Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Top 3 Foods According to Hippocrates Institute Director
Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: February 21, 2011 12:53AM

Dr. Clement exclaimed that the top 3 foods are:

1) Algae from Klamath Lake
2) Sea Vegetables
3) Sprouts/ Grasses

I am new to this so I went to the store but could not find these foods, am I on the wrong planet?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Top 3 Foods According to Hippocrates Institute Director
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: February 21, 2011 01:05AM

What store did you visit? Any health store or Whole Foods would have all three.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: February 21, 2011 01:05AM

I wouldn't say those are the top three foods at all. Maybe kale, chard, and collards.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 21, 2011 01:09AM

Hello, RawPracticalist!

Sea vegetables are sea weeds, and are usually sold dried in packets at the health food store. They are generally heat processed, so are not truly raw, but even so have a wealth of minerals and iodine. They need to be rehydrated for use. If you live near the seaside, you may be able to find things like kelp raw.

Sprouts and grasses(wheatgrass, barleygrass) can be found in clamshell packaging[in the case of sprouts] and in black oblong growing trays[in the case of grasses] in the cooler at many health food and even grocery stores, but are cheaper to grow at home from seeds. Sprouts are nutrient powerhouses and make a tasty addition to salads and grasses are juiced to be consumed as a medicinal beverage. Please visit the Juicing and Sprouting forums at this site for ideas.

Klamath Lake algae is a spot of controversy; I have read research suggesting that Klamath Lake is prone to agricultural and lumbering toxin runoff, so I don't consume it typically, but assessments of its toxicity have varied. Algae in general can be very beneficial, as it is high in minerals and protein and is easy for the body to digest. Some people use chlorella or spirulina as a substitute for Klamath Lake algae with success.

Good luck with your discoveries smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2011 01:10AM by Tamukha.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: February 21, 2011 11:22AM

The rest are ok but if he truly does believe that klamath lake algae is good for you then i wouldnt trust a word he says. The algae contains toxic compounds which can cause alot of problems including liver damage.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 21, 2011 01:57PM

He is a ridiculously well researched man though, he really knows his stuff. I wonder if that is an old recommendation or if he stands by it today. He would have tested it extensively before making such a statement, this I know.

Date: February 21, 2011 02:03PM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He is a ridiculously well researched man though,
> he really knows his stuff. I wonder if that is an
> old recommendation or if he stands by it today. He
> would have tested it extensively before making
> such a statement, this I know.

i know nothing of him really so cant vouch for him like you can coco, but it has been known for at least 10-15 years about the toxic microcystins and anatoxins for example in klamath lake algae which can cause liver and nervous system damage.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2011 02:05PM by powerlifer.

Date: February 21, 2011 02:24PM

The sprouty house I managed was a Hippocrates affiliate and I met him on several occasions, attended lectures. You would actually like him very much I think, he is a no-nonsense kind of guy, very science based nutrition, etc.
It's impossible to get in touch with him though, the centre is very busy. I'll see what I can find out.

Posted by: WanderRA ()
Date: February 21, 2011 02:34PM

Was man designed to dive underwater and eat the plants growing on the seabed?

no.

this is why I personally avoid seaweeds.

Date: February 21, 2011 02:38PM

Theres no reason to avoid seaweeds, seaweeds have a wealth of documented health benefits and are a great source of vitamins, minerals and other health promoting compounds.

Man probably wasn't designed to sit on the internet like we all do either but i guess that's progession.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2011 02:40PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: February 21, 2011 02:47PM

Should not the top 3 foods be appealing to humans like a mango or ripe banana?
Should not they be easily available without swimming under water?

Date: February 21, 2011 02:51PM

From what i have read several species of seaweed are actually washed up on shore rather than underwater.

I guess it isnt about taste here more about nutrition, i dont agree with him anyway especially on the k.lake alage. Seaweeds i do though as they are a great source of minerals some that you don't get elsewhere, has documented anti-cancer properties etc.

Sprouts are not bad either alfalfa is a great source of minerals due to its long root system.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2011 02:54PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: February 21, 2011 05:25PM

Agreed about blue green algae being toxic, [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]. In addition to liver toxins, it's a probable tumor promoter.

For sea veggies, depends on the veggie. Stay away from hijiki due to arsenic contamination. [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov] Dulse, wakame, kombu, arame are all fine in moderation (say 3 oz a day or less) because of their iodine and sodium content. Best.

Paul

Date: February 21, 2011 05:47PM

Kiss that alfalfa goodbye, it's all going to be GMO in just a few short years. Thankfully clover sprouts have a nearly identical nutritional profile.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: February 21, 2011 09:49PM

Are those items classified as 'food'? If you eat sea vegetables that would be food to me..but grass, algae, things like that..I don't think so.

Love,
Prism

Date: February 21, 2011 10:30PM

I guess anything of nutritional value can be classified as food but i do agree with what your saying prism. I view the latter wheatgrass juice, algaes such as chlorella etc supplements to an already sound diet.

Date: February 21, 2011 10:33PM

Yes..to me 'food for humans' is a life sustaining substance..how much grass would a human need to stay alive, or algae? Or even sea veggies?

Love,
Prism

Date: February 21, 2011 10:46PM

Well wheatgrasses nutritional profile doesnt differ that much from other greens, wikipedia shows you, wheatgrass wins some bits and the other greens win elsewhere. It would be the same question how much spinach would you need to live, and by that point your thyroid would have well and truly shut down due to the goitrogens contained.

I think the point is that nutrition is about variety, rather than one food. Variety is where the greater scope of nutrients come aswell as the phytonutrients and unqiue compounds these fruits and vegetables contained. Why have one anti-cancer/anti-viral/antioxidant etc phytonutrient when we can have a scope of them via different foods.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2011 10:51PM by powerlifer.

Date: February 21, 2011 11:07PM

To extend this discussion even more..if we were to pick one group of foods to live on wouldn't it have to be fruits? We are lucky in that we have diversity and we can go back and forth from fruits to veggies. But if I were stranded someplace, I could live on fruits, but could I live on veggies alone?

How much variety is required to have good health?

Now we've expanded our discussion to other foods and substances, not just the

1) Algae from Klamath Lake
2) Sea Vegetables
3) Sprouts/ Grasses

Love,
Prism

Date: February 21, 2011 11:12PM

If i was stranded somewhere in the name of this discussion id eat anything i had my hands on to survive, if fruits were freely available in this hypothetical situation id pick the fruits of course. Fruits are good but so are vegetables, nut, seeds, seaweed etc

I guess my point again is that variety of food is the key to health, i couldn't or wouldn't be able to pick a single type of food as your likely to be able to live off one type of food or it wouldn't be healthy.

Date: February 21, 2011 11:28PM

You changed the situation about being stranded. If you could CHOOSE one food to eat say for 1 year, what would be your choice?

What would be the best choice?

Love,
Prism

Date: February 21, 2011 11:30PM

Greens. Fruit if it included the non-sweet kind. I would be hard pressed to do without veggies though.

Date: February 21, 2011 11:33PM

Prism Wrote:
> You changed the situation about being stranded. If
> you could CHOOSE one food to eat say for 1 year,
> what would be your choice?
>
> What would be the best choice?
>
> Love,
> Prism

Thats my problem mate, i cant think of one food that would able to sustain human life on its own. If pushed fruits, greens or seaweeds. But again you cant get all the variety of nutrients from one. So im stuck here.

If i was eating nothing but one food type for a year id probably have some health issues whether major or simple.

Date: February 22, 2011 12:12AM

Ok..sounds realistic to me. Aren't we so lucky to have such variety to choose from!

Love,
Prism

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: February 22, 2011 01:49AM

Sprouts have more vibrant life force than other greens they are still growing while you are eating them.

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: February 22, 2011 01:48PM

Im not a fan of Brian Clement. Wow he has given us the foods highest in nutrients, big deal. He says we should eat algae because it was the first plant and its been around for 20 zillion years, who cares. Just another health guru focusing too much on nutrients and not enough on the overall picture.

There's more to diet, than just nutrition.

Posted by: proteus ()
Date: February 25, 2011 10:13AM

banana who Wrote:
> What store did you visit? Any health store or
> Whole Foods would have all three.

can i buy wheatgrass at whole foods ? is it expensive ?

i am currently using green superfood powders in my smoothie but i have a green star juicer and would rather juice the wheatgrass directly if it wasn't too expensive and if the juicer handled it.

Date: February 25, 2011 11:11AM

Wholefoods is obviously a US thing if i remember, but many health stores do the grow yourself wheatgrass trays.

Just stick them on your windowsill.

Date: February 25, 2011 02:32PM

proteus Wrote:
would rather juice the wheatgrass directly if it wasn't
> too expensive and if the juicer handled it.

A greenstar is designed to juice leafy greens like wheatgrass. See if you can grow a few trays on your own, it's cheaper to be sure but you have to be there to water them daily

Date: February 25, 2011 09:46PM

Hippocrates Institute is headed up by Dr. Brian Clements. I read this site which pertains to E3Live’s BrainON and Hippocrates “BRAIN” blue green algae product. [e3livecancer.blogspot.com] I Emailed Dr. Clements asking for documentation from his side. He had none. Hippocrates claims that they preserve their “BRAIN” with grape seed extract. Grape seed extract is not a true preservative and could never preserve their algae product on the shelf for two years. They lack integrity. I do not trust them like I did before.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables