Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

healthy RAW high fat vs high sugar diet
Posted by: paulieGB ()
Date: September 06, 2010 05:14PM

Hi,

Whats people opinions on HEALTHY eating regarding a RAW high fruit (sugar) diet and a RAW high fat diet.
Is a high fat diet with fats coming from avocado's and sprouted seeds very healthy ?
Is a high fruit diet with all the sugar really healthy ?

Does anyone eat a high fat raw vegan diet, with no sweet fruit ?

Share with me your experiences please =

Thanks,
Paul

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: healthy RAW high fat vs high sugar diet
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: September 06, 2010 07:49PM

I eat lots of fruit, a moderate quantity of greens, and a moderate quantity of seeds/nuts/avos.

For me, I think high fruit is fine, as long as foods from the other groups are included as well, and requirements for essential nutrients are met - or at least close. Seems to work well for me, since I'm staying raw and feeling good.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: September 06, 2010 08:01PM

suncloud Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I eat lots of fruit, a moderate quantity of
> greens, and a moderate quantity of
> seeds/nuts/avos.
>
> For me, I think high fruit is fine, as long as
> foods from the other groups are included as well,
> and requirements for essential nutrients are met -
> or at least close. Seems to work well for me,
> since I'm staying raw and feeling good.

Im like you suncloud, i prefer a varied diet not loads of one macronutrient but a variety of everything. I love my fruit, vegetables aswell my seeds and some nuts. Then other bits and bobs on top such as seaweed for my iodine which is hard to get. Then i have everything pretty much coveredsmiling smiley.

Date: September 06, 2010 08:13PM

Thanks for the reply's smiling smiley
I think most people are better eating a varied diet
I'm not sure if most people need to eat lots of fruit., how do you do that anyway, eat fruits in the morning and greens and seeds in the evening ?

Paul

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: September 06, 2010 09:16PM

Powerlifer, yes definitely, seaweed too. I'm just starting to find out how important it is (at least for me).

Paulie, I usually eat lots of fruit in the AM, with 1 or 2 brazilnuts. I eat my greens (including seaweed) and usually a couple of carrots in the afternoon, often with some kind of seed, and continue having fruit plus some nuts/seeds as I feel like it through the day. Some fruits don't feel right to me immediately after eating greens: like apples, bananas or grapes for instance. I have to wait awhile after greens for those. Oranges, papayas, or cucumbers feel very good right after greens. I don't have trouble combining nuts or seeds with anything, as long as I don't eat too many of course. I usually don't eat anything after dark.

I'm very sensitive to greens, so I eat them on average, about every other day - even though I really like them. I think maybe that's just me though (I'm working on it), so I wouldn't advise it to others.

Exercise, of course, is always important too!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2010 09:26PM by suncloud.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: September 06, 2010 10:54PM

Paul,

How much fat in the diet do you consider to be a healthy high fat diet? For example, the standard transition raw diet is often more than 60% fat, as a percentage of calories consumed. The Standard American Diet, which I consider a very high fat diet, is 40% fat as a percentage of calories.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: September 07, 2010 12:54AM

My experience was starting out high-fat in the first year of raw, then evolving to fruit-based diet, with the consumption of overts gradually decreasing. All this happened completely spontaneously and effortlessly, by following my body instincts to which I became more and more sensitive in my journey. I do not like high-fat anymore, but I love sweet juicy fruit, and so I follow these instincts. This feels really really good on many levels. I feel very hydrated, have a better singing voice, nicer skin, more energy for athleticism. There is a difference between how one feels on cooked and on raw. To me there is also a difference how one feels without and with lots of juicy fruit.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: September 09, 2010 09:38AM

Whats better as a long term approach? You cant even compare high fat to high fruit. High fat is so dangerous, just look at 99% of the crew that try it, they end up eating animal products and or doing lots of stimulants to try and function aka cacao, magic mushrooms, coffee, green tea etc.

My housemate died last year, she was eating a high fat, raw animal, fruit phobic diet. Sure she ate a bit of fruit but it was not much compared to what is required.

Just have to ask what your goals are. If its super health and fitness, just look at all the zealots in the raw scene kick'n ass whilst being drug free.

If you want to be vague, anemic, emaciated and binge prone, then yeah, stay away from fruit meals. smiling smiley

Read 80/10/10 by Dr Douglas Graham. He has more muscle than any raw food author. He has eaten more fruits and veg than anyone on earth in the last 30 years. He is a family man and doesnt sell or tell BS.

Id rather eat a Dr McDougall stye low fat, high carb cooked vegan diet than blow my health apart on crackao and chia pudding for breakfast with kale chips and cashew butter for lunch and half a green apple with E3 live for dinner. sad smiley

Date: September 09, 2010 01:11PM

Hey,

After thinking logically about this, i do think that low fat is going to be healthier.
And i have been eating lots of fruit with just 1 avocado a day for the last 2 days and i do feel better with more fruits.

I think i'm gonna just eat when i feel like it exercise a fair bit and not worry about sweet fruits and fats. smiling smiley

Thanks very much for the reply's everyone, very helpful.

Paul

Posted by: omega-3 ()
Date: September 09, 2010 02:53PM

Good choice, Paul.
I was eating mostly veggies and nuts and not a lot of fruit for a long time, and I've since switched over to mostly fruit, and it's *so much* better. Lighter, happier, more spiritually in tune.

Btw, Durianrider, your inclusion of magic mushrooms in your list of negative substances is bizarre. It's quite exactly the opposite, my friend. You shant conflate mushrooms with coffee, as they couldn't be more opposed. Otherwise, your stuff is pretty right on.

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: September 09, 2010 08:05PM

durianrider,

You wrote: "My housemate died last year, she was eating a high fat, raw animal, fruit phobic diet. Sure she ate a bit of fruit but it was not much compared to what is required."

I am sorry for her and for you. That is horrible and very sad. Are you saying her death was caused by a diet high in fat and raw meat? Using her unfortunate death as an example doesn't answer the original question. Besides, people on this site are vegan, so although some may eat quite a bit of fat from nuts and avocados, a diet with animal products is not the issue here. No one here promotes a high meat diet.

Actually, I think there is a problem comparing "healthy RAW high fat vs high sugar diet" in the form of a forced choice question because it does not have to be one extreme or the other. There is also a middle ground, yes? What about a diet with some fat and lots of fruit (i.e., a lot of fruit, a lot of leafy greens, a variety of veggies, some nuts and seeds, and an occasional avocado)?

My favorite raw vegan

Date: September 09, 2010 08:42PM

I dont mean to be funny durian as things like your suggesting are serious.

But so many of your housemates have died, the one who only ate greens, the one who only ate fats, the one who died of dehydration whilst fasting, the one who died whilst raw paleo. Just seems abit unbelieveable to me im sorry, again this isnt meant to be forward but 4 deaths in the same household seems abit strange.

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: September 10, 2010 01:16AM

DR, are you really claiming that four of your housemates have died from extreme raw diets?

My favorite raw vegan

Date: September 10, 2010 01:22AM

Only 1 housemate has died. Her name was Vee. Last year. I was in Thailand at the time.

Powerlifer, you need some more carbs, you cant pay attention to what I have said a zillion times.

Peace.

Date: September 10, 2010 01:28AM

omega-3 Wrote:
> Good choice, Paul.
> I was eating mostly veggies and nuts and not a lot
> of fruit for a long time, and I've since switched
> over to mostly fruit, and it's *so much* better.
> Lighter, happier, more spiritually in tune.
>
> Btw, Durianrider, your inclusion of magic
> mushrooms in your list of negative substances is
> bizarre. It's quite exactly the opposite, my
> friend. You shant conflate mushrooms with coffee,
> as they couldn't be more opposed. Otherwise, your
> stuff is pretty right on.

Ive done my fair share of 'natural' drugs and its my personal conclusion that these toxic drugs, lsd, magic mushrooms, bongs, ayahuasca, peyote etc just knock us back a few notches. If we are eating 811 style raw vegan and in touch with our life purpose, we simply have no need or desire for drugs like these no more.

Thats coming from someone that has lived both sides of the fence. smiling smiley

Date: September 10, 2010 09:02AM

durianrider Wrote:
> Only 1 housemate has died. Her name was Vee. Last
> year. I was in Thailand at the time.
>
> Powerlifer, you need some more carbs, you cant pay
> attention to what I have said a zillion times.
>
> Peace.

Im only saying what ive seen written a quick google search shows you saying you had one died of renal failure from fasting, you had another who died from food poisoning from raw meat etc, infact a thread comes up with people questioning the same thing i am just now.

Anyway im very sorry to hear if true, just seems whacky if your making it up though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2010 09:15AM by powerlifer.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: September 10, 2010 11:51AM

Power, I think one is a "housemate," and the others he has referred to as "lads" or "mates," which would mean acquaintance/friend, but maybe you thought "mate" was a "housemate" each time. but that's just going from memory; I haven't read about it in a while.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: September 12, 2010 03:28AM

Maybe I will rephrase in the future and not say "low-fat, high-fruit" because that is only an adjective derived when comparing to people's high-fat, low-fruit lifestyles.

I can say "just right fruit, just right fat for me."

Posted by: BackAgain ()
Date: September 12, 2010 03:52AM

Any thoughts on ketosis if using raw/vegan/non animal fats? I know some people on another forum were using fat while fasting to keep themselves in ketosis and lose more weight.

Posted by: DaisyHair ()
Date: September 12, 2010 05:03PM

This is an interesting thread for me right to read right now, I am sure as Prana mentioned I am prob. eating pretty high fat in this transition period. Lots of raw nuts and seed/veggie crackers (dehydrator) and lots of gauc and some raw cacao stuff.

I do hope to move into less fat and think over the last few days I am craving more fruit (for longer in the day) and less nuts. Hopefully my body will naturally bring on this change as I progress like rawgosia spoke of.

I think for me since I switched from a very fatty, meaty (low carb - Atkins) diet with lots of cheese and meat and heavy cream to a fatty raw diet I may be more ok with the high fat for now than maybe someone who was Vegan to start out? I wonder.

I can sure tell you it's a serious change and my body is NOT feeling great the last few days.. major headache and sinus yuck each night - I just feel REALLY bad but I am welcoming it

So I guess in the long run I want to shoot for high fruit low fat.

Date: September 13, 2010 11:31AM

Peoples death's are not something to make up.

Food poisoning from raw animal products was the motivation for the fast. Dehydration the reason for hospitalisation and life support. Renal failure was the direct cause of death whilst in hospital.

Vee was my first and only raw food friend that has died. There has been other deaths in Australia and suicides but not from anyone that I personally knew. They were friends of friends. All were fruit phobic and believed in breatharianism.

I have had personal friends end up in mental wards from not eating enough fruit/carbs and trying to run on fat.

Hope that clears up any mis understanding from quick google searches.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables