (which is now considered normal). If a person has 20,000 stones, he actually has a fatty, enlarged liver, completely white on the ultrasound picture.
Also, when the liver and gallbladder are cleared of all stones, no more stones are released. If stones were formed from olive oil, this would continue to be the case even after the liver is clean. But this isn't so. After my 12th cleanse I had no more stones. When I did a 13th cleanse 4 years later, I still had no stones, not suprising given my diet and lifestyle. And I had released over 3,500. All stones were packed with bacteria that produced a horrendous smell. Olive oil is bacteria-static and therefore does not support living bacteria. Bacteria only go where there is decaying organic matter. Anyone who says that olive oil turns into stones has no knowlege of basic biochemistry and digestive functions.

Hope you find this helpful.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 29, 2006 11:54AM

Jose Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Like in the movie Supersize Me, where the guy ate
> a very high fat diet much to his livers chagrin,
> but afterwards, to detox, his girlfriend fixed him
> up with a low-fat vegan diet. That would seem more
> reasonable than make him drink all that olive oil
> after all those burgers he had, don't you think?
>
> Cheers,
> J

Hmm, I'd say he didn't get sick because of "high fat", it was because he was eating McDonalds. winking smiley

You don't just start off drinking the olive oil and lemon, you drink blender food for a few days to a week prior.

I haven't done a liver/gallbladder flush but I will. I plan to do the one David Jubb recommends.

Date: August 29, 2006 03:38PM

Found some interesting articles on the phenomenon of gallstone formation and its relation to diet.

Review: low caloric intake and gall-bladder motor function.

In obese subjects the risk of developing gallstones is increased due to a higher cholesterol saturation of gall-bladder bile. During weight reduction with very low calorie diets (VLCD) the incidence of gallstones increases, but the mechanism for gallstone formation is not completely understood and several pathogenetic mechanisms have been suggested: increased saturation of bile, increased gall-bladder secretion of mucin and calcium, increased presence of prostaglandins and arachidonic acid. Alterations in gall-bladder motility may contribute to gallstone formation, but few studies have addressed the issue of gall-bladder motility during rapid weight loss and its possible role in gallstone formation. VLCD have been associated with a gall-bladder stasis, as a consequence of reduced gall-bladder stimulation by low fat content of the diets. A threshold quantity of fat (10 g) has been documented to obtain efficient gall-bladder emptying. Ursodeoxycholic acid administered during VLCD seems to have a protective role in developing a biliary cholesterol crystals. Gall-bladder emptying was lower in response to low fat meals with respect to relative higher fat meals, before as well as during the VLCD. This may account the possibility of an adaptative response of the gall-bladder motility to a given diet regimen. Adequate fat content of the VLCD may prevent gallstone formation, maintaining adequate gall-bladder motility and may be more economic and physiologically acceptable than administration of a pharmacological agent.

From [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov].

The role of gallbladder emptying in gallstone formation during diet-induced rapid weight loss.

Obese persons are at risk for cholesterol gallstones because their bile is saturated with cholesterol. The risk increases during rapid weight loss by means of certain very-low-calorie diets or gastric bypass surgery. Gallstone risk factors during rapid weight loss include increased bile cholesterol saturation index and gallbladder stasis. Obese subjects were randomized to one of two low-calorie liquid diets for rapid weight loss: a 520-kcal diet with less than 2 g fat/d, and a 900-kcal diet with 30 g fat/d (including one 10-g fat meal to stimulate maximal gallbladder emptying). Bile and blood lipids, saturation index, leukocyte 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A (HMG CoA) reductase activity, and ultrasonographic gallbladder emptying were measured repeatedly during dietary treatment. Both diets produced comparable weight loss of 22%. Bile cholesterol saturation index increased during both diets (26%), but fell to 15% below prediet level after weight loss. Compared with subjects' maximal gallbladder emptying fraction of 66%, the 520-kcal diet provided poor gallbladder emptying (35%), whereas the 10-g fat meal of the 900-kcal diet provided maximal emptying. Gallstones developed in four of six 520-kcal subjects and none of seven 900-kcal subjects (P = .021), an unanticipated difference that resulted in premature study termination for ethical reasons. Blood lipids and HMG CoA reductase activity in mononuclear leukocytes fell at week 8 during both diets, but recovered while weight was still being lost. The findings suggest that gallstone risk during rapid weight loss may be reduced by maintenance of gallbladder emptying with a small amount of dietary fat. Ultimately, weight loss reduced bile cholesterol saturation and improved highdensity lipoprotein (HDL) levels.

Gallbladder motility and gallstone formation in obese patients following very low calorie diets. Use it (fat) to lose it (well).

OBJECTIVE: Dieting obese subjects are at risk of developing gallstones. A gallbladder motor dysfunction could have a pathogenetic role. The principal aim of this study was to evaluate the long term effects of two very low calorie diets differing in fat content on gallbladder emptying and gallstone formation in obese subjects. DESIGN AND SUBJECTS: Gallbladder emptying in response to meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) in two different diet regimens (3.0 vs 12.2 g of fat/d) was evaluated by ultrasonography in 32 gallstone-free obese patients on different days, before and during (at 45 d intervals) one or two 6-month weight reduction diets (for the first three months: 2.24 MJ (535.2 kcal), 3.0 g fat/d vs 2.415 MJ (577.0 kcal), 12.2 g fat/d; for the second three months, the same low calorie diet of 4.194 MJ (1002 kcal)/d for both groups). In 10 subjects, bile analysis was also performed. RESULTS: Twenty-two (69%) subjects concluded the study, eleven in each group, and a significant weight loss was achieved by all subjects. Gallstones (asymptomatic) developed in 6/11 (54.5%) (P < 0.01) of subjects following the lower fat diet, but in none with the higher fat regimen. In the dieters during the first three months (very low calorie phase) the higher fat meals always induced a significantly greater gallbladder emptying than the lower fat meals. The cholesterol saturation index initially increased significantly and then decreased, without difference between the two groups. CONCLUSION: In the obese during rapid weight loss from a very low calorie diet, a relatively high fat intake could prevent gallstone formation, probably by maintaining an adequate gallbladder emptying, which could counterbalance lithogenic mechanisms acting during weight loss.

So, summarizing, it would seem that the very-low calorie, low-fat fast that is recommended to preceed these "liver flushes" actually seems to encourage the formation of gallstones "Gallstone risk factors during rapid weight loss include increased bile cholesterol saturation index and gallbladder stasis." "Gallstones (asymptomatic) developed in 6/11 (54.5%) (P < 0.01) of subjects following the lower fat diet, but in none with the higher fat regimen." So, in fact, these "liver flushes" seem to be intentionally inducing the formation of gallstones, which are then, with difficulty, emptied by the very high fat diet that ensues. In fact, this gallstone creation terminated one study early for ethical reasons Gallstones developed in four of six 520-kcal subjects and none of seven 900-kcal subjects (P = .021), an unanticipated difference that resulted in premature study termination for ethical reasons.

From reading the literaturee, it would seem that a more rational and healthy way of reducing bile cholesterol saturation would be a slightly calorie-reduced plant-food diet with at least a moderate amount of fat.

Cheers,
J

Date: August 29, 2006 03:50PM

Another insightful article.

Gallstone formation and weight loss.

Obesity is associated with increased bile stasis and cholesterol saturation, and an increased risk of gallstone development. Conversely, bile composition is normalized following reduction in body weight. It would appear advantageous to promote weight loss in obesity, which would reduce the predisposition to gallstone formation. Despite the potential health benefits of weight reduction, very-low-calorie diets appear to increase the risk for cholesterol crystal and gallstone formation. The incidence of gallstone formation seems to be dependent on the degree of caloric restriction, the rate of weight loss, and the duration of the dietary intervention. Thus, faster rates of weight loss for longer periods of time are associated with increased risk. Available data obtained from prospective studies of subjects during active weight loss suggest that newly formed gallstones occur within 4 weeks and with incidence rates 15 to 25-fold higher than in the general obese population. The stones produce symptoms in approximately one-third of the subjects, of whom approximately one-half will undergo surgery. Proposed mechanisms underlying gallstone formation during weight reduction include bile stasis due to reduced caloric intake, increased biliary cholesterol saturation secondary to increased cholesterol mobilization, and increased nucleation due to changes in bile arachidonate and glycoprotein concentrations. Data are lacking on the effects of gradual rates of weight loss and risk of gallstone formation.

All these studies seem to indicate that if you are obese or overweight, it is more reasonable to take things nice and slowly on the weight reduction phase, and not go straight into a low-calorie, low-fat diet.

Usually the less "traumatic" the change in diet, the better.

One of the reasons I don't really agree with the "liver flushes" posted above, they seem too traumatic to me. Let the body heal itself in its own time, because it will do if given the chance.

Cheers,
J

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: August 30, 2006 01:09AM

I've heard that the "stones" that come out after the olive oil/lemon juice flush are just saponified oil, which is a result of the olive oil, lemon juice, and bile salts mixing together. Furthermore, if you doubt this, just take your "stones" and put them in the sun, and they will melt into oil.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: August 30, 2006 01:14AM

By the way, if you feel like you have a "fatty" liver, it would be best just to cut out fats for a while, and cut out any foods that might tax the liver. If you were just to eat whole fresh ripe raw organic fruits for a few weeks, this would give the liver a great break from digesting fatty foods.

Date: August 30, 2006 02:29PM

I went to curezone.com and read a lot of testimonials on the subject of liver flushes, and it seems to me that while they may work well for the average person - if you already have gallstones or fatty liver it may not be such a hot idea to do a flush right away, as a flush could cause a larger stone to be lodged in a duct & precipate the need for emergency surgery.

There were some herbs recommended for dissolving the stones before doing a flush, which sounds like a better, less drastic idea than flushing stones, imo.

Date: August 30, 2006 03:33PM

And Jose, thanks for posting those NIH articles - in light of them, my own recent experience makes sense.

I was eating 100% raw for about a week prior with very little fat, then I went drinking with my friends, ended up doing coke (oops) - a really really terrible idea if you've been raw for some time, didn't eat for about 18 hours, then the following week I ended up eating a huge cheese focaccia sandwich one day, and directly afterward I had a gallbladder attack, which I haven't experienced at all in my 5 months of being raw.

I tried making the discomfort go away the raw vegan way but finally had to invest in another bottle of milk thistle, green juices for breakfast, and lean meats (and of course the meat saps my energy).

So I guess the moral of the story is, keep eating moderate fat.

Date: August 30, 2006 04:02PM

I also found this on the website [www.earthclinic.com]

Cure Gallstones
Best Home Remedies to Dissolve Gallstones!

4 readers have sent us the following information on dissolving gallstones. There is a lot of wonderful information contained on this page, so please take your time reading it!

After reading the following information,
Do you have anything to add?

PLEASE SEND US YOUR FEEDBACK!

DEBUNKING THE GALLSTONE CLEANSE MYTH
Well, it appears that everyone is getting fooled by these cleanses!

2/1/2006: Mel from the Philippines writes us, "According the the research of bill sardi, (www.knowledgeofhealth.com), stones removed after lemon-olive liver flush, are 'soap stones". it is the result of the chemical reaction in the digestive system with the olive oil, lemon and epsom salts. i proved it myself after performing the liver flush procedure. in the ct scan result after the procedure, tiny stones still remain in my gallbladder. the allegedly flush stones, which i kept in a sealed container, melts after 3 days. I now conclude that that the procedure touted to remove gallstones only temporarily eliminate the symptoms attack. it will not cure the the problem. For me, the best cure is to dissolve the stones naturally and change your diet that may cause gallstone to form again."

4/16/2006: Melva from Red Lake, ON confirms this as well: "I tried the gall stone cleanse and couldn't believe the amount of "stones" and "gravel" I passed. I showed the stones to my doctor and he agreed that they were indeed gallstones. Then he suggested that another ultrasound be done and whoops! All the original stones were still sloshing around in there. So we sent some "stones" to a lab and the report came back - "These are NOT gallstones". So I have concluded that the ingredients of the cleanse form the stones, with the oil stimulating the gallbladder enough to add bile for the greenish coloring."

??? So who knows

There is a lot of conflicting info on this topic

Posted by: wallace ()
Date: December 20, 2007 10:52AM

Today I am starting the lemon\olive oil drink. Gradually my aim is to see how many whole lemons incluing rind I can eat a day. I have heard people of getting up to 12! We shall see.

Wallace

Posted by: sweetpea ()
Date: December 20, 2007 12:14PM

The best liver flush is outlined in Andreas Moritz book 'The amazing gallbladder and liver flush'. I have been using this protocol for the last 5 months and have noticed improvements.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: December 20, 2007 06:15PM

I think that doing a cleanse for your organs is best to do it over time, that way you aren't 'frying' your internal organs with overconsumption of things like Epsom Salts, and you aren't ingesting large amounts of overt fats which aren't good for your body as they release a lot of bile at one time.

I inadvertently stumbled on a nice easy slow way (not too slow) to help me get rid of calcium based stones, debris, and deposits, they can be lodged in any part of your body including joints, fat, liver, gallbladder, kidney, ureters, and even softer tissues etc.

I was taking Braggs apple cider vinegar for some months, at 3 T a day which quickly took away my 'sciatica' pain which was chronic for many years. I started thinking it wasn't really sciatica but stones that were lodged near nerves, spine, tissues, joints etc. Then I started to just naturally cut back on the acv which at first bothered me, but I didn't seem to want it much later on, even though I started putting into applesauce I still would forget to have that most days.

I learned that the acv was a way to soften up the stones, debris and have my body help itself flush out some of that crap, but not all, in fact not most since it takes time to get rid of lodged calcium deposits in the furtherest reaches of your body. But the malic acid and enzymes in the acv (must say it has The Mother on the bottle) is what gives it its curative properties. That's why it took my sciatica pain away so quickly, it probably helped to dislodge enough on its own that what was pressing on a nerve was gone, broken up, or very softened.

Then I started Iodine and got rid of my thyroid medications after 31 years and with that I felt the need to include grams of magnesium oxide (for cramps esp. in my lower limbs, and back) and I matched the amount of vit-c to the magnesium and took them together. I've been doing that for over a month. But in doing that, I started to release all kinds of 'stuff' in my bm's, and I'm sure it was stones, debris, toxic waste from my digestive system, & uric acid crystals, and it was easily done, not stressful, not eating all that oil, or tons of Epsom Salts which is taxing on your liver and gallbladder. You don't know what kind of damage you can do if you can't see it being done.

I have pulled out all kinds of 'crap' with the magnesium and vit-c (3 grams of mag and at least 3 grams of vit-c as 1 gram of each for 3 doses during the daytime) and it started in my back, to my toes, up thru my legs, my pinky fingers, my colon and even I believe my small intestine.

Then I got a cute book called Unwinding the Belly where you learn how to massage your own colon, and digestive system, working certain areas in your belly. I do this every night, and sometimes upon waking. It gets things moving along, I can feel lumps where there should be none, and I can massage them out over some time. I recently had a healing event of unclogging my large colon where the transverse meeets the descending colon..that turn it takes. It's now soft and compliant and I can't feel any bulges although I have a large bulge near the top of my large colon just after the turn of the ascending colon which I'm trying to heal, and also a few other un-natural lumps that are thru-out my digestive system. It's a trip..and I wish I could see inside myself.

Even skinny minnies can have this stuff inside, you don't have to be obese to have an unhealthy internal system. I'm not skinny but I'm not obese either, I have about 40 lbs I could stand to lose, but I'm pretty sure it's waste materials and lumpy fat that is holding onto some of that waste to keep it from doing more harm floating around in my blood and circulating over and over again. It needs an escape hatch and blowing it all out of one tube at one time is a harsh and ineffective way of doing a cleanse.

Anyone that does not believe our bodies (esp. my age and state of what my health was in) harbor stones, calcium deposits, toxic waste, are not looking at people close enough. Can you see swollen and hard and crooked finger joints on some people? Do people complain of joint stiffness, sciatica, sinus problems, slow or small output of urine, or frequency of urine, how about gout? Digestive issues, pain on right or left sides, backaches, pain in walking due to knee problems, cracking in any joints, hip joint problems, how about those pressure points do they hurt when you press on them and can it hurt an area of your body that isn't even close to where you are pressing on that pressure point? I still have deposits but I can see my pinkie finger joints getting more straight, my chronic dark circles under my eyes are gone and I can pee, I don't have the chronic pain from inside different parts of my body, especially in my right side and I don't limp, or have sciatica, and my hips are so improved it hardly believable to me.

Now take a good look and feel of every body part you have, and how are you feeling? You body is giving you information, you need to learn how to decipher it.

Love,
Prism

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2007 06:28PM by Prism.

Posted by: baltochef ()
Date: December 20, 2007 08:27PM

Prism

How long did you take the Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar before eliminating it from your diet??..

In what form were the vitamin-C & magnesium oxide that you took??..

Do you think fresh orange, or other citrus juices could be substituted for the vitamin-C??..

Thanks, Bruce

Posted by: raamen ()
Date: December 20, 2007 09:05PM

You could also add ashitaba to your diet.

Date: December 21, 2007 05:10AM

Bruce, I have taken the Braggs acv since discovering it in the spring, around April I believe. I'd have to look back in my notes, but around that time. I tapered off of it around 1 or more months ago, and I haven't taken any now for several weeks, and it's not because I don't like it, it's because I have other protocols that are keeping me busy enough and the acv just kind of went by the wayside in a natural progession. My sciatica has not returned, and in fact as I said in above post a lot of other aches and pains, pressure points, etc. are gone or clearing up with the Iodine, magnesium oxide and vit-c.

There are many different types of magnesium, the cheapest being Epsom Salts and it is a good choice, you can put some (a pinch to 1/8 or 1/4 teaspoon) into a drink or water before each (or 1 meal) meal and drink it, you can put it in a bath for a relaxing soak. I take magnesium oxide at 500 mg. tablets and I take 1 gram with 1 gram of vit-c (any vit-c without sugar is good) with that. I take 3 doses per day and it's been 2 months since I started that. I have taken more than that but have tapered off the higher amounts as they aren't needed now I feel.

You can drink your vit c of course as citrus juices, or other fresh juices. You can eat whole fruits which is the best way to get vit-c thru the day. You could do a citrus juice fast for 2-3 days, which is very cleansing. You can also make a fresh squeezed lemon juice (1/2 large lemon) and 1 warm/hot cup of water and raw honey or blackstrap molasses to taste. 2-3 of those per day is yummy way to get vit-c.

Raamen, what is ashitaba? Sounds interesting. Is it a fermented drink of some kind?

Love,
Prism

Date: December 21, 2007 02:39PM

I hear so many conflicting ideas about vinegar, for the moment I dont take it.

Yesterday got through 4 lemons, today 6.

Wallace

Date: December 21, 2007 02:45PM

On the lemon:

senile person is forgetful, confused and his speech rambles. He repeats a question that has been just answered. Memory is so poor that the individual does not recognise members of his own family. So senile patients and those approaching old age need substantial quantities of vitamin C to protect their brain from damage and to fight infections.

Ascorbic acid alone may be used in the preser­vation of vitamin C and treatment for deficiency, but the natural juices of citrus fruits will be more efficient and more complete in their action. In the citrus fruits, ascorbic acid is always accompanied by a bonus of other vital nutrients which nature in her wisdom has supplied. But the citrus fruits or juices should be taken fresh.

Nutritional value of citrus fruits: Citrus fruits are rich in vitamin C and also contain numerous other vitamin factors, especially A, inositol and certain of vitamin B complex. They also supply appreciable supplementary amounts of minerals with which it becomes easy to maintain health properly. Minerals build rich blood, strong bones, nerve tissues and assist in regulating the body. Calcium found in orange makes them a valuable food for infants as it is necessary for growing bodies. Oranges are likewise useful for older people.

Lemons as medicine: Lemon juice cures menorrhagia, nose-bleeding, hepatitis, gastric ulcer if taken several times daily. Of all foods which have also been used as medicines, lemons are the most commonly known. The custom of using a slice of lemon when eating a fish dinner was originally intended for remedial purposes rather than for flavouring. It was believed that if a fish bone were to be accidentally swallowed during the meal, the juice of lemon could dissolve it. Lemons have been used as a household romedy for colds, rheumatism, sore throat, gastric and liver troubles, headache, heartburn, biliousness etc. Lemon juice mixed with glycerine is used for chapped lips or chilblains. For constipation, the juice of a lemon as taken in a glass of hot water one-half hour before breakfast. Local application of lemon juice is used to allay irritation caused by bites of gnats and similar insects.

Dr. Fred R. Klenner has described most elaborately the various uses of lemon in his book 'The Key to Good Health: Vitamin C. He has said that lemon juice is very useful in arthritis, cold, hypertension, sun-stroke and menorrhagia.

Other uses: removing stains: Use clear lemon Juice; it will remove stains from the hands.

Dr. Fred R. Klenner in his book 'The Key to Good Health: Vitamin C' has also confirmed the above­mentioned uses of lemon.

Dr. Donald Law in his book 'Herbs for cooking and for healing' has said that there are over 20, varieties of lemon but the juice of all of them is most helpful as a remedy for purifying the blood, for rubbing into the scalp against falling hair. Lemon juice mixed with shampoo acts as a tonic to the scalp. From medieval times the skin of lemon has been chewed to act as a cleaner of teeth and strengthener of gums. Naturopaths frequently recommend a course of lemon juice and water to rid the body of accumulated poisons and debris. You can extract more juice from a lemon if you place it in an oven for a few minutes and bake it slowly. The humble lemon contains vitamin A, B, C, G and the rare vitamin P.

Lemon juice cures erysipelas, carbuncle and, abscess. Dysentery quickly disappears after a few drinks of pure lemon or musumbi juice. Some naturopaths also cured diabetes by giving pure lemon or musumbi juice to drink. Jaundice and clotting of arteries by cholesterol are alleviated by prolonged course of lemon juice. Many diseases of the respiratory system can be cured by including lemon juice in the diet. It may be sweetened by adding sugar to it.

Dr. Richard Lucas in his book 'Nature's Medicines' has expressed the view that lemons were highly valued in ancient times as medicine and for prevention of scurvy. Scurvy is a disease characterised by a spongy condition of the gums, loosening of the teeth, foul breath, debility and anaemia. There is also a tendency to haemorrhage especially into the mucous membranes and skin. Scurvy was common among the crewmen on the old time sailing vessels where the diet consisted entirely of dried or salted biscuits or loaf. The scientific answer to scurvy is vitamin C which is available in plenty in citrus fruits.

Drs. Wood and Ruddock in their book 'Encyclopaedia of health and home' remarked that lomon juice may be used in curing asthma, cough and cold, corns, headache, heartburn, vomiting and whooping cough.

Dr. M. Grieve in his book 'Modem Herbal' has said that washing the face with lemon juice and water is said to remove tan, freckles or blackheads.

Lemon juice rubbed in the scalp before shampooing is considered as an effective remedy for dandruff. A lemon milk preparation is employed for whitening and softening the skin of the hands and face. Lemon juice is an all-round beauty aid. Lemon juice makes a nice rinse for the hair. It will remove the soap film much better than plain water.

Dr. Joseph E. Meyer in his book 'Nature's Remedies' has said that a few drops of lemon juice sprinkled over sliced bananas, apples or grapes will prevent them from turning brown for a considerable period of time. Frequent applications of lemon juice is said to remove ink, rust, or mild stains from cloth. For this purpose some recipes call for the addition of milk or salt to lemon juice.

Dr. A. N. Ghei in his book 'The Book of Food and Nutrition' has expressed that the addition of lemon juice to rice, boiled fish etc. gives a special flavour and has some specific action in promoting digestion. It is also used in salads. Being very rich in vitamin C, it acts as an antiscorbutic.

Dr. W. Hale-White in his book 'Materia Medica' has said that lemon-juice is used to relieve thirst and to make effervescing mixtures and drinks. Its action is the same as that of citric acid.

Nicholas Culpepper in his book 'Complete Herbal' has written that fruit and vegetable juice offers an excellent remedy for arthritis, bronchitis, intestinal disorders, stomach disorders and urinary disorders. He has observed that cooking destroys most of the natural vitamins and minerals. He has advised to consume raw fresh fruit and vegetable juices as far as practicable.

Harrison Dayal in his book 'Ancient Indian Energy Food' and Kristine Nolfi in her book 'My experiences with living food' have given various uses of lemon. Ramon Bernard in his book 'Herbal elixirs of life' has identified lemon as the 'miracle fruit'. Nelson Coon in his book 'Using plants for healing' has narrated the various medicinal uses of lemon.
Benefit and uses of Lemon:

1. Arthritis, rheumatic diseases: A few drinks of lemon juice is the surest remedy for rheumatic fever, painful joints, lumbago and sciatica. There will be no cardiac complications. Those with incipient arthritis were given ascorbic acid therapy and similar results were achieved.
2. Common cold: Lemon juice or vitamin C tablets taken three or four times daily along with garlic cures cough and cold.
3. Oedema: Oedema of the muscular region produced by vascular decompensation often responds more rapidly when 10 to 33 ounces of orange or grape-fruit juice is given in addition to 500 mg of vitamin C for three or four days.
4. Hypertension, and cardiovascular diseases: Many illnesses of the aged may be prevented with an adequate intake of vitamin C daily. Particularly cerebrovascular diseases and heart disorders may be largely reduced.
5. Prickly heat: Quick relief is obtained by taking a few drinks of lemon juice daily.
6. Shock: To prevent surgical shock surgeons apply ascorbic acid routinely before and after surgery. 500 mg by mouth one hour before surgery to patients of average weight helps to useful in preventing shock and post-operative weakness.
7. Menorrhagia and haemorrhage: A few drinks of lemon juice or narangi juice will certainly give some relief in acute menorrhagia.
8. Asthma: Many cases of asthma have been relieved by taking a half-spoonful of lemon-juice before each meal and upon retiring.
9. Cough and cold: Roasted lemon when properly prepared is one of the most effective remedies for cough and cold.
10. Corns: Lemon juice applied to corns a few times a day makes an effective remedy. Bind the corn and leave it overnight, you can expect wonderful results.
11. Headache: Lemon tea relieves headache.
12. Heartburn: If you take one glass of lemon juice, you will surely get relief from it.
13. Nausea, vomiting and travel sickness: If one takes a glass of lemon juice before leaving home, one can return from travelling without any trouble.
14. Sun-stroke or heat-stroke: Lemon or lime (musumbi) juice prevents sun-stroke or heat­stroke.
15. Whooping cough: Lemon or musumbi (lime) juice is a household remedy for whooping cough.
16. Weakness and general debility: Lemon or musumbi (lime) juice offers an excellent remedy in general debility and weakness.
17. Low vitality: Lemon or lime (musumbi) juice removes this condition very quickly

Posted by: lacombe ()
Date: December 21, 2007 02:57PM

hi prism

i found your post about bulges in your intestines quite interesting. i always felt that my middle was bigger than it should be...i'm not fat 6'4" and about 205 lbs. anyway, i went for a colonics treatment and i lost a full 10 lbs during that one hour treatment and my middle flattened out considerably. i'm not suggesting that for you but you may want to research that. it scared me to think i was walking around with at least 10 lbs of fecal matter in my system.

i still go for a treatment about once a year but have never lost more than 2 lbs during any one treatment since.

cheers
charlie

Posted by: raamen ()
Date: December 21, 2007 06:23PM

Prism, ashitaba is a plant.

[www.ashitabagreen.com]

Date: December 21, 2007 08:14PM

Yes, I have done a series of colonics with a therapist and it was pretty cool. I did 2 x a week, or 6 weeks and also took a good probiotic while doing it. I thought I'd like to keep them up at the change of each season. I am going to do another 30 day parasites cleanse also as that had it's own rewarding healing event and I want to see what the second one can do.

I didn't lose 10 lbs, but I was pretty much staying all raw or high raw when I was doing the colonics. I don't think I got a lot of benefit from that series due to my tangled and unhealthy colon. I was 2 sizes smaller than I am now. I think the next one would be very good for me as I've been working on my digestive system. I would like to find a hydro therapist that does vigorous tummy massaging while I'm getting the colonic done.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: lacombe ()
Date: December 21, 2007 08:43PM

prism

my friend whi is a regustered colonics provider also teaches massage therapy at his school and every time i've had a colonics treatment i've gotten the deep massage on my colon area. his clinic is in red deer, alberta if you are interested. i know...it's a long way from nowhere lol.

cheers
charlie

Date: December 22, 2007 02:59AM

Yes, too far for mesmiling smiley Too bad though!

Love,
Prism

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: December 22, 2007 03:22AM

Lemons, YES!

Lemons are great. I wonder if I could eat 12 in a day. Wallace said he'd heard of it being done. It doesn't sound that hard. I'm going to try it next week, if I remember (the lemons, not the oil).

I can see how nothing but lemons and fruit juices chased later by olive oil would cause a flush, though I'm not sure it would flush out gallstones.

Whenever possible, I think it's better to stay raw, stay vegan and water fast intermittently on a regular basis.

Sunshine! Bad! Still love you though. smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2007 03:30AM by suncloud.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables