Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Wheat Germ and Wheat
Posted by: Yogamama ()
Date: September 13, 2006 05:41PM

What does raw wheat germ do for you? And how do you eat it/prepare it?

Also, can wheat be sprouted?

Thanks - Kim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wheat Germ and Wheat
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 13, 2006 05:51PM

Wheat germ is healthy for a person. Sprinkle it over salad or fruit. Yeppers wheat can be sprouted. Hope this helps.

Onie

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: September 13, 2006 11:51PM

Make sure you buy it prepackaged labeled "raw" and not from the bin where it can be rancid. I like it a lot on salads, but now I prefer sprouted wheat. I soak the wheatberries overnight, and then rinse them at least a couple of times a day and let them drain. I do that for one or two days after soaking them. They're great added to salads and nori wraps (with avocado or olive oil and lemon juice for dressing).

Best wishes, -Ally

Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: September 14, 2006 12:40AM

Does wheat germ cause an alkaline or acid effect?

Date: September 14, 2006 02:47PM

Ally...thanks for the tip about adding sprouted wheat berries to a salad or nori wraps. That sounds delicious. I have some wheat berries at home, so I will start soaking them tonight. I also have wheat germ at home, but I think it is toasted...I will have to check.

Kim

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: September 14, 2006 02:58PM

Will sprouted wheat contain gluten?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 14, 2006 03:08PM

Hey Kim..you can also make some raw dried "bread" using wheat germ as one of the components. I forget the exact recipe right now but I got it off here prior to the compooter crash or whutever happened. I tried making a batch which you stuffed into a mesh bag (I used a pair of the warden's panty hose) then you hang it from a tree outside in the sun to dry. Mine didnt turn out too good cause the panty hose stuck to the bread. Probably shoulda used cheese cloth or muslin or something like that instead of the panty hose looking back on it. Glanced through the recipe section on here and didnt notice it. Maybe somebody has it saved.

Onie

Date: September 14, 2006 03:32PM

Onie, LOL about your panty hose sticking to the bread! I actually just got Dr. Grahams recipe book, and he has a recipe in there for bread like that, which you let bake out in the sun. It sounds wonderful. Can't wait to try it. Thanks for the tip!

Kim

Date: September 15, 2006 06:44AM

Dear Healthybun,

According to www.celiac.com, "Most sprouted wheat still has gluten or gluten peptides remaining. Although the sprouting begins enzymatic action that starts to break down the gluten (a storage protein for the plant) into peptides and even amino acids. Generally this is not a complete process for sprouts used in foods so some active peptides (active in celiac disease) remain."

The above quote was written by Donald Kasarda, research chemist in the Crop Improvement and Utilization Research Unit of the US Dept. of Agriculture. He includes his email if you have questions: kasarda@pw.usda.gov.

Best wishes, -Ally

Date: September 15, 2006 06:50AM

Dear shep252,

I would assume raw wheat germ would have at least a slight acid affect, but I'm not really sure. Anyone else know the answer to shep's question?

Best wishes, -Ally

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: September 16, 2006 01:00PM

Thank you Ally!

I'll mail him if he knows anymore.

Yours // Jacob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables