Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Low blood sugar reaction
Posted by: pippin07 ()
Date: October 05, 2010 12:51AM

Hi All,

I fell off the raw wagon about a year ago and am trying to get back for about a week now.

Today I experienced a plunged in my blood sugar about 4-5 hours after my banana/date/maca smoothie. My blood sugar went down to 67; not a pleasant experience.

I had watermelon for breakfast & had some cacao nibs mid morning. I have been using the nibs to help me through my coffee withdrawal.

Any ideas why this would happened? I am not diabetic.

Thanks in advance!
Denise

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Low blood sugar reaction
Posted by: CoeyCoey ()
Date: October 05, 2010 01:08AM

Hi Denise,

My best guess is that when blended up the fruit, you ripped apart all the fiber and caused the fructose to be released. When you eat it, your blood sugar spikes quickly, then plunges.

I have the same issue with smoothies. I love them, and they give me a great rush before a workout, but I can crash afterwards.

Posted by: BackAgain ()
Date: October 05, 2010 01:20AM

I think it's the dates and maca and then using caco nibbs. It's like the raw version of candy.

Also - Have you looked into Yerba Mate to help get off of coffee? It's different kind of caffeine. You don't crash with it and you don't get jittery or have a high burst of energy that makes you want to run on a tredmil.. Just a thought. Don't know if you were using it for energy or just one of those people addicted to the taste of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2010 01:22AM by BackAgain.

Posted by: pippin07 ()
Date: October 05, 2010 01:23AM

HI CoeyCoey,

Interesting. Come to think of it I had whole bananas and dates for lunch a couple of days ago and no problems whatsosever.
Thanks! I will watch for this in the future.

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: October 05, 2010 03:39AM

I 2nd the motion about Yerba Mate. It is very nice.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: October 05, 2010 08:49AM

It wont be any problem with the maca, maca supports the adrenals and inturn blood sugar so it wont be that.

yerba mate is still a CNS stimulant so id try stay away from it and use adaptogenic herbs if you want the energy boost without depleting your adrenal glands.

Did the crash happen straight after, if so sounds like reactive hypoglycemia which is a result of a chromium deficiency.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: October 05, 2010 03:51PM

powerlifer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It wont be any problem with the maca, maca
> supports the adrenals and inturn blood sugar so it
> wont be that.
>
> yerba mate is still a CNS stimulant so id try stay
> away from it and use adaptogenic herbs if you want
> the energy boost without depleting your adrenal
> glands.
>
> Did the crash happen straight after, if so sounds
> like reactive hypoglycemia which is a result of a
> chromium deficiency.

Powerlifer,

You recommended jiaogulan a while back as better adaptogenic herb than maca. I may give it a try!

Paul

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: October 05, 2010 03:54PM

Hey Paul,

Jiaogulan is one of my favorite adaptogenic herbs, it has over 7 times higher sterols than ginseng. Good for energy, heart health due to the sterol content, restoring adrenal glands, immune booster and much more.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables