Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

are dates really raw??
Posted by: amanda1382903 ()
Date: September 04, 2006 04:11AM

I recently read that most store bought dried goods like raisins are not actually raw, they are heat treated. I wonder if anyone knows if dates fall under this category....are dats you get, say, at a farmers market exactly what came off the plant? or are dates a dried fruit?? thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: are dates really raw??
Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: September 04, 2006 09:56AM

As I said in the dried fruit thread, I know the dates I buy are raw because there is sometimes lave of flys/months in them which is still alive and hatches, and when I open the box they fly out...

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: September 04, 2006 11:20AM

I cannot speak for store bought dates in a box. But generally dates are not dried. They come off the trees as one typically eats them, chewy & moist on the inside. If they are not chewy and moist they may be dried. I've seen the trail mixes with some cyclindrical date that were obviously dried but they aren't in their natural shape, either.

In Phoenix, there are specific trees that are harvested for their dates. I've even eaten some plucked right off the tree.

I've bought organic honey dates from Jaffe Bros. [www.organicfruitsandnuts.com] The dates were so sweet and delectable.

Therese

Posted by: uti ()
Date: September 05, 2006 09:14AM

To answer Amanda's question directly. Dates can beither Raw, meaning never heated over 118 deg F, Sundried at low temps or Dried in high temp dehydrators, If you buy fresh raw organic dates from the advertizers in Raw magazines or websites you get the opportunity to do business direct from grower to consumer. If you aren't sure their dates are truly raw ask them questions.

Raw Date season in California and southern Arizona is just starting and goes until the dates run out. My personal supplier starts having less and less variety in late winter and the dates have naturally dried out some. A Raw Fooder can enjoy many months of Raw dates.

A freshly ripe date is usually a juicy fruit clustered on a long stalk. My supplier sells these and one simply waits for them to darken and reach the consistancy of soft caramel or they fall free of the stalk, before having an estatic experience.

Next, dates ship in "wet packs" because their moisture content is to high to prevent damage by boxing them in bulk boxes. My supplier uses paper square cups about 1 pint in content lined with parchment to catch the sweet goo running out of any date.

After the moisture level has dropped to the level where the fruits are strong enough to keep their shape on the bottom of the bulk shipping box they can be purchased in larger box quanities. My supplier uses 15 pound content flat boxes.

Fresh raw dates are best refrigerated to prevent mold and fungus from taking hold on their sugary skins.

Fresh Raw Dates are a big part of my cool/damp weather diet.

Non Raw dates can be found in packages and in bulk sections year round in the US. They probably have been dried to a very low moisture content with higher heat than 118 degrees F to make them optimum for longer non refrigerated storage. When its time to ship them they are reconstituted by steaming which plumps them up and makes the skins shiny on the varieties I commonly see: Barhi, Medjoul, Black Sphinx, and Deglet Noir. I've never witnessed this process and my information is second hand.

I have never heard of sun dried dates in the US, but my experience is limited. They were a mainstay survival food for Middle Eastern and North African desert travelers for thousands of years. Light weight, no cooking needed, easy to store, high calorie to weight ratio and only required that the consumer drink enough water to avoid any digestive difficulty. With adequate water for man and camels and a few pounds of dates a man had an extremely long traveling range across barren desert with his cargo.

I hope I've encouraged you to try something new if you already don't eat Raw Dates.

Posted by: rawmark ()
Date: September 05, 2006 01:01PM

Amanda,

Depends on the source. There's a store out in Seattle that sells a large variety of dates but you have to buy them when their in season, which is coming up in a month or so. I just tried to get to their website but it doesn't appear to be working so I'm going to give them a call. I know they're a small farm and they are called The Date People. However, don't to a search because all you will come up with is dating websites for singles.

Peace,

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables