Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Lack of Energy?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 16, 2006 04:55AM

Hello!

This is (obviously) my first post, although I've been reading these forums for about two years now. I suppose I should give some background information before my question.

I am 17, 18 in a little less than a month. I first discovered the whole raw foods concept on VH1 celebrity diets when they gave a segment on Carol Alt. I thought the idea was ridiculous....so ridiculous that I googled it the next day and came to this website and the forums and began to get hooked on the whole natural health thing. I was overweight at the time (and I still am, but more on that later) and thought that raw foods would be a great way to lose weight and ahcieve better health, so I started on and off for about a year and lost 50 pounds. My lowest weight was 215, around February 2005. Then, for some reaosn, I just stopped altogether. I have now ballooned to about 330 pounds (I am 5' 10"winking smiley. For the past year I just stopped caring about everything I guess, and let everything go. I didn't bother to go on my walks anymore or try and exercise the least.

Now, I am trying to change all that. But I'm finding it so hard to get myself to exercise. I wake up at 7am to get ready for school. I have tried waking up at 6am to exercise before school, but I am usually too tired and don't bother. I have also tried after school, but no matter how much rest I've gotten the night before, I am always exhausted and usually take naps for upwards of 4 hours (which I know cannot be a normal or healthy thing to do).

Excercise has always been a big thing for me...sticking to raw foods isn't all that difficult for me but exercising regularly is. So, I guess my question is....does anyone have some suggestions? Is this a "just suck it up and get through it" kind of a thing or are is there something I might try to get more energy or some motivation to exercise?

Well, if you read this huge wall of text, thanks. I really value the opinions on this forum.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lack of Energy?
Posted by: emmylou ()
Date: September 16, 2006 10:10AM

Hi There,

I think it's great that you are exploring Live Foods, I think this will be of great benefit to you and your weight and of course overall Well Being, I have never had a weigh issue, (other issues)..But I would get back into Live Foods.. weight loss will occur, that may give you some addtional energy to exercise. I would also suggest an exercise program that you enjoy. I practice yoga, which I love.. but even for me it is a dicipline, it's hard to get up at 6 am ..but I do..I just do..I feel better always afterwards..Good Luck, keep trying! Keep reading here!

emmylou

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: September 16, 2006 12:21PM

Opinions:

-I hear you. You can only bring acceptance to who you are in the NOW...and move forward. Be loving and kind to yourself. Explore (and do not try to stop)....the FEELINGS that come up....and the THOUGHTS that come up.....simply observe them and allow them.

-The underlying feelings and emotions are going to be far stronger than any physical changes you can make. You'll get lots of love and support from this board.

-On the practical side: You have to give your stomach and digestive system a chance to clear and shrink.

Practical suggestions:

1) Determine what percentage of raw food your are VERY comfortable with right NOW. Make a written and verbal plan to increase and stretch this percentage by perhaps 1-2% per week. Make VERY small goals that you are prepared to do every day - and that you WANT to do.

2) Make a big list with two columns. On the left...brainstorm and write down all the things that YOU think are the worst things that you do. Leave space under each item. Don't censor yourself. Under each item....write down at least three things you are prepared to do every day to help cut down or eliminate your bad habit. On the other side....write down the best foods, habits, or things you want to incorporate into your life. Leave space underneath to write down at least three things YOU are PREPARED and WANT to do...in order to facilitate those things and incorporate them.

3) Be prepared by always eating plenty of fresh, raw plant foods - and staying full.

4) Eat more frequent...smaller meals. Concentrate on foods with increased nutrients, water & bulk fiber.......and less on foods that are smaller, processed & have more processed fats & calories.

5) Avoid extreme (all-or-nothing) thinking. Eating well is a spectrum - just like anything else.

6) There are no raw food police. Don't think this is some gurus iron-clad plan that you have to adhere to. Make a forever commitment to eating better and swallow that on the deepest core of your being.

7) Eat before you leave the house...and always carry a snack bag.

8) Drink plenty of fresh water in between meals.

9) Make an exercise goal that is just ONE TINY STEP above what you are perfectly comfortable with now. If you can't carry it forward forever...then your goal / plan / action is too big. Make it smaller - and do it forever (or until you no longer need it).

10) A quick walk around the block is great exercise.

11) In the beginning, eat a HUGE and very WIDE variety of fresh, raw plant foods. Stick to the fruits, vegetables, and nuts that you LOVE. Don't force yourself to eat stuff that you HATE.

12) Take a supplement - if you are concerned about this.

13) Avoid drugs, caffiene, nicotene, alcohol, stimulants, depressents, etc.

14) In the beginning, use whatever lo-cal condiments and sauces that will help you to increase the amount of fresh, raw food in your diet.

15) Find a snack that helps you to feel full and satisfied....that is very high in bulk and natural sugars. Fruit is good. I used to eat frozen juice bars and hot-air popped popcorn all the time while I was losing weight.

16) You can lift some weights to pack on muscle as part of your exercise regime.

17) The only failure is the failure to try.

-Thank you for your intelligent question my friend.

-David Mason

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: September 17, 2006 03:00AM

That's fabulous that you don't have much trouble sticking to raw food. Welcome to the forum.

Posted by: ryandvan ()
Date: September 18, 2006 01:50AM

OK, my first question would be, what exercises are you trying to do? My guess is that you are thinking exercise as in running, aerobics, swimming, etc. or maybe even an hour long walk.

Those are all great things, but not if you haven't been doing them. I personally love to exercise but find that my time is very limited. If I haven't exercised in a while, to go hit the weights is just killer. I just don't have it in me. Even running can feel like a bit much. So I'll go for a short walk. The next day (or later that day), I'll feel a little more energized and go for a real long walk. The next day I'll go for a run, and the following day I'll feel so pumped I'll hit the weights. The point is, that you just have to start doing something, even if it is very small. As you do that, your body will start recalibrating itself and you will feel more like doing it again, and even like doing a little more. (though for you, it may take longer then me since you've been out of it longer). If done in moderation, exercise actually GIVES you energy!

Hope that helps!

-Ryan
radicalvitality.com

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: September 18, 2006 03:54AM

Are you implementing a balanced diet? try a good multivitamin and if you feel better then you know atht your diet is not vitamin balanced. Also you have to check you protein as in are you getting enough?
And last but Defenetely not least, if you are vegeterian or vegan you should check your B12 intake as B12 vitamins are mostly produced by unicellular organisms. No plants (fruit/veggies) are able to produce B12.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables