Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Eating raw beans?
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: September 13, 2010 11:04PM

I have been using raw green beans & other varieties in juices & smoothies. I was recently perusing a website that says not to use them raw, especially Lima beans.

"Raw beans are poisonous because they contain prussic (hydrocyanic) acid, which is rendered not dangerous only by cooking. It was only in 1957 that prussic acid protein was discovered in green beans.

A few hours after eating raw beans or bean seeds, some individuals become sick from low blood pressure, vomiting, stomach ache, circulation problems,

convulsions, or heart palpitations. These poison symptoms are possible with all beans. When eaten raw, lima beans produce the poison cyanide."

Guess I should have done the research first; I have been using beans raw for a long time & I never have experienced any of the poison symptoms...

Your thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Eating raw beans?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 13, 2010 11:07PM

Some poisons are accumulative... I wouldn't eat raw beans myself. Do you like the way they taste or something? Was it just a plant based source of protein? I was never attracted to them flavour-wise myself.

Date: September 13, 2010 11:29PM

Not a matter of taste/flavour, but rather another source of nutrients. I try to use every green/vegetable/fruit that is available to me for the wide variety of nutrients that each plant supplies.

It may be an accumulative poison, I haven't done enough reading on the subject yet...

Date: September 14, 2010 04:12PM

...raw after being soaked...

Date: September 14, 2010 07:51PM

I once researched soya beans (a noxious plant) from academic sources, and found the poison was neutralised by either cooking or soaking.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: September 14, 2010 09:29PM

juicerkatz - do you have to have such a lot of writing and a big picture on the end of every post? smiling smiley

Date: September 14, 2010 09:32PM

flipperjan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> juicerkatz - do you have to have such a lot of
> writing and a big picture on the end of every
> post? smiling smiley

lol, I guess not. That is my sig. I guess I will remove it as per your request... grinning smiley

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 14, 2010 10:08PM

jk,

Maybe you are building up a tolerance for the toxins concidentally, like a super spy of the old days? Green bean smoothie, please, shaken, not stirred smiling smiley

Date: September 14, 2010 10:21PM

Geo, neutralized by soaking? For how long I wonder...

You can choose to add your signature or not, it's the box with the green check mark right over the post window you type in. Here, I won't add mine this time.

Posted by: The Fruit Faery ()
Date: September 14, 2010 10:58PM

Hi juicerkatz

I juiced some runner beans once with some other veggies. I had terrible stomach pains within about 10 mins. It made me quite sick. I posted a thread about it on this site a couple of years ago.
I eat the raw french beans that I grow myself in salads.

Date: September 14, 2010 11:19PM

Tam -

Ha ha - yes, that's probably it. Whatever doesn't kill me can only make me stronger! grinning smiley

Coco -

there are a few wild edibles that are neutralized by soaking in several changes of water. I never bother with it, too much hassle. I would rather just avoid them.

Fruit Faery -

That sounds pretty horrible! BTW, did you know that activated carbon (powder) is what folks normally use to flush toxins like that? I have AC on hand, it is part of my emergency preparedness items...

Date: September 15, 2010 11:35AM

Hey Coco
I don't remember for how long to soak, but it involved changing the water a couple of times.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables