Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Becoming a raw vegan...
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 03, 2010 06:48AM

I've been a vegetarian for 5 years and a vegan for 3 and I really want to become a raw vegan.

I mainly eat raw fruits and veggies anyway but I was wondering what exactly raw vegans DON'T eat. Obviously, they don't eat cooked food so I'm assuming that means no steamed or grilled veggies. But what about almond milk and tea?

Also, what are the benefits of buying a dehydrater?

I don't plan to eat anything raw that's not not fruits, veggies, sprouts, and nuts. So no fancy raw vegan chocolate cake or anything. So do I really need a dehydrater?

Sorry for all the questions. I feel like such a n00b.
Thanks. (:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Becoming a raw vegan...
Posted by: Nubster ()
Date: September 03, 2010 08:02AM

You can make raw almond milk if you get raw almonds. But be careful because if you want to be super strict you have to know that most almonds marked raw are not really because they are usually pasteurized by heat or chemical so you need to really check for true rawness. But if you are not super worried about it and many aren't, then as long as they are not roasted you can still make "raw" milk from them.

Tea should be the same. If you can get sun dried tea leaves and brew your tea in water that is not more then 118 degrees it would still be raw tea.

A food dehydrator allows you to make dehydrated foods of course, but also things like bread, crackers and other items that may normally be baked or cooked. It gives you the ability to maintain low temps of under 118 degrees to keep things raw and no, you don't need one. I am not 100% raw but I am high raw (3 months now) and I have yet to find a time where I was like...boy...I wish I had a dehydrator. Personally I would put the money towards a high-end blender before I would a dehydrator.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: September 03, 2010 08:34AM

Yep, high-end blender is a much more useful tool than a dehydrator. You can make heaps with that, smoothies, soups, cakes, sauces, dips, soups. Dehydrator can be great fun at the beginning, but in the end our bodies much prefer fresh foods over the dehydrated foods.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: September 03, 2010 03:26PM

if you can find a dehydrator cheep or free, i would try that first as you probably find you dont use it nearly as much as you might think you will smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: DaisyHair ()
Date: September 03, 2010 08:05PM

I am very new (3 weeks in -High Raw) but I am doing well.
I wanted to comment that I know many raw foodist don't use a dehydrator or feel a need for it but having mine has really helped my transition.

I find myself making wraps (for huge veggie sandwiches) and cracker bread and recently used it to make marinated portobello steaks that were so good I could hardly believe it.

I hope that as I progress I won't need to use it as often and that my body won't crave such condensed food but it's been a part of my 3 weeks so far and I don't know that I could have done it without it.

Just wanted to share my experience.

Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: September 09, 2010 10:20AM

Just bypass the transition food if you want quicker results. Read 80/10/10 by Dr Doug Graham and load up on your fav sweet fruit calories and keep your fat intake way way low.

Drink your water, get lots of sleep, tap into your life purpose and go like hell. smiling smiley

Posted by: Swayze ()
Date: September 09, 2010 12:40PM

Not all raw foodists eat the same foods. You will find many recipes online and in books containing ingredients like cacao, oil, salt, spices, etc. yet there are many of us raw vegans who do not consume these foods.

Personally, I stick to a low fat, high fruit raw vegan diet as opposed to the higher fat, vegetable-focused, mainstream raw food diet. smiling smiley

Swayze
[www.fitonraw.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables