Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Organic Carrots That Seem Contaminated
Posted by: Nick_TN ()
Date: January 07, 2011 08:28PM

I bought two brands of organic carrots a while back, washed them, and put them together in the fridge. Then I noticed that some of them had a taste that reminds me of diesel fuel, especially at the first bite [the pointed end], so I would spit it out into the garbage and sometimes throw that carrot away. Anyone else ever notice this? They say carrots are earth cleaners. All I can think of is that these were planted in soil that got contaminated with a diesel fuel spill. It may not be that at all for all I know but it reminds me of diesel fuel. Many of the carrots taste good, the way a carrot should, but some are odd tasting, and I don't think it's a good idea to eat anything that tastes odd, even if it's organic. Odd tasting should be thrown away.

I can mention the brands if you'd like me to.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Organic Carrots That Seem Contaminated
Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: January 07, 2011 08:39PM

Organic doesn't mean chemical-free. It means that whatever chemicals are used (if used) should be from 'organic' sources.

"Organically grown" food is food grown and processed using no synthetic fertilizers or pesticides. Pesticides derived from natural sources (e.g., biological pesticides) may also be used in producing organically grown food. Increasingly, some consumers are purchasing organically grown and processed foods as a way to reduce their exposure to synthetic pesticides and fertilizers. Many supermarkets now stock organic products for their consumers. Ask your grocer about organic food and its availability at your store. - EPA

When tests are done to 'verify' that something is organic, they check for banned substances, but that leaves a very wide open door to all sorts of other chemicals. It's possible your grower used an 'organic' substance to treat your carrots. It's also possible the tractor had a bit of a gas leak.:/ It's really hard to tell what the strange taste is.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 07, 2011 09:24PM

Wow, bummer. I'd probably dispose of them and not buy that brand or from that shop again.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 07, 2011 09:31PM

i would definitely call their 1800 number if there is one provided and let them know your concerns ... produce (organic or not) can get contaminated along all sorts of stages of handling so it might be something to bring to their attention smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: January 07, 2011 10:38PM

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow, bummer. I'd probably dispose of them and not
> buy that brand or from that shop again.

Yeah but the thing is, I had avoided that brand for years because I didn't like the taste of their carrots and decided to try a one pound bag of them just to see how they were, and they were great carrots and juicier than my regular brand. But, I took both brands and combined them, so I can only presume which brand had the occasional foul tasting carrot.

I have a feeling my regular brand is OK. I usually get them in 5 pound bags, and I've never noticed a foul carrot coming out of their bag, so I'll probably stick with that brand, even though they aren't the juiciest carrots I've ever had. smiling smiley

Date: January 07, 2011 10:41PM

Jgunn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i would definitely call their 1800 number if there
> is one provided and let them know your concerns
> ... produce (organic or not) can get contaminated
> along all sorts of stages of handling so it might
> be something to bring to their attention smiling smiley

I may do that. Carrots are like earth cleaners {actually many root veggies may be} because they suck nutrients [and contaminants if they're there] into them. People have grown carrots in contaminated soil to help remove contaminants.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 07, 2011 11:05PM

yes indeed pumkins and sunflowers work inthe same way .. in fact if you google chernobyl accident and sunflowers there were some articles a few years back about the drawing properties of certain things .. alfalfa is also another smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: January 08, 2011 12:41AM

I believe it. It probably includes a lot more than just root veggies. smiling smiley

I can't stand the taste or commercial apples. I tried a couple of them a while back, just to see how they'd be, and I ended up throwing them both away, a Granny Smith and a Gala. They had a weird chemical type taste. I'm used to organic apples, but when I often ate commercial apples back in the 80s, they didn't seem to taste bad then. Maybe they're worse now, but I know I won't buy any more of them. smiling smiley

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: January 08, 2011 02:02AM

i cant stand gala apples, commercial or organic... I love jazz...ive not seen them in organic sections though...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: BackAgain ()
Date: January 08, 2011 06:43AM

Don't know about "contaminated" but I've noticed that some just do have an off taste to it and I just don't like it. But yeah if you're tasting Diesel specifically..something's wrong there. I inhale Diesel almost every morning..can't really say that's what I'm tasting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2011 06:45AM by BackAgain.

Date: January 08, 2011 11:42AM

It's hard to believe that so many of the general public are buying commercial apples and other produce every day and actually think they taste good! I think they are pathetic tasting -- very un-natural tasting. People have gotten so used to pesticides that they've gotten immune to the taste of that garbage. It's sad, because that stuff isn't healthy, IMHO.

Posted by: BackAgain ()
Date: January 08, 2011 10:21PM

Depends on the produce though. We have lots of apple orchids here and even though they spray them to keep bugs off..the apples still taste amazing since I'm getting them right off a tree.

The crap apples int he store.."organic" shipped over from New Zealand and wherever else..they're horrible. They're dry, not sweet nor fresh tasting and are just "pathetic" looking and tasting!

Actually maybe since so many product is unappealing.. it's why the general public hardly eats any fruits/vegetables and usually when they do they hide the tastes with salad dressing or cooking it/frying it.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: January 08, 2011 11:35PM

Jazz are from new zealand, and even the apples on my trees back at my old childhood home, werent nearly as tasty and juicy as them, I cant even imagine how awesome they would be fresh ripe right off the tree and organic...mmmmm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: January 13, 2011 08:40PM

Update : I called the company that makes the organic carrots that have tasted odd to me lately, and she told me that is NOT contamination, but lowER sugar content and higher Turpenoid content of the carrot. they seem to have a good, caring quality control dept in that company and I was glad I called her.

She said she's going to send me coupons for free organic carrots. :-) So, don't let the taste throw you. Things like weather can really affect the taste of organic produce.

Date: January 13, 2011 08:57PM

Nick,

Eh, what on earth are turpenoids doing anywhere near their carrots?

Date: January 13, 2011 10:18PM

Turpenoids are natural in carrots. It usually tastes soapy to me though, not like gasoline.

http://www.carrotmuseum.co.uk/cultivation.html
Carrots can taste soapy or bitter - Two ingredients determine a carrot's flavour: sugars and terpenoids (volatile compounds that impart the carrot flavour). Some varieties are naturally high in terpenoids, which make the carrots taste bitter or soapy. Because terpenoids develop earlier than sugars, a carrot that is harvested too young might taste bitter.

The taste in carrots is based on the right balance of sugars and terpenoids. Terpenoids produce a soapy turpentine-like taste that will mask sweetness. Differences in flavour components have been found to be attributable more to genetics than to climatic conditions; however, the controversy continues. Volatiles can also increase during cold storage (around -1C) which is a common practice (even for organics!)

Many different terpenes in carrot can cause a turpentine-like taste. Usually terpenes give a desirable taste to carrots, but in high concentrations can give undesirable taste. Factors influencing undesirable taste include genetics, growing conditions, diseases and insects, post-harvest handling and storage atmosphere.

Storing carrots near apples or other fruits that manufacture ethylene gas as they ripen, encourages the development of terpenoids in the vegetable and causing them to become bitter when exposed to ethylene.
Raw carrots will taste more soapy than cooked ones, as cooking breaks down the terpenoids allowing the sweetness to come through.
The Nantes variety produces roots which have higher sugar content, lower in terpenoids and less suitable for long-term storage.

A lot depends on the growing conditions ( if you grow your own) - the flavour is best if they mature when days are warm and sunny and nights are cool and still. The plant is photosynthesizing like crazy in the daytime and putting a lot of sugars down into the root, then a cool night comes and the carrot 'rests' instead of burning up that sugar. Where the night time temps stay in the 60s or warmer, the plants respire more at night and use up the accumulated sugars. So for the sweetest roots, time your carrot crop to mature at a time of year with warm days and chilly nights. and no matter what the conditions, harvest late in the day rather than in the early morning.

One old wives tale I have heard, but not proven - take 2 pounds of carrots and boil them with three whole cloves and a bit of salt, is supposed to make them sweeter. (if you try this do tell me what you observe).

Date: January 14, 2011 03:46PM

veghunter,

Thanks for the explanation. I must say I have never tasted a carrot that in any way reminded me of turps. Or soap for that matter. I am wondering if a high concentration of them is toxic the way that turp(or terp)oids from other sources would be?

Date: January 14, 2011 04:17PM

Possibly, but I'm not worrying about it. Death by carrot isn't common. smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables