Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Are fruits good or bad?
Posted by: greenman ()
Date: September 11, 2006 09:09PM

Are too much fruits bad or good?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Are fruits good or bad?
Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: September 11, 2006 09:34PM

I don't think they are bad. For me, they are my main energy source because they are higher in calories which I need. BUT of course I try to balance everything with greens.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: September 11, 2006 09:50PM

I find them to be a high-vibrational food. If you are just starting out....I think you should eat a wide variety of all fruits, vegetables and nuts....with a preponderance of dark, leafy greens - and a minimum (but self-set) amount of nuts. As you advance...you can probably eat more fruit...if you feel well-grounded. I prefer only fruit. Just my thing. winking smiley

-David Mason

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 12, 2006 01:12AM

Fruit in their natural state are very good, most fruit in the foodstores are hybrid with a high sugar content which may not good. Fruit is not the problem, it is the sugar that was added by humans

Posted by: Arvydas ()
Date: September 12, 2006 01:31AM

djatchi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fruit in their natural state are very good, most
> fruit in the foodstores are hybrid with a high
> sugar content which may not good. Fruit is not the
> problem, it is the sugar that was added by humans

Word.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: September 12, 2006 02:45AM

Too much of any food, whether it is fruit or lettuce is not good for your health. That being said, there are raw vegans, myself included, who do well with over 80% of our calories coming from fresh fruit.

Posted by: learningtofly ()
Date: September 12, 2006 03:08AM

Arvydas Wrote:
> djatchi Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Fruit in their natural state are very good,
> most
> > fruit in the foodstores are hybrid with a high
> > sugar content which may not good. Fruit is not
> the
> > problem, it is the sugar that was added by
> humans
>
> Word.

Double word.

Posted by: greenman ()
Date: September 12, 2006 03:35AM

Well, how does one get fruits that have not been altered by humans? I mean just naturally grown nothing added.

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: September 12, 2006 04:14AM

Whenever possible, IMO local organic is best. If not local organic, then organic. Too bad it's expensive (not the grower's fault).

Best wishes, -Ally

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2006 04:17AM by Ally.

Posted by: Arvydas ()
Date: September 12, 2006 04:36PM

greenman Wrote:
> Well, how does one get fruits that have not been
> altered by humans? I mean just naturally grown
> nothing added.

The "alteration" comes from selective growing over the centuries to produce sweeter fruit varieties.

One step is to try to get only heirloom fruit varieties from Farmer's Markets and better natural food stores. They almost always have a much greater mineral content, which helps buffer the sugars.

Posted by: Raw Step By Step ()
Date: September 12, 2006 08:28PM

I think biologically we were meant to live off of a large amount of fruits.

It can be a challenge, though, for many people coming from a different lifestyle and diet, who need some adjustment time.

Though a lot of greens is also essential for nutrition and balance.

Certainly fruit is the most natural way to eat. Although there are things I eat out of convenience that I couldn't get in nature.

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: September 13, 2006 12:06AM

I agree with arvydas about selective growing. Grafting trees takes selective growing a step further, and I think we humans are really messing up by grafting so many of our fruit trees. Commercially grown fruit trees, including commercially organic, are almost all grafted. That way growers know exactly what kind of fruit they'll get. The ungrafted trees (grown from seed) of many varieties of fruit are not predictable. Nature has a tendency to diversify a little with every seed.

Grafted trees are weaker, more suceptible to disease and infestation (hence growers use more chemicals on them), and they don't live nearly as long.

My family and I raised a lot of grafted trees organically, simply for access to the market. Retailers - even at health food stores - will ask if you have a certain specific variety of fruit. If you don't, even if your fruit is good, they often won't buy it. Sad huh?

We were fortunate to have also planted a lot of trees from seed, and I hope others will too.

Best wishes, -Ally

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: September 13, 2006 12:33AM

greenman Wrote:
> Well, how does one get fruits that have not been
> altered by humans? I mean just naturally grown
> nothing added.

Cultivated non-sweet fruit and vegetables have a nutrient profile and sugar substrate that more closely resembles the wild fruit that our primate cousins still eat. So along with your cultivated fruits, eat them, include some good clean sources of essential fatty acids, and b12/d2 supplements and you will do fine.

And you can eat the occasional "weed" dandelion and purslane that might grow near your dwelling. Wild fruit would be considerably more difficult to obtain in most locales.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables