Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Getting extremely ill after drinking juice...
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: August 09, 2010 12:59AM

yesterday and today, immediately after drinking fresh made juice (carrot,kale,beet & greens) I have become extremely ill, all produce is from the same sources ive been buying it from for quite awhile now, I become nauseous at first, slightly disoriented, then tired and a mild headache...first time I didnt make the connection, twice in a row though...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Getting extremely ill after drinking juice...
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: August 09, 2010 01:28AM

Perhaps its time to back off the juice for now and find another beverage that works for you.

Date: August 09, 2010 01:38AM

I dont really consider that an option, till these last two days, ive never felt better in my life than I have since I started juicing... ive been thinking a bit more about it, and im going to stop using beets and see how I feel, then if im good, re-introduce beets again and see what happens, as beets are about the only difference over the last week ive made in my diet...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: MBS ()
Date: August 09, 2010 01:53AM

Curator Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I dont really consider that an option, till these
> last two days, ive never felt better in my life
> than I have since I started juicing... ive been
> thinking a bit more about it, and im going to stop
> using beets and see how I feel, then if im good,
> re-introduce beets again and see what happens, as
> beets are about the only difference over the last
> week ive made in my diet...

It looks like you have answered your own question; beet juice, especially if you have never drank it, can be nauseating, even in small quantities. I used to juice them quite a bit.

Date: August 09, 2010 01:58AM

really? wow...nobody on here,or online when I looked it up, mentioned anything about it... the interesting thing though, the first 5 times I drank it I didnt have this problem,it was just these last two times... so I was thinking it was more of a mild allergy, thats slowly getting worse as I expose myself to it more...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: meganbubbs ()
Date: August 09, 2010 03:09AM

Yeah, I was going to say stop the beets, but you beat me to it. Something in them like the oxalic acid or something can be alittle to much for the liver to process when they are raw, juiced and you drink more than a few ounces.

Date: August 09, 2010 05:36AM

they have oxalic acid? I thought only relatives of the cabbage (except kale and collards) had oxalic acid? guess I didn't research beets enough be4 consuming them...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: August 09, 2010 08:16AM

Yeah most definitley the beets, i had the same reaction the first few times i juiced them.

Loads of vegetables contain oxalic acid curator.

Date: August 09, 2010 08:48AM

The dry/scratchy throat side-affect concerns me about beet juice. Doesn't seem to be the kind of reaction you expect from drinking something healthy. But still, beet juice is tasty and I'm sure in smaller amounts it's more beneficial- I read somewhere 1/3 of a beet is the most that should be juiced.

If I make a potent juice, I follow it up with lots of water, and sometimes dilute the juice if it's a bit too lively smiling smiley

Date: August 09, 2010 09:01AM

still interesting I didn't have the reaction at first, but I am now.

I meant that I thought cabbage, and vegetables related to cabbage (which include a huuuuge chunk of all veggies sold) had the most, from what I checked out earlier, before coming back on to see your reply,beets have next to none,with cabbages having slightly less, the leaves of beats are much higher however...there do seem to be some small discrepancies between each source however, but considering the USDA one was done in 84, my birth year, It probably isnt as accurate... but even the oxalic acid in the leaves isnt even close to the amount in many other things I commonly eat, sooo, I dont think thats the problem...

[sun.ars-grin.gov]

[www.nal.usda.gov]

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: August 09, 2010 09:02AM

hmmm, I haven't gotten a scratchy throat... have been coughing some junk out of my lungs though...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 09, 2010 12:37PM

You could try eliminating one thing each juice to test your response; maybe go alphabetically smiling smiley

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: August 09, 2010 01:33PM

I'd also like to know what it is about beet root these days that gives me a bit of nausea if I juice more than a chunk... I'm fine with beet greens.

Date: August 09, 2010 01:56PM

I'm also good with carrots and kale and can eat lots of each. Other root veggies like sweet potato, potato, parsnips, turnips, yam etc. are no problem for me. It's just beet root in quantity, but I used to be able to eat more of them as well...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2010 01:58PM by loeve.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: August 09, 2010 11:42PM

beets are strongly detoxifying to the kidneys too

well, i don't have any problem with beet juice
then again when i juice them, i just juice a little nick of them

not a whole lot
since a little goes a long way

i also love the green leaves

it IS strong though

makes my juice look all violetish red

like a sunset that went on a rampage and got out of control

Date: August 10, 2010 12:00AM

I juice a whole beet and the leaves, they arent really large though, about the size of a large apricot, I love how pretty it makes the juice, and your description is awesome too,lol... first time I juiced it though I put a whole bunch of 5 into my juice...thats when it tasted like sweet dirt to me, cause all I could taste was the beet,lol... I even had 2 bunches of kale in there,lol...HUGE bunches too, ocean air farms has been producing some ginormous bunches of kale lately...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 10, 2010 02:37AM

Maybe it's the leaves, I don't eat those raw myself. I have no problem with beets, whole or juiced. I lurves dem!

Date: August 10, 2010 03:35AM

Well, thats possible, Im cutting the beets out for a few days, then I will try just beet root for a few days, then just the leaves, and see what happens... I'll let everyone know my results when experimentation is donesmiling smiley

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: pineapplegirl ()
Date: August 10, 2010 05:31AM

in my experience, i reacted to fresh squeezed beet juice and carrot juice badly because of the extremely high sugar content in beets and carrots that is then concentrated in juice form.

this caused a mass blood sugar spike, and was unpleasant.

i like to drink the low glycemic veggie juices, my favorite blend at the organic juice bar is a combo of kale, cucumber, and celery.

Date: August 10, 2010 10:12PM

mmm, that sounds pretty good, cucumber should be coming down in price around here soon too...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: August 10, 2010 11:11PM

Well, if fruit juice makes you feel bad then I can see it possibly being the sugar content of the beets and carrots but if you love apple juice and it makes you feel good I don't think that's it...

Date: August 11, 2010 12:26AM

I get sick if I drink to much apple juice, but nothing like this, I dont get sick however from pure carrot juice, feel great on it actually, I think with the apple juice though its something introduced in the manufacturing process of the cheap stuff I have an issue with, as fresh apple juice and apple ciders have no negative effects on me...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: August 11, 2010 12:33AM

Okay. I'm going to get really personal and a little nasty, so please ignore my question if this offends. But, do those who have bad reactions to beets get red urine from consuming beets? I'm curious because I've read that the red dye is actually the anti-carcinogen betaine and that if it turns your pee red it's because it's actually entered your blood stream and may be flushing out carcinogens. I just wondered if feeling ill is a side effect of that.

Date: August 11, 2010 12:55AM

yes, it has turned my urine red, and fecal matter. first time it happened it scared the crap out of me, pun intended.

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: August 11, 2010 01:04AM

Sometimes my pee gets a little pink, the kids too. It's ALWAYS freaky if I forget we had beets and someone does a #2, OMG I freak out EVERY time thinking it's blood then I have a good laugh at myself for a minute or two.

Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: August 11, 2010 01:11AM

The red fecal matter happens to everyone and is insignificant because that stuff goes in the mouth and out the other end without entering the bloodsteam. The urine is matter filtered by the kidneys from the bloodstream and so indicates that the betaine has entered the body and has access to all the sites in your body where cancer may be.

It's interesting that you said yes, because I've read that beeturia (red tinged pee after eating beets) only occurs in about 15% of people and has a strong correlation to altered iron regulation. [www.lancet.com]

As far as making you ill, you might be interested in this warning on a juicing site:

http://www.juicingbook.com/vegetables/beet/
Beets are probably one of the most powerful vegetables available. Beets are known for causing both stools and urine to turn red and if this happens, don't be surprised.

Never drink beet juice by itself. Beet juice should always be mixed with other vegetables and/or apple juice. Pure beet juice (from the bulb or greens) can temporarily paralyze your vocal chords, make you break out in hives, increase your heart rate, cause chills or a fever.

Beets are best used in small amounts. I never use more than 1 to 2 ounces of beet juice (approximately ½ a small beet or ¼ a large beet).

Use moderately. Both the roots and greens are powerful cleansers of the body. Beets are said to really cleanse the blood and kidneys and this is why it is suggested you use beets moderately.

Beets (including beet greens) are high in oxalic acid and therefore should be avoided by those who suffer from or are at risk for kidney stones, gout, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis and those whose stomach is easily irritated. Read my notes on oxalic acid for more information.

Since beets are high in oxalic acid, you should also avoid combining beets with other vegetables that are high in calcium, such as broccoli. Oxalic acid combines with calcium to create an indigestible compound. You should also avoid eating calcium rich food immediately after eating or juicing beets or any food high in oxalic acid. This includes foods like tofu.

Date: August 11, 2010 01:18AM

Same here, I've read about it too (beeturia), and think it's considered harmless. though many people have the ability to digest that red pigment before it enters the bloodstream and so they don't get the red pigment after-affects. Between nausea caused by possible intense liver cleansing, and beeturia I've got a couple reasons to avoid them but they're just too beautiful a veggie for me to forget. Next up pickled raw beets.

They are high glycemic aren't they, though I seem to be ok with the starchy root veggies so far...

Date: August 11, 2010 02:00AM

Weird! I've always had low iron, all my entire life.

Date: August 11, 2010 09:16AM

Correction from my earlier post -- beets actually have a low (5) glycemic load, that is, for a one cup serving there are only 64 calories, and it's mostly sucrose, more comparable to fruit sugar actually.

There's a "correlation to altered iron regulation", which says maybe people who don't fully digest beets might not fully digest other iron rich foods? Beets are a good source of iron.

"Anemia: The high content of iron in beets regenerates and reactivates the red blood cells and supplies fresh oxygen to the body. The copper content in beets help make the iron more available to the body. A great blood builder."

[www.juicing-for-health.com]

Googling "beet poisoning" brings up issues mostly with cattle fodder, not so much with humans. The greens can be too high in nitrates for cattle which is probably more a conventional fertilizer issue. (New born infants shouldn't be exposed to too much nitrates, i.e. no green juice fasting for babies!, because their digestive system is not yet up to it.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2010 09:21AM by loeve.

Date: August 11, 2010 01:42PM

Sh!t. My son's papa has wilsons disease, we are scheduled for genetic testing but I guess I should be avoiding beets as part of his diet. Darn, we all really like them a lot.
Well, that's for the info.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables