Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Choosing your diet
Posted by: rooneyandmuldoon ()
Date: September 02, 2006 02:29AM

I read somewhere around here that you need to choose between either a high fat/low glycemic diet or a high glycemic/low fat diet. But that was all that was said. Can someone comment a little more about this? I want a high glycemic/high fat diet!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Choosing your diet
Posted by: innervegetable ()
Date: September 02, 2006 03:47AM

This is something that is well established in the scientific community. You likely read it on Frederic Patenuade's site, or here, via Fred, Graham, or Bryan maybe. This is a formula I have proved to be true for myself as well.

The main catagories that work are:
-high carb/low fat or
-high fat/low carb or

also some people need:
-high protien
and some people need:
-high carb

however: "High Fat/High Carb = disaster"

Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: September 02, 2006 03:32PM

I don't think it was Fred. He talks about the way to succeed on this diet is high fruit diet and low fat.

Date: September 02, 2006 08:17PM

Fred says lowfat works for him, but he also says you must choose between either a highfat-low carb diet or a lowfat-high carb diet and stick with whatever choice you make.

"HIGH FAT+HIGH SUGAR=DISASTER" -Fred

Date: September 02, 2006 11:09PM

Why is this? Are there any facts, research?

Date: September 03, 2006 12:30AM

The confusion, (excerbs from The Two Sides of the Raw Food Movement)

...there's the Hippocrates program, which proposes a diet consisting mainly of sprouts, vegetables and very little fruit.

There's the Rainbow Green Diet, which eliminates fruit for a while and focuses on vegetables, seaweeds, spirulina and other “green” foods.

Then there are those who promote a diet that includes lots of “super-foods” such as coconut oil, cacao beans, maca powder, and other such exotic ingredients.

We also have the instinctive eating movement that recommends eating raw foods in their natural state (no juicing, blending, mixing, etc.), but also often include raw meat and fish in the fare.

Some raw-foodists eat raw dairy, insisting that we need some animal foods in our diet in order to thrive.

Then there are those who recommend a fruit-based diet, and a rarer few who recommend an all-fruit diet.

There's natural hygiene, which insists on eating foods in their natural state and avoiding strong irritants such as garlic, hot peppers, spices and salt.

Then, of course, there are those who take no position at all and just recommend that people find out “what works for them.”

---------------

Research

We have the medical model that's promoted through most “research” we hear about in newspapers, popular magazines and fitness centers. This model usually recommends a high-fat, high-protein diet and calorie reduction, or a variation on that theme.

Then we have the “alternative” model, which is promoted by various doctors and serious researchers and is backed up by an extensive amount of data. This model recommends a plant-based, low-fat vegetarian diet.

Challengers to the medical model for diet and weight loss have always recommended a low-fat diet...

Proponents of the low-fat diet include Dr. Dean Ornish, Dr. McDougall [www.drmcdougall.com], T. Colin Campbell who conducted The China Study : the most comprehensive nutrition study ever conducted... also in lowfat camp: Dr. Klaper, Dr. Neal Barnard, Dr. Joel Fuhrman, and many others.

FOCUS ON RAW

In the raw-food movement, it may seem from the outside that there are many different options available, and this all seems very confusing to the newcomer.

A closer look at the different raw-food diets promoted, however, reveals that there are basically 2 different options presented, with others that find themselves in-between.

1- *The high-fat, raw diet*. This approach generally promotes eating a vegetable based diet. Although the promoters of this diet do not like to say it, it is also a very high-fat diet.

2- *The fruit-based, low-fat diet*. This approach recognizes the problems of eating large quantities of fat, even though this fat may come from natural sources such as avocados, nuts, seeds, etc. Instead of making fat the main source of calories, this approach recommends fruit as being the main source of calories.

In a raw-food diet the foods that provide calories are basically limited to two options: fruit or fat.

Why is that?

The fact is, that fruit is the only real source of carbohydrates in the raw diet. Complex sugars such as bread, pasta, potatoes, etc., are generally avoided. Although some vegetables contain carbohydrates, they cannot be considered to be a significant source of them. They are so low in calories that it would be impossible to eat enough of them to meet our caloric needs. To get 2000 calories, you would need to eat about 50 heads of lettuce, or over 75 raw carrots. It simply isn't gonna happen.

The alternative is to eat fatty foods such as avocados, olive oil, nuts and seeds. When a raw-food person says that he doesn't recommend eating a lot of fruit, then by default, it means that he recommends a high-fat diet. There is simply no other way around it!

WHICH SIDE ARE YOU ON?

Once you understand that all these endless dietary approaches can really be filtered down into just two, you have to decide where you stand.

Which raw diet are you going to follow? The high-fat diet, or the high-fruit diet?

In my experience, trying to find middle-ground has been a frustrating endeavor. The reasons why are a little scientific. Let me explain:

On a high-fat diet, insulin sensitivity is greatly reduced, meaning that simple sugars do not arrive to their destination (the cells) as rapidly. When a person on a high-fat diet eats a lot of fruit (sugar), they often get symptoms of hypoglycemia, candida, concentration problems and more.

The equation is: high-fat diet + fruit = disaster.

-excerbs from Fred Patenaude

Date: September 03, 2006 01:24AM

I'm still a little confused, but your response has really helped clarify alot. i plan to read it again later to more fully absorb what you have explained.

I tend to want to do what seems "natural." I suppose that would mean more fruits and less fats, such as what exists in nature. I'll have to think about it. Thank you so much! I do love my avocadoes and coconut oil. (I just ordered your book yesterday, by the way.)

Date: September 03, 2006 01:54AM

for the record I am not fred. I just felt his input would be appropriate here.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables