Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Chicken
Posted by: Raine ()
Date: September 11, 2006 01:18AM

I would really like to know if anyone else that has gone predominately raw in the past 12 months, had problems with chicken before their new dietary change.

Even though I have been chicken-free for 13 months, it was on of the main things that made me throw in the towel with processed foods.

Begining in 2005, about half the time I had chicken, I would awaken around 1-2am with the most horrible stomach pains. It was the stomach and not the intestines. Terrible cramping that would last for about 2 hours, nothing I did could make it go away, I craved to be packed down in ice (I emptied the ice bin many a time!), I would finally feel the need to vomit and by that time was usually 5am and I was exhausted for the rest of the day.

It didn't matter where the chicken was bought from, how it was prepared or even what state I was in - the symptoms were the same. Somewhere outside of Denver in early August 2005 was the last time I had chicken because there is nothing worse than going through that when you are stuck in a hotel for the night.

Why did I keep trying to have chicken? When you are on the road and not actively planning your meals, have you even noticed how much chicken is on everyone's menu?

After I had been chicken free for a couple months, I mentioned what had happened to a friend of mine. She said that a few months earlier she noticed that when she ate poultry she would become very flushed and have a prickling sensation.

So I am still curious -- did something happen to how chicken was processed and/or has anyone else had the problems?

I have NO interest in returning to chicken - the memories of the painful nights are still too fresh - but I am still curious if anyone else has had problems.

~raine~

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicken
Posted by: GyroGirl ()
Date: September 11, 2006 01:50AM

Hi raine,

I have not had chicken since last Thanksgiving, other than that I have had flesh such as fish once every one or two months, and before was vegetarian for a year.

Two weekends ago I decided to have chicken instaead of tuna, which would have been my first choice, only I felt a distinct craving for chicken. ANyhow, my husband and I went to Wild Oats, where, from the salad bar I chose greens and veggies, plus a cup worth of the diced chicken that was available. Once I started eating it it begin to quell my craving, only I think I got much more. The chicken must have been cured and spiced because it was so salty!

For the rest of the day I had the worst headache, all of my muscles ached, and I was so tired! It felt like the flu! Ever since I still have not felt right, but I've also been eating cheese once a week, which I find causes me to feel ill as well.

I don't find any "foul" in your experience and I agree with noting that chicken is always on the menu, it seems to be the "dieters" meat.

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: September 11, 2006 02:16AM

isn't it funny when people find out that you're healthy, into health foods, and won't touch the chicken? i refused to eat anything from chickens or other fowls for five years. i ate it once while pregnant (March of this year) because my mom was force-feeding me greek chicken. and once since then, and each time felt HORRIBLE for days afterwards. i've also had the waking up violently ill in the wee hours. i thought it was just psychological.

i'm not sure what it could be, except i just can't break it down.

i do have a friend who is severely allergic to chickens and turkey, and he can feel a reaction in the top of his mouth. and it makes him ill. the proteins might just get all scary to your body because of the total cooking.

Posted by: GyroGirl ()
Date: September 12, 2006 04:09AM

Wow,

When I first saw this subject and had my experience to share I had not considered it quite significant.

After the addition by Mama Cass, I now am starting to appreciate my body's reaction. Other than having a headache and muscle cramps after consuming chicken for the first time after a year I assumed the other symptoms of illness I experienced had to do with the weather change or some other deficiency. Now it seems perfectly reasonable to feel full fledged illness if I were to follow the prescription of others in believing that chicken is a harmful flesh to consume.

Or is it all coincidence? Psychosymatic? I must admit I truly enjoyed the flesh, aside from the saltiness it was appetizing, with plenty of greens of course. Only after, I felt awful, for the rest of the day. I'm going to look up foul allergies now to see if the symptoms match.

Thanks for relating the experiences,

light and life

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: September 12, 2006 04:43PM

Not to mention how the CHICKEN FELT!!!!!!!

Life Is Good!

alive!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables