Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

making vegetables easier to digest...
Posted by: THeSt0rm ()
Date: February 19, 2011 09:17PM

Im trying to stay away from overt sugars or starches in the raw since they have a potential for mycotoxicity according to Gabriel Cousens.

The problem is.. I don't know (yet) how to prepare veggies in such a way so as to make them easier to digest.

On such a diet, things like more veggies and greens would have to be consumed, some of which are harder to digest than the fruits, grains and legumes (which are mycotoxic). Very sparingly can grains or fruit or legume sprouts be eaten. And mostly Im guessing it shd be the longer the sprouts the better. Only select seeds though.

I have a problem with this argument though since virtually any raw food has the potential to be mycotoxic but Im guessing anything with overt carbs in the higher glycemic index or load form.

Is it possible to make raw vegetables easier to digest?

ie, unroasting vegetables by putting them in a dehydrator until they wilt with a little oil.

Soaked eggplant (or other) in salted water (?)

Etc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: making vegetables easier to digest...
Posted by: madinah ()
Date: February 19, 2011 09:22PM

Juice them.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 19, 2011 09:24PM

Smoothies are a great way to consume a volume of foods and ensure that they are primed for easy digestion. Make sure to "chew" them very well to mix with saliva and start the digestive process and also make sure that you are actually chewing enough other foods during the day to work your jaw muscles well.

Look up what viktoria Boutenko has to say about eating a variety of greens to avoid any negative aspects of any one food. Balance and moderation are key.

You may find one of the free online nutrition tracking website handy while you are first figuring this stuff out too. Try fitday.com, it's pretty easy to use and will give you a good general idea of anything you may be missing.

Date: February 19, 2011 09:57PM

any low sugar smoothie recipes?

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: February 19, 2011 10:18PM

One of the way to have great digestion of vegetables is to eat the vegetables that cooked food eaters naturally eat raw already - namely salad vegetables. So tender leafy greens, celery, cucumbers, ripe bell peppers, tomatoes, etc are the vegetables to focus on.

Most of the vegetables that are normally cooked by cooked food eaters often are tough or are high in starch, and cooking softens them up and makes the starch more digestible.

So eat lots of salad. Pounds of salad a day in fact.

Posted by: novice17 ()
Date: February 20, 2011 12:40PM

hi everyone this is my first message in a forum... smiling smiley i just want to post my experience.
i juiced sprouts, but i had extreme bloated...

i eat salads everyday, avoiding any sugar, i only eat cooked in the weekend, but it never happened before, just now that i've started juicing with my new juicer (yeah)

what do you think?

smiling smiley

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: February 20, 2011 01:04PM

gabriel cousens is wrong, so the original question is moot

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: February 20, 2011 06:31PM

Even if you dont eat any fruit, and eat alot of vegetables. You still eat quite a bit of sugar even if you dont taste it much. Plug in the numbers on Nutritiondata.com, you will see.

Also, You have to eat someting! If you are eating a low carb diet, than you are probably eating a high fat diet. That dosent sound like much fun to me.

Gabriel Cousens has his hat on too tight IMHO

If you really want to make vegetables easier to digest, do one or more of these three things: juice them, blend them, or cook them. You can do this in addition to eating raw salads.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2011 06:33PM by WorkoutMan.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: February 21, 2011 05:27PM

People that over think things (really smart people usually) make simple things complex. I think it's an endearing quality because you can have a lot of fun debating people that are like that. I'm one of them.

My experience when first going raw was it took me a year to be able to digest and enjoy salads. But before I could get there, I ate lots of fresh fruits, and I bought a juicer and juiced which I think helped my digestive tract to heal.

As Prana states..eat the more young tender varieties of veggies. You will never be able to eat enough raw veggies to get enough calories for your body though. Fresh ripe fruits are best, imo they are number one on foods to eat.

Love,
Prism

Date: February 21, 2011 07:39PM

well... tbh Gabriel Cousens does look a bit on the "anal" side...
but it's not like he disregards fruit... his dietary advice is more for a transition, and then later you can include fruits, starting with low and then higher, but still limit them. I agree with this..

Posted by: Cavechic ()
Date: September 23, 2013 12:10PM

I know you posted this a whiel ago but I just joined the site. Here is my .02.
Many green elafy vegetables are hard for people to digest because they contai high amounts of unsoluble fiber. If you are not already doing it, it sound sliek you may be a good candidate for the paleo diet.
I have been eating the paleo way for a few eyars now and it has drastically improved my health. I do not eat green leafy vgetables but I do consume plenty of root vegetables and squash.
I hope this helps.

Posted by: powerlifter ()
Date: September 23, 2013 12:31PM

There are some foods which just aren't meant to be consumed raw in my opinion. The dark leafy green vegetables such as kale and the cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli are some of the most powerful foods we can include in the diet, very nutrient dense and strong anti-cancer foods. Yet aren't very digestible in there raw state.

Light cooking such as with steaming makes these foods more digestible and increases the nutrient bio-availiblity by about 8 times. This will also inactivate the majority of the goitrogens these dark green vegetables contain.

Fermenting your vegetables is another method, which will make them easier to digest and supports digestion in the process. You can't ferment everything you eat though, so light cooking suffices for the hard to digest raw vegetables in my opinion.

The Natural Health Blogger

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2013 12:32PM by powerlifter.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: September 23, 2013 12:54PM

Cavechic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know you posted this a whiel ago but I just
> joined the site. Here is my .02.
> Many green elafy vegetables are hard for people to
> digest because they contai high amounts of
> unsoluble fiber. If you are not already doing it,
> it sound sliek you may be a good candidate for the
> paleo diet.
> I have been eating the paleo way for a few eyars
> now and it has drastically improved my health. I
> do not eat green leafy vgetables but I do consume
> plenty of root vegetables and squash.
> I hope this helps.

That is why juicing and green smoothies were discovered.
Most root vegetables cannot be eaten raw. Potatoes, yams.
You may be feeling good but what will happen in the long run?
Some recent developments in this forum are moving us backward. Fermenting does not preserve rawness. it is a step backward.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2013 12:57PM by RawPracticalist.

Posted by: powerlifter ()
Date: September 23, 2013 03:49PM

To be fair fermented food has been used for thousands upon thousands of years as a food preservation method and as a vital food source for many indigenous cultures, compare that to the likes of juicing and high power blended green smoothies which are a relatively new invention in comparison.

Fermented foods have been a solid part of many traditional diets, which frequently showed lower levels of disease overall, especially gastro-intestinal disorders.

Im a fan of smoothies and vegetable juicing in moderation too, but there no better a method than fermenting food at the same time.

The lack of beneficial bacteria containing foods is one of the most significant problems with the standard diet of modern times. Even those who eat high fruit and vegetable diets often still suffer from various digestive and gut flora related ailments such as food allergies and leaky gut. I think overall a small amount of fermented foods can play a beneficial role in the diet, especially in relation to digestive and immune health.

The Natural Health Blogger

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2013 03:52PM by powerlifter.

Date: September 23, 2013 03:59PM

I agree with you powerlifter, the health artist formerly known as powerlifer.

A small amount of fermented foods can be beneficial. My problem with fermentation is that there is no scientific tools to determine if it was a good batch or a bad batch. The only tool you have is the smell. With that I prefer the juicing and smoothies and their limitations.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 24, 2013 04:28AM

raw practicalist

that's the first time i saw the phrase " health artist"

wow, that's so cool!

did u make that up?

me likes smiling smiley

Date: September 24, 2013 11:59AM

Yes I made it up. Powerlif[t]er deserves it.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: September 24, 2013 08:49PM

There is a trick used in the raw food world to make wraps using collard greens. You put the collards into the freezer until they are frozen, and when you are ready to eat them, just put the collards into some lukewarm water until they are unfrozen. The freezing will break down the cellulose walls such that the collards are soft and easy to eat.

I would imagine that this trick would also work for kale and other leafy vegetables that are high in cellulose.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables