Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

raw foods and kosher
Posted by: rawblue ()
Date: August 29, 2006 10:44PM

Hi

I am attending a camp this weekend in which all food eaten anywhere in any building must be kosher.

Since all prepackaged food (raw crackers--Lara bars) that I bring are vegan, I think they are OK. Obviously fresh and dried fruit are kosher.

My question is--if I make something like spinach dip at home in my food processer that has never seen meat---is is kosher?

Since I don't eat meat--the meat and dairy combo is not a problem.

Any ideas?

Thankfully the weather is supposed to be nice enough that I can just eat outside smiling smiley Also, fortunately the food at this camp was sooo bad the last time I was there I will not feel deprived at all eating food I bring!

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: raw foods and kosher
Posted by: juve ()
Date: August 29, 2006 11:03PM

ive always heard mixed definitions of kosher (someone clarify please)

Posted by: rawfoodie ()
Date: September 03, 2006 10:01PM

No it will not be 100% kosher because as much as I understand, there was a time when you used unkosher dairy in the food processor. But I think they will still allow it. But it's always better to ask. Some religious people don't want ANYTHING unpackaged and without a kosher label brought in because there's no way for them to know what really happened in that kitchen.

Good Luck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2006 10:03PM by rawfoodie.

Posted by: innervegetable ()
Date: September 04, 2006 01:52AM

Answer

kosher means confrming to dietary laws--ritually pure--selling or serving food prepared in accordance with dietary laws....usually associated with jewish cooking... Kosher when talking about salt just means that the salt grains are a certain shape, the shape used to "kosher" meat. These are excellent for using to salt things during cooking because they don't contain iodine, which can have an odd flavour and they are shaped to stick and disolve rather than table salt which rolls off and doesn't disolve quickly.

Answer

Kosher also means "blessed by a Rabbi."

Answer

When a food product is considered Kosher, it is prepared in a certain way as outlined by the Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations of America. The food should have a U within a circle. This signifies that the Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations of America approved the food as being prepared kosher. If you only see a K on the label then the company that manufactured the food says it is kosher, but it has not been checked by the UOJCA. Kosher food requires, among other things, the separation of meat and milk and specific procedures for slaughtering and preparing meat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables