Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Broccoli
Posted by: rosie ()
Date: September 16, 2006 08:43PM

Hi I recently heard that raw broccoli is slightly toxic in large quantities.
a friend of mine informed me of this and i haven't done the research and want to know if anyone knows more on this.
I've been eating broc raw for years. many prior to my total raw switch. hmm

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Broccoli
Posted by: alive! ()
Date: September 16, 2006 10:56PM

I don't really have any facts (research) about broccoli to back this up, but I feel that many foods that we regularly eat have the potential to be toxic if we eat too much of them. But, "too much of them" is probably a HUGE amount that nobody ever eats, anyway. I read about parsley being toxic, buckwheat sprouts being toxic, etc. Maybe if you're juicing them on a daily basis, but I seriously doubt that eating them is going to become a problem.

For many reasons, I try to eat a large variety of foods. I'm not one to pick out 4 or 5 highly nutritional foods and then just live on them. I don't think it's healthy to have the same smoothie ingredients or the same salad ingredients day after day, either. I figure that if I just mix it up and rotate foods, I'll be OK.

Life Is Good!

alive!

Re: Broccoli
Posted by: chickory ()
Date: September 18, 2006 03:00PM

Broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables (cabbage, mustard, kale family) contain a chemical that inhibits the absorption of iodine, which affects the thyroid gland. I know one woman who developed a goiter from juicing a lot of broccoli.

Many if not most foods have something that affects something else, so I try to eat a variety of vegetables to balance things out.

I've read that foragers are familiar with and use over a hundred different plants in their diet.

Chickory

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables