Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Week long fast and ketosis
Posted by: SkyeBlue ()
Date: September 09, 2006 07:32AM

Hi,

Next week I'm aiming for a 3 day to week long water fast. I feel junked up and out of balance because of fruit overeating. My candida has gone bananas!

Anyway . . my question is . . have you ever gone into ketosis while water fasting? I tried a two day fast and went into ketosis the second day (strangely). I have a very fast metabolism and at that point was very athletic and slim. I also wasn't eating that much at the time.

Do you think that its ok to continue water fasting while in ketosis? I'm wondering if the high levels of ketones would prevent the cleansing that happens during a fast. What do you think?

By the way I'm writing about ketosis that you detect by a smell of acetone on your breath, not ketoACIDosis - a long term ketosis of undiagnosed diabetes.

Thanks for reading this!

Skye,

x x x

P.S. I'm selling my copy of Eating for Beauty half price, perfect condition. PM for details

Re: Week long fast and ketosis
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 09, 2006 08:30AM

Hi SkyBlue. Good question, I am also interested in the science of fasting (most books on it seem a bit too spirtualy focused in nature).

By the way, you can also advertise your book here : [rawlovers.com]

Posted by: thehulaqueen ()
Date: September 09, 2006 11:54AM

If you are fasting you will go into ketosis.. it's a side effect of burning fat for energy (since you are not eating). Sugar based stores run out quickly.

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: September 09, 2006 09:26PM

I agree with thehulaqueen.

Dr. Joel Fuhrman, MD is considered a leader in therapeutic fasting, and in fact was inspired to enter medical school after his own 46 day fast at Dr. Shelton's Health School.

According to Dr. Fuhrman, in his book, FASTING AND EATING FOR HEALTH, "Ketosis develops within 48 hours in fasting females and 72 hours in males....As the level of ketones rises in the bloodstream they compete with glucose as a substance that can be used for energy in the central nervous system, thereby greatly diminishing the body's need for glucose, sparing protein, and preventing further acidosis caused by tissue catabolism. Through this inherent survival mechanism, the brain, muscle, and heart begin to use ketones instead of glucose as fuel. This is known as PROTEIN SPARING. In this phase, muscle is conserved and the maximum breakdown of fatty tissue and removal of atheromas and toxins occur."

In other words, ketosis is a normal and healthy function of fasting, and removal of toxins does occur during ketosis.

Regarding diabetic ketosis, he goes on to say, "...ketosis in the fasting individual differs from that in diabetics. In uncontrolled diabetics, the levels of ketones produced reaches such high levels that the acid/base balance may be overwhelmed. In the fasting individual, the body maintains control of the levels of ketones produced as a fuel source."

As a precaution, for people who haven't fasted much before, I feel I should mention that Dr. Fuhrman also says that some people can't fast. He says, "...some people have an enzyme defect call MCAD (medium-chain acyl-CoA dehydrogenase) deficiency, and it would be unsafe for these individuals to fast....Even though this condition is exceedingly rare, respiratory failure, extreme weakness, seizures, coma, or death may ensue if the individual continues with a prolonged fast....I do not recommend fasting for patients with laboratory findings of significant liver or kidney disease. Extremely weak and debilitated patients generally should not fast. Nor should patients with severe anemia, severe nutritional deficiency states, porphyria, or pregnancy. Patients who are severely malnourished, such as those with advance stages of cancer or AIDS, should not fast..."

Just thought I'd print that scary stuff cause you never know who might be reading this, and someone out there might try to fast when they shouldn't.

Best wishes to you SkyeBlue, -Ally

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2006 09:32PM by Ally.

Posted by: GyroGirl ()
Date: September 11, 2006 01:58AM

SkyeBlue,

I have gone into ketosis before, but only knew so because of the remarks others had on my scent. Especially that of my father who is a chemist, having dealt with ketones.

Otherwise, I do not think I would have ever known that my body entered this stage of metablolism. How were you able to recognize that your body began ketosis?

much luck

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: September 11, 2006 06:57AM

What do ketones smell like?

Posted by: Casy ()
Date: September 11, 2006 06:25PM

Your breath smells fruity....You can buy Ketoxis at CVS or any drugstore to see if yiu've entered ketosis

Posted by: GyroGirl ()
Date: September 12, 2006 03:55AM

VeganLife,

I was told by many that it's a very sweet smell. My husban put it as "Why do you have that sweet smell all the time?"

It may sound endearing only he was literal and serious, it's a "sweet" oder that seems to come from the breath predominantly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables