Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Wondering if this will work when still cooking for rest of family.
Posted by: PatchMomma ()
Date: August 31, 2010 09:24PM

I'm new here and getting ready to hop on this party train.

My biggest worry is this: my husband is willing to go at it a little at a time, say adding green smoothies and then seeing where that leads, which I think is great. He's reading about living foods/eating raw and is supportive. But, I'm an all or nothing girl and I worry about the hassle of having to cook for him and our son and then preparing/maintaining my own diet as well.

Anyone else have success in this type of situation? Or any tips?

Holly
Georgia, USA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wondering if this will work when still cooking for rest of family.
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: August 31, 2010 09:51PM

I get stuff out of the freezer for my partner and sometimes do a bit of prep for him but pretty much he makes his own grub for him and my son. I cook for my son if his Dad is away but only fish - I won't handle meat and dairy. I do all the shopping and buy the things that he wants so I'm helpful in that regard. My son wants to be vegan (but is a bit fussy ) so of course I will cook him lovely vegan meals that they both enjoy - I find those very tempting myself though.

My partner occasionally shares a fruit smoothie or asks for a salad with his meal but I let him get on with what he wants to do. We very, very rarely eat the same things.

I'm probably different to most of the women here though in that I feel no need to cook for him. Like I say I buy the stuff and let him get on with what ever he wants to make. It suits us - although I end up doing more flipping washing up than I ever create!!!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2010 09:53PM by flipperjan.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: August 31, 2010 11:27PM

It's great that your husband is reading about living foods/eating raw and is supportive, and is also willing to try smoothies & take steps towards raw. I feel if he is content to do it at that pace, so be it.

I am like you - all or nothing. So, I prepare all my meals, and my wife takes care of her meals & our son's meals. I also share what I prepare with them. They are not ready to go high raw or all raw, so that is how we do it.

I am not really tempted by any of the cooked foods; I have been raw for almost two years, and I am actually repelled by the smell of cooked foods at this point.

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: August 31, 2010 11:35PM

For his lunches, I make a casserole for my husband that lasts for several days. Fortunately, he doesn't mind that. It's just reheat and eat. If I make a salad for lunch, I make a big salad for myself and a smaller version for him as a side salad.

Now, most nights he wants a salad as his dinner meal. However, I also make other cooked meals for him now and then. Often it's a soup with lots of veggies, using up ones I haven't eaten before it's time to toss them out.

Although I give him some smoothie and samples of other things I make, I see that he's never going to give up cooked foods entirely (or even mostly). However, I am proud of him for changing as much as he has.

He makes his own breakfast and he would prepare his other meals if I insisted, but I enjoy making things for him that he loves. (Besides, he truly is a terrible cook, and I have pity on him!)

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: reina80 ()
Date: September 01, 2010 01:58PM

I still cook for my husband and son. I make them healthy cooked non-veg entrees and usually also try to make ones that will stretch a couple days so I only need to cook about 3 nights a week. My husband loves what I'm doing and is fully supportive and that is all I need from him - I don't need him to go raw. He is really healthy as it is and I am not dogmatic about things - his diet works for him and mine works for me. My son loves my green smoothies and both of them are ecstatic about the amount of produce in the house so its a win-win all the way around. However, we don't keep junk food in the house either - I am very clear about that.

I only find myself tempted if I am not looking forward to what I am eating, if that makes any sense. If I have something just as wonderful (but different) to eat, I don't even give a second thought to what they are eating or what I am cooking for them. That means I sometimes have to be creative and most importantly always have to be prepared or I could easily find myself getting lazy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2010 01:59PM by reina80.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: September 01, 2010 03:18PM

I know many raw fooders who do fine still having to cook for there family but for some it can be a major temptation, so do plan your own daily food well or you might be more tempted to just eat some of the cooked food yourself.

Good to hear your partner is willing to give raw a shotsmiling smiley.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: September 02, 2010 10:10AM

it can really help if maybe with every cooked meal you make, you make sure at least half of it is raw, might be a tad bit more work to start out with, but over time it can be increased, till eventually they prefer raw, Ive got my dad at 50% raw now without him even realizing it, and he was a meat and potatoes only kinda guy,lol... it takes some creativity and planning, but it works, your family seem allot more open to the idea, so should be easier for you to start them out higher raw than I was able to...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 02, 2010 10:57AM

<<Ive got my dad at 50% raw now without him even realizing it, and he was a meat and potatoes only kinda guy,lol>

dang..that's pure genius! grinning smiley
improvement is a wonderful thing

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: September 04, 2010 01:09AM

yeah, im an evil genius when it comes to culinary manipulation, today my father, tomorrow, THE WORLD!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables