Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Please help: ¿How do I reduce iron intake?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 02, 2010 08:40AM

Hello raw-fooders! I am a spanish woman 50 years old and happily eating raw now for half a year. I feel much better than before and don't want never to go back to my eating habbits from before. I really enjoy that finally I could replace the coffee and milk in the morning, for a nice green juice.

But... I did a bloodtest and the doctor told me that my iron level, and also bilirubbin level, are much much higher than the maximum levels 'allowed'. I am on a long waiting list (very normal in Spain) for my case to be studied better, but in the meantime I would like to do something about it myself.

Could anyone help me out in some way?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Please help: ¿How do I reduce iron intake?
Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: October 02, 2010 09:14AM

Although I don't think I can help on his one, just checking...when you say 'raw', are you eating raw vegan?

And are you taking supplementation of any kind? Any herbal preparations?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2010 09:15AM by debbietook.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: October 02, 2010 03:12PM

Hello, anahita! I, too, am wondering whether you are eating a raw plant-based diet, as this should not cause excess iron/bilirubin build-up. Unless there is a congenital disorder, the body does not absorb and store excess non-heme[bloodless]iron from plants; in the case of heme iron, as from animal tissue, toxic amounts can be acquired and there is no limiting mechanism in humans, except blood loss, of course. In any case, please have a full evaluation done of your liver and blood. I hope it is nothing serious, and that you experience great health in the future smiling smiley

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: October 02, 2010 03:19PM

Theres quite a few reasons that you can have elevated levels of both, hopefully you get your appointment soon to rule out the causes and hopefully its nothing serioussmiling smiley.

As tamukha says plant iron non-heme doesnt store excess plus its poorly absorbed so even if she was taking high iron herbs it wouldnt make much of a difference.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: October 02, 2010 05:23PM

I have read on curezone.com at the Iodine Supplementation Forum that someone was in a study for people with too much iron and that he used to have to give blood at times to decrease his level of iron.

But in the study they found that while he was taking Iodine his iron levels went down that he didn't have to give the blood like before. You would have to read his info. on curezone for the details or find the thread and get his email and email him for more info.

Love,
Prism

Date: October 02, 2010 06:27PM

Thanks so much for your answers.
To answer you...:

Yes debbietook, I am a raw vegan and don't take supplements.

And yes, Tamukha and powerlifer, I don't eat meat so am only affected by the 'non-heme iron' which seems should not be a cause of concern. At least I feel relieved already, knowing I don't have to change the food intake!

Thanks Prism, I will investigate about the iodine...

10x a lot all of you!
Anahita

Posted by: mindy ()
Date: October 03, 2010 04:19PM

Are you eating a lot of cilantro?

My iron levels were higher than "allowed" while I was eating a lot of cilantro. Cilantro is a known heavy metal chelator, so I thought it might be the cause. When I stopped eating cilantro my iron levels were normal again.

I am a 27-year vegetarian and a female who regularly menstruates, so it didn't make sense that I would have a problem with too much iron. In fact my ferritin levels are very low, at the low end of the "allowed" range. Ferritin tests indicate how much iron is stored in your tissues. Regular iron tests just tell how much iron is in your blood. I currently supplement iron in an effort to get my ferritin levels to the right levels.

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: October 04, 2010 03:25AM

I know someone who has hemochromotosis which is a common genetic condition causing him to retain iron. He became a regular blood donor and maintains normal ferretin levels that way. Simple, easy and a great way to do a good deed at the same time.

My favorite raw vegan

Date: October 04, 2010 01:15PM

Thanks mindy to reply... no, cilantro I only eat ocasionaly.

and thanks, Trive, I will look into that option too, of becoming a donor.
I think I'll have to wait though for more precise diagnostics and what the doctor's conclusions and suggestions will be.

I will keep you all informed!

greetings!
anahita

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables