Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How to soften stools?
Posted by: Delta223 ()
Date: December 31, 2010 11:33PM

Hi,

Ever since I switched to a mainly produce/bean diet my stools have been fairly hard (no doubt due to the fiber) I'm having to deal with clogged toilets nearly daily

Is there anything that can be eaten to naturally soften stools?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to soften stools?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 31, 2010 11:37PM

prunes, that old stand by. plenty of water and some fats too.

You aren't eating raw beans though, are you? if you are, cut it out winking smiley.

Posted by: Delta223 ()
Date: December 31, 2010 11:56PM

No the beans are cooked, only my produce is taken raw

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 01, 2011 12:08AM

abundant fiber shouldnt be making your stools hard .. quite the contrary i think .. more likely lack of water make stool hard are you taking in enough water while you are transitioning? smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Omega ()
Date: January 01, 2011 12:25AM

It's possible that your new, high fiber diet is eliminating old, hardened, fiberless material from your intestines, such as meat and/or processed foods.

Posted by: BackAgain ()
Date: January 01, 2011 01:15AM

That's typically normal when adding more fiber..whether cooked or raw. You need to up the amount slowly to get your body more used to it. And make sure to be drinking enough water.

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: January 01, 2011 12:39PM

Just don't flush the toilet for a few hours and they'll soften up naturally.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 01, 2011 02:13PM

How much water/juice are you drinking? And, you know, if there's anything constipating in your diet, that might be throwing elimination off. This is an odd response to a high amount of fiber, but perhaps your body just needs time to adjust.

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: January 01, 2011 06:16PM

Castor Oil will clean you out. Blessed Herbs is supposed to be great for a bowel cleanse. You can also drink Senna Leaf tea.

I think the stool change is due to the beans. Whenever I eat cooked beans, the stools are harder.

Therese

Date: January 01, 2011 06:24PM

OMG I do NOT recommend Senna! If you're already having trouble passing hard stool you want to work to soften it, not increase peristalsis! That could be very painful and possibly injurious. Take care with laxatives.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: January 01, 2011 07:28PM

I agree with coco herbs such as senna and other stimulant laxatives shouldnt be used they weaken function further.

Posted by: merry ()
Date: January 02, 2011 03:04AM

I would also agree that eating a lot of beans could be the problem. They have that effect on me too and I only eat them very now and then.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: January 02, 2011 06:18AM

I haven't had that problem with beans, but ive been eating them rather often for a long time, so maybe im used to them by now?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: January 02, 2011 04:41PM

I hear they take a while to get used to. We have always eaten them as a staple in our veg diet so they don't bother us but give them to a sad eater and it's gas city, peee ewww!

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: January 02, 2011 07:01PM

Buy some magnesium oxide capsules which are inexpensive and take 2 or 4 capsules of 500 mgs. each capsule. That will help usualy. Drink lots of water with them.

With the high fiber diet, drink lots of fluids. Eat fruit also, lots of it as it has lots of water content.

Love,
Prism

Date: January 02, 2011 07:24PM

Dont take magnesium oxide, magnesium oxide is caustic and burns the intestine, not only that it neutralizes stomach acid.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: January 02, 2011 08:23PM

@Kid Raw: LOL!!!!!!!!!

I would not use stimulant laxatives like senna, either. I would get some "roughage" bulky material, like raw broccoli or even psyllium fiber (not powder). You can get it free of additives from a health store.

Date: January 02, 2011 08:27PM

Good call on the stimulant laxative herbs such as senna, they further weaken bowel function.

Supporting your good flora is another good idea via fermented foods. You have to watch the raw goitrogen containing vegetables especially if your not intaking sufficient iodine.

Rice bran is a better choice than pysllium husks.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: January 02, 2011 09:01PM

Why do you feel that way about rice bran? I am thinking that some fiber has too much soluable fiber and that she may just need some good old-fashioned roto-rooter action going on. As for the gointrogens, don't you think that is a bit overblown? I am not suggesting eating anything all the time, but until her system adjusts, I fail to see what harm it could do. Or how about adding kelp with the cruciferous family? I don't believe that cauliflower makes people fat. I will never believe that, but there is so much nutrition in that group (and kale is a member, too, don't forget!) that to avoid them altogether seems silly.

Date: January 02, 2011 09:36PM

I wrote a little article on the goitrogens and raw if anyone wishes to see it. Yeah it can be countered by increasing iodine intake.

The rice bran is a non bloating non irritating fiber compared to pysllium.

Some foods in my opinion are better cooked such as the goitrogen containing vegetables but not everyone does and i obviously juice and eat some of them raw myself in which case i up the iodine on those days like you said with the kelp.

Ill link [vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: January 02, 2011 09:43PM

Good to know about the rice bran, I wondered in the past why psyllium made me so uncomfortable.

Also, what about "cooking" those cruciferous veggies with an oil and lemon juice marinade? Anyone know if that changes anything?

Date: January 02, 2011 10:29PM

Cooking/steaming etc for around 10 minutes inactivates the goitrogenic compounds, not sure if that helps what your meaning coco.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: January 02, 2011 11:40PM

Unfortunately coco, from what ive found out recently, apparently its only heat cooking that helps, not chemical cooking...sad smiley I had really hoped chemical cooking would help... on another note, It did help make raw rice more palatable to me! lol

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables