Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Gingivitis and Periodonits
Posted by: raamen ()
Date: August 29, 2006 09:41PM

I just came from the dentist and he said I had gingivitis and if he didn't do a scaling treatment of my teeth and gums periodontis is inevitable. I honestly haven't been to the dentist in many years. I have had different levels of dillegence with raw and living foods since '99. Even did about a year 100% and some other stints here in there. Anyway I really feel stupid for being so negligent to myself. I say this to really encourage all of you to take care of your teeth.

Does anyone have any suggestions with regard to diet and remedies I should consider for my gums and the connecting bone tisse? Are any ways to regenerate the tissue I have neglected?

thank you ever so kindly for any light you may shed upon me!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gingivitis and Periodonits
Posted by: Jose ()
Date: August 29, 2006 10:51PM

Yes, there are things you can do to improve your dental health.

Most important is to avoid an acidic environment in your mouth. This can be caused directly by acidic foods, or by rests of food that are not cleaned properly. If there are rests of food then bacteria will start to grow and produce acids that will eat away at your gums and enamel.

So,

a) don't eat acidic foods, like citrus, vinegar, etc.. see [www.cfsan.fda.gov]

b) always rinse and brush lightly and floss straight away after a meal

c) Make sure you are getting a balance of calcium and phosphorus in your diet, these two elements control the pH value in your body at large, and the health of all your skeletal tissues (as well as sodium and potassium).

d) for extra alkalinity after meals you can swish around some salty water in your mouth for a bit and then rinse. This will restore the alkalinity in your mouth quite quickly.

Cheers,
J

Posted by: rawmark ()
Date: August 31, 2006 03:12PM

Best info you can find on the lies dentists tell.

[mizar5.com]

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Date: August 31, 2006 04:30PM

Jose and Rawmark thank you for the love and light! Rawmark that site is really encouraging. Thanks again. I have to take more responsibilty as I already know.

oneness

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: August 31, 2006 07:27PM

In addition to the above great advice (except that I think citrus is fine as long as you brush and/or do saltwater rinse afterward to restore your mouth to alkaline), I suggest using a WATER PIK to really strengthen the gums.

Best wishes, -Ally

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2006 07:32PM by Ally.

Posted by: monson ()
Date: August 31, 2006 08:36PM

you could also try [www.doctoryourself.com]

Date: September 01, 2006 03:19PM

Wow, this is really helpful everyone. Thanks for the love and wisdom.

Posted by: Raine ()
Date: September 02, 2006 06:08PM

2 minutes - 2 times a day -- MINIMUM!

You must brush your teeth for 2 minutes at least 2 x per day. I have one of those balls to the wall Oral-B's with the timer that pulsates and rotating heads and I absolutely swear by that thing. Since it can hold it's charge to be used 2x2 per day for up to 2 weeks, it goes with me on all trips.

A few years ago when I first started doing the 2x2 method, my gums bleed - I'd only been brushing for about 30 seconds before. Within a few days they were tight and no blood at all.

I also use Nature's Gate toothpaste. Floss & Rinse.

Has anyone else noticed the disgusting taste to mainstream toothpastes after using a "natural" one for a while?

~raine~

Posted by: uma ()
Date: September 04, 2006 03:24AM

Actually I was told it isn't a good idea to brush the teeth right after eating citrus, it may actually cause some erosion since you are brushing that acidic juice into the enamel. My dentist said it's good to rinse with water.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 17, 2006 06:30AM

I have a Fantastic 90 min AUDIO CD TITLED RAW AND DENTAL HEALTH, by Dr. Jameth Sheridan from the 2004 Raw foods Festival in portland, OR. Amazing CD that explains everything you ever wanted to know about Vegan Raw Diet and Dental health and the Most Natural and Effective methods of taking great care of your teeth and gums ! write me at DJ7510@AOL.COM

Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables