Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Arg.. I sure am struggling.
Posted by: DaisyHair ()
Date: August 30, 2010 07:01PM

Well it's day 8 today!!. I have been as high raw as I could (at least 75% and most days as close to 100% as I can).

Saturday for lunch I ate sushi (pretty much all cooked) on an outing with my family and it was the first chosen cooked food meal I ate all week (I say 75% because I am eating allot of nuts and my truly raw nuts have not come in yet).

I am SO hungry! I find that the only thing that is helping to keep my hunger down is nuts and veggie/avo sandwiches on this zucchini/corn/sunflower seed cracker I made in the dehydrator.

I bought two young coconuts and am looking forward to eating one of them with a huge salad for dinner tonight.

Until noon yesterday and today I had nothing but fruit (really trying to add more fruit) but by 1pm I was seriously hungry. (I am excited to say I don't seem to be having any candida issues with the larger amt. of fruit yet).

I just seem so hungry. For lunch I ate 3/4 of a cup of walnuts/almonds and cashews on a large salad. I finally feel full but the large amt. of nuts freaks me out.

Wanted some feedback from you all. This forum is helping me more than you could ever imagine.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Arg.. I sure am struggling.
Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: August 30, 2010 07:49PM

Hi there.
Good job getting to day 8.

I would say that as time goes by,the hunger will lessen.
You certainly seem to be eating enough bulk,and the nuts and avocado sure can be filling.
I would say give it time.
Is this your first time you have eaten a raw diet?

Vinny

Posted by: dvdai ()
Date: August 30, 2010 07:59PM

initially, i wouldn't worry so much about the seed/nut intake. If you are physically and mentally okay from the seeds/nuts than it works for now. Your body more than likely will tell you when enough is enough. I feel too much of that is better than the sushi.

david

Posted by: DaisyHair ()
Date: August 30, 2010 08:07PM

Hi!

Thank you for the posts.

Vinny,
I am brand new to Raw. I tried for a while last summer after reading 80/10/10 but didn't really reach out for support and was hit hard by so many changes and frustrations that I gave in.

I need feedback and support and I know it now. I am going to try my best to post every day for the first 6 weeks.. even if I am having a great day.. or maybe especially because I am having a great day.

Hi David,

Ya.. I am so used to such a heavy diet (low carb - lots of dairy/meat) for a long time that I am really having to eat allot of bulk right now.

I have not had any issues except with raw onion in my salads. I am hoping that will change soon as I love onion!

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: August 30, 2010 08:11PM

Are you eating three traditional meals a day like most people on a SAD (standard American diet)? If so, try eating frequently throughout the day. It keeps your blood sugar up and reduces wild cravings. When I first started eating raw food, I "gave myself permission" to eat as much fruit and salad as I wanted, WHENEVER I wanted it. (And, yes, I ate fruit, fruit, fruit.) I wanted to be successful and that made it easy.

I also ate more fat (nuts and seeds) than I should, but that helped me make the transition, so I wasn't hard on myself. One fatty thing that helped me was to use sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil. (The store-bought sun-dried ones were too salty, even after being soaked.) Anyway, I dried the oil off and cut up those tasty devils in my salads. Then I packed LOTS of different veggies into my salad. It would look like a salad for a family of four! Hoo boy! I used to put some tahini in my vinaigrette too, but don't any more. It just takes time to adjust.

I started walking as exercise (which changes your metabolism and helps mental attitude). I started on short distances and just made it a bit longer every day. Don't discount the importance of moving. Find something you enjoy doing and do it.

Somehow, I found myself eating less and less nuts and seeds. I still eat a lot of salad and fruit, though!

Good luck!

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: August 30, 2010 09:34PM

Some fruit is more filling than others. Try making a BIG smoothie with lots of bananas in it. 3-5 bananas with some berries ( Iam currently using blackcurrants out of my garden and blackberries which I am harvesting from the hedgerows). Add water to taste.

Well done - it sounds like you are doing really well

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: August 31, 2010 01:15AM

When I first went raw, I was hungry all the time. So it was necessary for me to have many meals (5 to 6) during the day to feel OK. What really helps is to eat meals of a single fruit, as when you are eating that many meals, you don't want the digestion of the previous meal to interfere with the current meal.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: August 31, 2010 08:29AM

I agree with Prana up to a point but when you are starting your raw journey it can be very difficult to mono eat. It's totally different to what you are used to and sometimes rather unappealing. I also think that many people have more robust systems that can cope with a good old mixture smiling smiley

Posted by: reina80 ()
Date: August 31, 2010 12:52PM

I passed the 3 week mark yesterday and am just starting to feel my hunger wane slightly. I am allowing myself to eat as much as I want when I want and I am still losing 2 pounds a week and feeling the benefits. I too am about 75% raw I would say - I add a little quinoa and cooked summer squash to my diet (I am still breastfeeding my little one so not trying to detox or get too extreme). I would say as we transition (which I consider to be about a month's time but everyone varies) - let yourself eat! I am intaking about 1600 cal a day average and as I said - still losing weight and feeling good. So, eat! (Just my opinion)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables