Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Grain Issues
Posted by: avanahall ()
Date: September 18, 2006 10:20AM

I know most of you dont eat bread - BUT your a group full of wisdom -

I have been taking the plunge very slowly by just eating raw whenever at all possible.

I have been enjoying making a guacamole with all sorts of great veggies in it - I have been eating it on EZEKIEL BREAD - the "sprouted grains"

The issue is that I start to feel bloating and a stomache plug up feeling.

1. Does this show I have a sensitivity to grains? If so, can someone lead me to a website with alot of this info.

2. Any ideas for something to eat guacamole on that takes the place of bread or chips?

I think I need to get off breads - but I have no replacementsad smiley

Thanks a bunch - HUGS

Christine

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Grain Issues
Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: September 18, 2006 11:11AM

How about slices of carrot, cucumber, courgette, etc to dip in the guacamole. You could even make wide slices of courgette (sorry, zuchini for you Americans) to spread it on.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: Lorretta ()
Date: September 18, 2006 11:51AM

Hi avanahall , I experience the same problems as you when eating breads.

I make a variety of flax crackers( savoury and sweet) I also sprout grains, process them and dehydrate to make wraps.

If you dont have a dehydrator, you can adapt your oven for a while to see how you get on with this type of food. Its not ideal, but, It may help you decide whether you wish to buy one.

Dehydrated veggies like sweet potato chips are a brilliant alternative, when only the crunch will do!

Slice sweet potato thinly, coat sparingly with olive oil and spices of your choice. Spread thinly over baking sheet. Dehydrate or leave in the oven over night on the lowest heat option, leaving the door ajar.
If they are not crisp enough just leave them a little longer.

Hope you enjoy them
Blessings
lorretta

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 18, 2006 02:31PM

I, too, have trouble with grains. I love Ez. bread, but can't eat it and feel well. Same for all grains for me I think. And they make me crave MORE. More grains and more other cooked food. I also will usually gain about 2 lbs. per day on grains. Yikes. I have learned my lesson.
I love guacamole, too. Why not just eat it with a fork along with sliced or chopped tomatoes, etc.?Basically, whatever sounds good that is good for you.

Becky

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: September 18, 2006 02:41PM

You could try making your own sprouted breads out of grains that you might not be sensitve to (gluten-free) like Kamut or Spelt.

-If you want to go all-raw...you could try whole portabello mushroom caps.....or romaine / cabbage / kale leaves to wrap your stuff in...or to spread things on.

-Nature is a little different. There just aren't many things like bread or crackers! LOL.

-David Mason

Posted by: purenkind ()
Date: September 18, 2006 05:11PM

i love guacamole and i use celery stalks for dipping. i don't even miss bread or chips at all!

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: September 18, 2006 07:12PM

I can't eat cooked grains at all. It doesn't matter if they're sprouted (like Ezekiel bread) or not. If they're cooked I feel terrible after eating them. Sprouted raw grains make me feel good. That's just me. I add them to salads.

Best wishes, Ally

Posted by: ryandvan ()
Date: September 18, 2006 07:36PM

You could be gluten intolerant. This is not uncommon. My mom was so intolerant she couldn't hold a loaf of breat. She did a NAET treatment ( [www.naet.com] ) and can now eat grains no problem.

-Ryan
radicalvitality.com

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: September 19, 2006 05:03AM

This looks like a bad food combining issue. One way to test this is to do the following:

On an empty stomach, try eating a meal of ezekiel bread without anything else, no guac, no avos, no jams, nothing. See how well this digests. If it digests just fine, then you are not allergic to the bread. However, if this is hard to digest, then you have problem with this food.

Them suspicious combination is mixing a fat like guacamole with a starch - the bread.

Posted by: avanahall ()
Date: September 19, 2006 11:44AM

See, I was correct - you are a group full of WISDOM:-)

Bryan or others, what would it feel like to be "hard to digest"?

I know that sounds like a strange question -- but I dont know what is normal or not - so used to eating garbage.

When I eat beans, grains or ezekel bread - I get a full, bloated stomache - seems like it gets plugged up, certainly not like eating a bowl of raw fruit or veggies. Not to mention the craving for MORE.....

Could it not be the "mass of the food" that causes it to be like a brick?

I guess - I am wondering if I have a problem or if it is normal for people to feel more full and bloated when eating these things?

I will try the combing or lack of combining test and see what happens

Blessings
Chrisitne

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2006 11:45AM by avanahall.

Posted by: khale ()
Date: September 19, 2006 01:20PM

Grains need to be chewed and chewed and chewed and thoroughly mixed with saliva until they are essentially digested before you even swallow them. Bloat often indicates that one is either eating too much grain or not chewing the grain thoroughly, ie, eating too fast. (The same goes with veggies of course and really any food) Ezekiel bread is extremely dense. A loaf of it lasts me on average two weeks. I eat a sliver at a time. Most often problems with grains (as others have already pointed out indirectly) is that we eat too much of them. In my experience, 3tblsp. or a quarter cup or equivalent of cooked grains is plenty.

Avocados mix fairly well with grains as they contain their own enzymes but the combo can be a bit calorie dense or "fattening" if one eats too much or doesn't balance out the rest of the days meals to accomodate. For instance, if I eat an avocado sandwich or have diced avocado on brown rice, I will not eat any more fats the rest of the day. This is only necessary while still eating cooked food of course...The more raw one goes, the less one has to worry about all that.

~Kathleen

Posted by: Yogamama ()
Date: September 19, 2006 03:06PM

I can't eat unsprouted grains either. When I was eating cooked foods (as a vegetarian) I ate lots of brown rice and cooked grains, and could never figure out why I was SO terribly constipated. Once I switched to raw foods and cut out the unsprouted grains, all of my problems stopped. It was great.

And avanhall, like you, if I eat them, I just crave them more and more! It's crazy!

Now when I make "wraps" for dinners, I wrap what I am eating in a collard green leaf and it is so good. I like the collard green leaves because they hold together really well and have such a nice texture.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables