Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Cashews
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 30, 2011 06:48PM

I just finished watching Food Matters last night and one little comment (that really wasnt expanded on )

was that 2 handfulls of cashews was equal to one dose of prozac

that seemed like a pretty bold comment

what is in cashews that would have anti-depressent qualities?

any big brains out there that can fill me in? smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cashews
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: January 30, 2011 06:57PM

? they are high in copper.

Posted by: pippin07 ()
Date: January 30, 2011 07:20PM

No wonder cashews are my favorite nut :-)

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: January 30, 2011 08:51PM

Hmmm...

so that's what the deal is. I like cashews, but can only eat a small amount or I end up feeling tired, run down.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: January 30, 2011 08:58PM

don't believe it - having taken anti depressants I can tell you that cashews do not fit the bill - I am very thankful to say

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: January 30, 2011 09:00PM

Where is the evidence that cashew is good for you?

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: January 30, 2011 09:02PM

Cashew nuts are a source of tryptophan, some with minor depression can find foods rich in tryptophan beneficial, but saying they were equal to anti-depressants is pretty silly with no information to back it up.

Date: January 31, 2011 02:07AM

i agree .. bold statement that didnt follow up with any real explanation .. but i can see the copper and tryptophan working for some smiling smiley

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: January 31, 2011 02:21AM

tryptophan will definitely work for people with really mild depression, but definitely not as effective as prozac, if been on it when i was younger, and ive used foods high in tryptophan later on, and it helped a tiny bit, but not nearly as effectively as the prozac... saying that though, im also totally against using anti-depressants long term, especially since you get used to them and have to keep taking more and more and more...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: omega-3 ()
Date: February 01, 2011 02:46PM

"Anti-depressants" are right out of Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World." We should use natural herbs that come from the earth and eat healthy raw food, and we won't be depressed. We don't need little corporate pills that sabotage our brain chemistry. My god, people.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 01, 2011 04:09PM

omega-3 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Anti-depressants" are right out of Aldous
> Huxley's "Brave New World." We should use natural
> herbs that come from the earth and eat healthy raw
> food, and we won't be depressed. We don't need
> little corporate pills that sabotage our brain
> chemistry. My god, people.

Severely stifled by the lack of a "like" button on here!

This is so true for the majority of cases. Not many people want to look at the real root of modern day "depression" though, where's the money in that? And it requires we not be lazy about our own health. Not popular.

Two of my immediate family members suffer from major brain chemistry imbalances that I am convinced are directly related to childhood trauma, diet, lifestyle and especially childhood vaccinations. Preventable or at the very least manageable with diet and lifestyle changes but hospitals and doctors don't offer that course of treatment and if you suggest it, well, then you're crazy too.

Date: February 01, 2011 04:25PM

Agreed, there is so many different causes of depression such as low neurotransmitters, nutrient deficiencies, thyroid/hormonal and other endocrine disorders, medications, candida overgrowth and so on that how they believe an SSRI will tackle most of these problems other than its effects on serotonin is unbelievable.

Which is why in most cases its useless, not to mention the side effects, the increased feelings of suicide in some etc. The only time id recommend a pharmaceutical anti-depressant would be in extreme cases and with close observation.

Date: February 01, 2011 04:55PM

im in agreement on the use of anti-depressants powerlifer, sometimes people in a realyl bad place need a little boost to get them back to a place where then can start making healthier decisions, but chemical anti depressants I dont think should be used except in the most extreme cases, and not for the long term...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: February 04, 2011 05:44PM

I have heard that there is nothing, and I mean nothing, as difficult to stop taking, as antidepressants. It is supposedly hell on wheels. Like you are being put thru a giant meat grinder or wood chipper. So don't start them in the first place; look for basic causes and fundamental cures. Of course some people (a family member of mine now deceased) love being under the "care" of doctors and would sooner cut off their arm than take a serious look at the issue. Oh, well.

Date: February 04, 2011 05:52PM

St John's Wort in a standardised dose has been shown to be as effective as many antidepressants. I know it helped me in the past. It just takes a few weeks to work which doesn't help if you are mightily depressed.

Date: February 04, 2011 06:07PM

Horsea Wrote:
> I have heard that there is nothing, and I mean
> nothing, as difficult to stop taking, as
> antidepressants. It is supposedly hell on wheels.
> Like you are being put thru a giant meat grinder
> or wood chipper. So don't start them in the
> first place; look for basic causes and fundamental
> cures. Of course some people (a family member of
> mine now deceased) love being under the "care" of
> doctors and would sooner cut off their arm than
> take a serious look at the issue. Oh, well.

I have widthdrew from various anti-depressants, citalopram, mirtazapine etc and yeah it is pretty bad but no way on part with widthdrawing from alcohol as an alcoholic, or benzos, opiates. The first two are in serious league where you can die. I can tell you that it is worse than horrible being near to seizure so often.

How far ive come from that mess, wouldn't have had to be in the mess in the first place via depression if the doctors actually helped my chronic health problems rather than making out it was pyschosomatic for many years. As a growing up teenager living ill was no walk in the park ill say that.

So happy i took it on myself to learn about herbology, natural healing, diet, exercise becoming certified personal trainer etc.

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: February 04, 2011 06:27PM

Congrats to you for taking the right path. I wish everyone could do the same.

Yes, I meant to say that benzos are probably worse; I've read personal testimonials where they almost died.

Date: February 04, 2011 06:59PM

Thanks horsea, yeah they are one of the worst, id still class alcohol worse though and you can die from those withdrawals also.

If i hadn't bills to pay id prob go back and try my hand at medicine, doctor etc. So many people like us on here that are ill and myself fall through the cracks due to lack of caring for additional testing. A big part of my health problems were from heavy metal toxicity and the doctors really just arent interested.

Lost alot of my youth and life to illness sadly. But what can you do eh.

Date: February 04, 2011 09:30PM

they are much much worse horsea, I came off years of anti-depressant use cold turkey, it wasnt fun, but it was far far easier than even coming down off vicodin after only around 6 months of abuse, and still wasnt as bad as recovering from 1 heavy dose of meth somebody put in my soda... anti-depressants arent easy to come down off of, but they are much easier than most other controlled substances or illegal drugs...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: February 04, 2011 10:35PM

Jgunn Wrote:
> ....... 2 handfulls of cashews was equal to one
> dose of prozac
I'm pretty sure that Tonya Zavasta eats that amount
with her morning Vegetable Juice. Anyway, I saw it on one
of her YouTube videos. No matter, she's still my Heroine.....WY

Date: February 05, 2011 07:19AM

ii wonder really what that statement really means .. from the guy that said it

(HAS anyone seen the movie yet? )

2 handfulls of cashews = one dose of prozac

what does that mean .. .. 2 hand fulls of cashews makes you content .. quiet .. laid back .. what?!?

i dont know much about prozac i have to admit so im not sure exactly what then end game feeling is lol

i do think tho 2 handfulls of cashews would take and ENORMOUS amount of energy to digest in one sitting

in fact i tried it the other night .. ate 2 handfulls .. about half way thru the 2nd handfull i was feeling like i really didnt want any more cashews .. in fact they were kinda feeling downright nauseating at that point .. and i chewed and chewed and chewed my way thru them , i really made a point of masticating them really well getting the digestive fluids goin !

i did sleep like a dead rat tho .. out cold .. and the next day my digestion was kinda feeling sluggish

i think 2 handfulls would be overdoing it ! sedative affect or not ! grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2011 07:20AM by Jgunn.

Date: February 05, 2011 12:43PM

in the past, I have easily eaten two handfuls in a sitting, and more, been a long time since that, I was also on prozac for years, and I can definitively say eating lots of cashews was nothing like prozac,lol, at least not for me...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: February 05, 2011 03:08PM

My daughter loves cashews, they are her favourite nut. Hmm...

Date: February 06, 2011 04:50AM

mine too... if money wasnt a concern, would probably be macadamias though... I am also abig fan of brazil nuts...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: ragbutter ()
Date: September 15, 2014 10:53PM

I know this post is old but - I just had to say - I think David Wolfe is gorgeous!

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: September 16, 2014 05:48PM

I love cashews. Truly raw hand shelled. They are perfect. And yes Ragbutter, David Wolfe is handsome.
But is he still relevant? Let me know!

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: September 17, 2014 01:06AM

Magnesium might be the thingie that puts a smiling smiley on people's faces...

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 17, 2014 01:56AM

is that a butterfly above davidwolfe's hand?

i like butterflies

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables