Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

chickpea (garbanzo) sprout question
Posted by: merry ()
Date: December 09, 2010 01:57PM

Hello, I sprouted some chickpeas the other day (have tried a few times in the past also) thinking to make some raw hummus. They develop a really strong kind of fermented taste - a bit overpowering. I couldnt tell if they had gone off or not....but this developed from 2nd day even though I rinsed them regularly.
can any one tell me any way to avoid this or is it normal and is there any danger in consuming them?
Thank you!!

Re: chickpea (garbanzo) sprout question
Posted by: RocketShip ()
Date: December 10, 2010 09:00AM

I have NEVER been able to successfully sprout chickpeas. They mold very easily even when rinsed and drained really well.

Several years back somone on here got deathly sick from sprouted chickpeas.

I have luck with almost any other sprout - love lentils - but chickpeas have been crossed off my list of sproutables.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 10, 2010 03:09PM

Chickpeas are notoriously fragile in sprouting--they turn in the blink of an eye! If it smells at all "off," discard, no matter how much trouble you've taken. I have successfully sprouted chikpeas only a few times, and when the cold had already set in--summertime chickpea sproutings always proved a bust. I never sprouted mine for more than a day, or sufficient to put a teeny nub of a tail on the sprout(they taste best at this stage), and used only reverse osmosis filtered water to rinse them. Just keep trying, and you'll figure out what works best in your particular environment. Good luck!

Posted by: Krefcenz ()
Date: December 10, 2010 03:24PM

Melina and Davis have commented that chickpea sprouts are full of anti-nutrients that interfere with protein absorption. Personally, I wouldn't eat them. Mung beans and lentil sprouts are much better alternatives.

Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: December 10, 2010 04:42PM

I've only done it a few times, but never had a problem. I soak them in water ovenight. Then drain them and place them on two paper towels on a plate. I use a sprayer bottle full of water and give them a few spritzes whenever I remember (3 or 4 times a day). Make sure to spray them really well before bedtime so they don't dry overnight.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables