Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Sunlamp for making vitamin D
Posted by: tropical ()
Date: November 26, 2010 09:28PM

I heard on the radio that taking vitamin D will make your body stop producing vitamin D - I guess that's because it senses that you don't need any more vitamin D.

I'm thinking that natural is always better so using a sunlamp might be better than taking a supplement. (Since I can't take a vacation to the tropics every month).

So if you could buy a sunlamp to use for eposing your skin and making vitamin D, which one would you buy?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2010 09:28PM by tropical.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sunlamp for making vitamin D
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: November 27, 2010 12:35PM

Well natural sunlight is always going to be best, but for most that isnt a great option depending on where you live.

I havent read any studies to suggest supplementing with Vitamin D can cause this although if anyone finds anything do update the thread.

I use a sunlamp now and again myself and its ok but i dont use it that often as overuse can cause skin cancer.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: November 28, 2010 06:39PM

tropical,

Elsewhere here, I've posted about the SunSplash D Lite tanless system, because it appears to be safe and because I am still considering getting one; a word--it is offered only through Dr. Mercola):

[tanningbeds.mercola.com]

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: November 28, 2010 07:59PM

Id never heard of that product i dont follow mercola much these days, he used to have some good information but some of the stuff he posts recently such as the soya information is just aload of misinformation taken at face level.

will look into that though nice one tamukha.

Posted by: RocketShip ()
Date: November 29, 2010 03:39AM

I bought my sunrise clock through this company... they carry a variety of light systems. [www.lighttherapyproducts.com]

Posted by: Ariel55 ()
Date: December 01, 2010 05:39PM

tropical Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I heard on the radio that taking vitamin D will
> make your body stop producing vitamin D - I guess
> that's because it senses that you don't need any
> more vitamin D.
>
> I'm thinking that natural is always better so
> using a sunlamp might be better than taking a
> supplement. (Since I can't take a vacation to the
> tropics every month).
>
> So if you could buy a sunlamp to use for eposing
> your skin and making vitamin D, which one would
> you buy?

I would not be surprised if this is true. I agree the sun is the best form, it gets converted in the kidneys,some people I have met on another forum who have kidney disease and addison's disease had deficiencies in vitamin d despite sunshine

Do you have any more information, such as who said this and what is their expertise or a link to some further information

Date: December 03, 2010 03:37AM

Thanks everyone for the responses. No I don't know who it was who said that, I was listening to internet radio and was just flipping through. But it matches with what I've heard about Vitamin D production and with what I've been reading recently about supplementing reptiles with vitamin D. Vitamin D supplements don't work well with reptiles, so they use lamps.

Probably the most interesting thing I've learned with regards to UVB lamps is that heat has to be present on the skin (both human and reptile) in order for vitamin D synthesis to take place. For this reason, they sometimes sell UVB lamps packaged with a heat lamp and I'm going to have to use a heat lamp too - somehow shinng next to the UVB lamp.

I think I'm going to buy a reptile light. If anyone knows any reason why I shouldn't I'd love to know if there is any reason why this would be a bad idea. It's about $20-30 (and then I have to buy a terranium hood somewhere to supply it with electricity).

This seems to be the best one (it's the German-made, industry standard). Not sure if I should buy a 5.0 or 10.0. I'm vacillating, I think I'm going with the higher output since that seems to be for uses where you are more than 12" away from the light, but then there seems to be problems with that too (with too much UVB ). So I'm going to have to examine this issue more carefully.

[www.zoomed.com]
[www.zoomed.com]

More interesting links:

ZooMed's fact sheet on their lights:
[zoomed.com]
"Vitamin D3 is obtained through diet or UVB exposure. Since most reptile species are unable to utilize dietary vitamin D3, they must have access to UVB. A lack of UVB and vitamin D3 can ultimately result in metabolic bone disease in reptiles, and rickets in humans."

Compares the different UVB reptile lights:
[www.anapsid.org]

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2010 03:41AM by tropical.

Date: December 03, 2010 04:23AM

Looks great.

For a reptile.

Posted by: brome ()
Date: December 03, 2010 04:57AM

Here's an acrylic called Solacryl, transparent to UVB, that would be good for a sunny window or skylight:

[www.spartech.com]

Also here's an article explaining why you should use sunlight:

[www.vitamindcouncil.org]

Date: December 03, 2010 06:04AM

brome Wrote:
> Also here's an article explaining why you should
> use sunlight:
>
> [www.vitamindcouncil.org].
> shtml

I loved this part, since I knew that Vitamin D supplements comes from the lanolin in sheep's wool but it never dawned on me that animals might be licking their fur to get vitamin D:

"Animals Form Cholecalciferol In Their Fur

Fur bearing animals and many birds make cholecalciferol in their fur or feathers since sunlight can not get to their skin. Interestingly, mammals and birds then eat the cholecalciferol by licking their fur (grooming) or rubbing their beaks on their feathers (preening). So, when you take cholecalciferol by mouth, you are doing what a number of other mammals do!"

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 03, 2010 03:14PM

It would never have occurred to me to recommend a reptile light for a human, but this is an exciting development--If it works, keep us posted, tropical!

Posted by: brome ()
Date: December 03, 2010 04:38PM

Window glass will effectively filter out the majority of UVB radiation, but it minimally filters out UVAs.

Why should we care about this? Vitamin D is formed from exposure to UVB rays, whereas UVA radiation actually destroys vitamin D.

Well it is indeed typical of how amazing our bodies are: The UVB/UVA ratio in natural sunlight helps keep your body in balance. See it as protective mechanisms your body has to avoid overdosing on vitamin D when you’re outside. However, when you’re exposed to sunlight through windows - in your office, your home or your car - you get the UVA but virtually none of the beneficial UVB.

Over exposure to UVA can lead to significant health problems, because in addition to destroying vitamin D, it also increases oxidative stress. UVA is one of the primary culprits behind skin cancer, and it increases photo-ageing of the skin (photo-ageing is the ‘nasty’ word for tanning). You can actually get vitamin D without significantly darkening your skin, because the UVB wavelength does not stimulate the melanin pigment to produce a tan.

Of course, when you get tanned from outdoor sun exposure you’re getting both UVA and UVB at the same time, so it’s not a problem. But when you are indoors and expose yourself to sunlight filtered through window glass, you are increasing your risk of a variety of conditions, primarily skin cancer, because the UVAs are effectively destroying your vitamin D levels while you’re getting none of the benefits from UVB. Don’t think for one minute sun bedding will factor these risks out. In fact, when you lie under a UVA sunbed (and most of them emit predominantly UVA radiation with small amounts of UVB radiation compared to the ratio in natural sun radiation) you effectively eliminate the vitamin D in your body in a very short period of time... Not good.

The reptile light sounds good if sunlight is too hard to come by. Sunlight will give you the healthiest ratio of UVA to UVB light.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2010 04:46PM by brome.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: December 03, 2010 08:32PM

Like taking supplements, it seems that we forget the synergistic activity of stuff like obtaining Vitamin D via Sunlight. It's not just the Sun, but the fresh air, the movement of whatever activity you are embarking upon outside. It's the whole enchilada and that's why it's ALL goodsmiling smiley

Date: December 04, 2010 03:09AM

I think the main problem with UVBs is that the eyes shouldn't be exposed to it for too long, so you have to protect your eyes while doing this. Just like these kids, I remember seeing this picture in an old National Geographic of Soviet kids being exposed to a lamp at school and they all have to wear goggles, and I was actually able to dig up an internet copy of that old picture:

[mumumed.com]

[www.anapsid.org]
"Lights producing more than 5% UVB carry warnings on them relating to damage to human eyes. . . . They also go on to say that, "just as you would not stare at the sun, never stare for any length of time directly within 12" of a UVB bulb."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2010 03:19AM by tropical.

Date: December 04, 2010 06:14AM

My daylight alarm has a warning about prolonged exposure to the eyes also.

Posted by: Ariel55 ()
Date: December 10, 2010 04:55PM

I've been raw vegan for 10 years and before that mostly raw vegan and i had a very low vitamin d level but i also had a bone scan recently and there is no osteoporosis despite the low vit d. I was in the lowest risk group, so I'm quite happy about that as I was never too sure. as I fitted some of the at risk group factor, ie low body weight and i hardly ever get any sun apart from a couple of months in summer as I'm in the UK, it is only the last two years, i've been tring to get as much sun as possible in the summer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2010 04:57PM by Ariel55.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables