Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Neep protein, but can't eat beans or nuts due to gout.
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 29, 2010 11:11PM

I am new. Today is day number 1. I am eating all raw... fruits and veggies only. If it is not a raw fruit or veggie product. I am not eating it.

I am doing this as a 21 day detox and spiritual fast with the plans to continue a predominately raw lifestyle.

My main concern is protein. I am a gout sufferer and am unable to eat beans, nuts, seeds, edamame, etc. Anything that is high in purines and protein.

My hopes are that after cleansing my body and healing my kidneys, I can then eat these items. But until then, I am not sure how to get in my protein.

Anyone else have this issue or any ideas?

Peace and Love to All,

Jen

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Neep protein, but can't eat beans or nuts due to gout.
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: November 29, 2010 11:45PM

Every fruit and veggie has protein. Greens are a good example of this, although most people don't understand how full of protein they are. How about green smoothies? There is no need to worry about protein, especially since you can go back to nuts and seeds after your bout with gout.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: November 30, 2010 12:39AM

what banana who has said is basically right, however you have to have a wide variety of various fruits and veggies to get good protein, as you need a good variety of amino acids, websites like fitday.com and I think there is another one im forgetting, somebody will chime in with it soon, are good for helping you track that sorta stuff... when I was able to afford to drink a quart+ of kale/carrot juice a day, I was getting nearly 50% of my daily value of complete protein JUST from that, let alone everything else I consumed... you can do it, you just need to pay attention to what amino acids your getting!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: November 30, 2010 12:50AM

Bananas are a complete protein and I believe that avocados are as well.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: November 30, 2010 12:59AM

All raw foods have protein. Gout is caused by too much protein, which you must realize because the high protein foods don't work for you. The proteins that are found in fresh fruits and salad vegetables contain enough protein for your body's needs assuming you eat enough of them to meet your energy or caloric needs.

Date: November 30, 2010 01:05AM

I have never heard that be4 O.o...*checks* well bananas do seem to have a wide variety of amino acids, but their score is only 62 according to nutrition facts, indicating they arent even close to being a complete protein... and have about 1.5 grams of protein in a large banana.
[nutritiondata.self.com]

Avocados on the other hand you seem to be right about! they have an insanely high rating of 129, but only 2.7 grams of protein, so its a complete protein, but thats ALLOT of fat if you want get most of your protein from avocados... although at least its good fats...
[nutritiondata.self.com]

and this is the other site I was trying to remember,lol...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: November 30, 2010 01:24AM

Sorry, I meant that bananas contained all essential amino acids. Actually, the body makes the others so it's not necessary to have steak or whatever to avoid deficiency.[www.lifeplusvitamins.com]

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: November 30, 2010 02:46AM

Sat, Drink a mixture of food grade Diotamatious earth in a large glass of water and it will eliminate your gout. Gout is caused by a diet that is too acidic, esp animal proteins. My friend who is SAD (Standard American Diet) and a heavy meat eater had Gout and did the DE and is over it even while eating SAD. This isn't to say that one should continue to eat such an acidic diet but to show you how effective it is. Good luck. Therese

Date: November 30, 2010 04:14AM

Thanks Everyone for all of your info. I am so excited to begin this new life.

Everything I am learning is exciting and I am drinking it in like a sponge!

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: November 30, 2010 12:24PM

Nettle leaf is great for eliminating uric acid, and magnesium malate/malic acid will also do the same.

Sprouts are rich in protein, although all foods have protein/amino acids, you'd have to eat alot of fruit and vegetables to get anywhere near the RDA for protein.

Date: November 30, 2010 11:51PM

sheeeesh! your getting me all excited now too! lol, your infectious! hahaha

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: paragon1685 ()
Date: December 01, 2010 04:13AM

Even if fruit didn't have essential amino acids, you could
actually live (I know this might be hard to believe) without
protein (i.e. amino acids) for 21 days! Trust me on this one.
(And I've never asked anyone to trust me on this website
before.)

The contents of your body fat will nourish you in the short
run, if for some strange reason you don't get adequate
supplies. (Anyone who has undergone a long-term water fast
can attest to the fact that you don't die by not consuming
protein - or anything else, other than water, for that matter)

And congratulations on your new, exciting RAW life!

Steve
[www.meetup.com]
[www.rawgosia.com]

Date: December 01, 2010 04:14AM

yeah...I dont think anyone has denied the ability to survive for awhile without protein, id just rather survive longer than "awhile"...lol...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: December 06, 2010 02:26PM

The strongest, fittest, healthiest raw fooders are the ones that eat the least protein and the most carbs.

I mean, if you have gout, do you think you need more protein? winking smiley

Date: December 06, 2010 03:39PM

Durian rider, your high fruit diet, contains a large amount of protein... the amino acids in the fruits are used to synthesize protein in your body, so you are effectively getting more than your RDA of protein from what Ive read in the past about your eating habits.

The OP's original question pertained to basically whether or not they could get protein from other than conventional sources, we have pointed out that fruits and veggies all contain most, and in some cases all, of the building blocks needed to get protein, especially if somebody eats as much fruit as you do!lol...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: December 06, 2010 05:17PM

durianrider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The strongest, fittest, healthiest raw fooders are
> the ones that eat the least protein and the most
> carbs.
>
> I mean, if you have gout, do you think you need
> more protein? winking smiley

I don't need more protein, but I do need enough protein to keep me healthy and keep my body from breaking down my muscles and internal organs. For gout sufferers, it is a very fine line.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: December 06, 2010 05:40PM

Did you give the nettle leaf powder a try or malic acid/magnesium malate both are great for gout and eliminating uric acid.

Nettle leaf has the benefit of supporting the kidneys also.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: December 07, 2010 03:48AM

saturdayschild, every list I looked at shows nuts to be low in purine. The high purine/high uric acid foods are the ones you really need to avoid. If you check out the lists on the links below, you'll see that the worst culprits are almost all meats.

I bet you didn't get gout from being a vegan! No more meat! smiling smiley

Of course it's fine if you want to really clean out for a while and avoid nuts and seeds. But whenever you get hungry for something other than fruits and veggies, a moderate quantity of nuts/seeds should be just fine (if they're raw, unsalted and organic).

Not sure about the source of the second two links, but the first one is from Boston University Medical Campus. My favorite is the second link:

[dcc2.bumc.bu.edu]
[www.goutpal.com]
[www.acumedico.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2010 03:50AM by suncloud.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables