Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

oats
Posted by: abi0961 ()
Date: August 29, 2006 02:10AM

I just purchased "steel cut oat groats" in the bulk section of my health food store today. The suggested cooking intructions (obviously I won't be following them) say to cook for 30-45 minutes, so I'm assuming they're raw...if I grind them in a coffee grinder and soak for a bit will I be good to go for breakfast??

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: oats
Posted by: abi0961 ()
Date: August 29, 2006 05:25PM

ah ha! Question was answered in earlier post...

Posted by: rawmark ()
Date: August 31, 2006 03:13PM

Nah, I don't think so. I can't be sure. Instead, I'd buy oat berries which I know are raw.

In fact, wheat berries and oat berries are yummy when soaked.

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: September 08, 2006 11:41PM

When buying oat berries (or wheat), I normal do sample sprout to make sure they are viable.

I've been eating a lot of raw oats lately. I soak them for 20-30minutes and add some chopped up dates. This makes a lovely simple breakfast when you don't have access to fresh produce.

Cheers,
Ian.

Posted by: innervegetable ()
Date: September 10, 2006 04:49AM

steel cut oats are great when soaked. They are raw (not heated) I usually use citrus juice to soak them in mmmmmmmmmmm.

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: September 10, 2006 03:36PM

Hi Innervegetable,

I think all (well, all the ones I've found) steel cut oats are heated to denature them for a longer shelf life. Without being denatured, they will only have a shelf life of a few months. I think there are some alternative methods of denaturing that don't use heat (UV? IR? or something), but I wouldn't consider those to be raw either.

What is the shelf life/use-by-date of the steel cut oats you have? Also I'm interested in the brand and price as well (if they are really raw, I would buy them). Even the whole berries you buy from the bulk foods section will most likely have been heated. Sprouting a sample is really the only way to know for sure (even if they are labeled and sold as "raw"winking smiley.

Cheers,
Ian.

Posted by: jlbff ()
Date: September 10, 2006 07:54PM

I love real raw rolled oats, but you can only buy them on-line and there aren't very many sources. I just don't trust the health stores anymore when something is labeled raw, unless it's a company I'm familiar with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2006 07:54PM by jlbff.

Posted by: abc123tyler ()
Date: September 10, 2006 09:48PM

buy straight oat groats.... they are actually raw, unlike the steel cut and whatever-else rolled grains in whole foods and similar groceries.

if grains sprout...they're raw.

Posted by: rawmark ()
Date: September 11, 2006 03:17AM

I don't use steel cut oats because they've been processed. Instead, I use oat berries which I soak for about a day. They are a great breakfast cereal and are totally yummy with fresh hemp seed milk, or almond milk. Mix in some soaked almonds, raisins, pecans and you've got a totally delish way to start a day.

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables